NHL Ice Archive (FrozenFaceoff.net)

billman29

As much as I hate the orca, I would be in favour of having a double logo, fin to fin.

If I had my way, I would have the Stick 'n Rink on one side and the skating Johnny Canuck on the other side.

This is why you won't get a job designing centre ice logos.

Tell that to Dallas 1994, such an idea with two different logos happened.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I hate the orca, I would be in favour of having a double logo, fin to fin.

If I had my way, I would have the Stick 'n Rink on one side and the skating Johnny Canuck on the other side.

DAL+94.png

(The ice in question)

I figured they destroyed all footage of NHL hockey ever played in the goddamn Greensboro Coliseum, so nice detective work on that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ok well just because its been done doesn't mean it's suddenly a great idea. As you can see it looks pretty bad and would probably look even worse with those two Canucks logos as they're completely different shapes.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Just disagree and leave it at that. No need for dry sarcasm.

I like the idea of having a team script somewhere along the boards like the North Stars did up there. I would want it behind the goals, but then you're losing billable space, and this whole hockey thing barely works as it is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Preview of (hypothetical new ices, based on logo and arena name changes) for the 2013-2014 season

*-New Name

**-Anniversary

***-New Logo

Canadian Tire Centre* (Ottawa Senators)

OTT+14.png

American Airlines Center*** (Dallas Stars)

DAL+14.png

BT&T Center** (Florida Panthers)

FLR+13.png

SAP Center* (San Jose Sharks)

934808_538389292886298_587486053_n.jpg

Bridgestone Arena** (Nashville Predators)

NSH+14.png

I hate the red line sometimes. Since teams are so insistent on one large logo instead of two smaller ones, the line really ruins a lot of them.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I hate the red line sometimes. Since teams are so insistent on one large logo instead of two smaller ones, the line really ruins a lot of them.

You bring up a fair point and it led me to wondering, unrelated: when did the shift happen, with teams going from two smaller logos in the circle to one large-ish emblem taking up the entirety of it.

In 1990, 14 of the 21 franchises utilized twin logos (the Oilers could be counted as a 15th club if you consider their twin logos which touch the circle as fitting within the criteria of this study)

EDM+94.png

In 1995, 17 of the 26 franchises used twin logos within the circle (Calgary at the start of the season used two logos within the circle before reverting to a single logo weeks later)

In 2000, 7 of the 28 franchises used twin logos within the circle (Pittsburgh for half the year)

In 2006, 4 of the 30 franchises used twin logos within the circle (Edmonton did for the first 2-3 weeks of the season)

In 2013, only 2 of the 30 franchises used twin logos within the circle (Montreal and Philadelphia)

Archived