Sports logo prototypes

jakemon08

I could be wrong but I think only the Hawaii one is a prototype. Maybe Virginia. Some of those teams folded through half a season, but they still were put out there. I wish I could find some film/pics. Jax colors were black and silver. BTW, Houston were the Texans and Memphis were the Southmen. They did have the Grizzlies for a second nickname. Philadelphia's name was Bell. No "s". New York Stars moved to Charlotte in mid season and became the Hornets. Houston Texans also moved mid season to Shreveport. They were the Steamer. Detroit Wheels moved to London Ontario for a game before they shut it down.

Oh, and this crazy-ass color scheme:

SouthernCaliforniaSun_FRC_1975_SCC_SRGB.png

74sun.png

And yes, those colors do represent the official Sun Pantone values.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this on ebay. any idea if this is a prototype of the TATC jersey, or just a navy red sox jersey that the seller says is a TATC. No front view.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boston-Red-Sox-21-DAN-BULLER-Game-Used-Worn-Jersey-Futures-Turn-Ahead-The-Clock-/290934990799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bd13a7cf

It's neither:

Here we have a 2008 Lowell Spinners/Boston Red Sox Game Used Worn Jersey. This was worn by #21 pitcher Dan Buller during a game on 9/5/2008 VS the Valley Cats where the Lowell Spinners & Tri City Valley Cats wore jerseys of there (sic) MLB Teams the Boston Red Sox and Houston Astros

TATC jerseys had cap sleeves.

The World Football League

fast_facts_02.jpg

If the NFL re-incarnated version of the Houston Texans were smart, they'd buy the rights and use the WFL-version logo as a secondary. As a logo created in the 70's, that looks way better then the abomination secondary they have now. And it has a small bit of history tied to it lol

NYCdog.png

I found this on ebay. any idea if this is a prototype of the TATC jersey, or just a navy red sox jersey that the seller says is a TATC. No front view.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43bd13a7cf

It's neither:

Here we have a 2008 Lowell Spinners/Boston Red Sox Game Used Worn Jersey. This was worn by #21 pitcher Dan Buller during a game on 9/5/2008 VS the Valley Cats where the Lowell Spinners & Tri City Valley Cats wore jerseys of there (sic) MLB Teams the Boston Red Sox and Houston Astros

TATC jerseys had cap sleeves.

Oh Okay, thanks for clearing that up

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

I could be wrong but I think only the Hawaii one is a prototype. Maybe Virginia. Some of those teams folded through half a season, but they still were put out there. I wish I could find some film/pics. Jax colors were black and silver. BTW, Houston were the Texans and Memphis were the Southmen. They did have the Grizzlies for a second nickname. Philadelphia's name was Bell. No "s". New York Stars moved to Charlotte in mid season and became the Hornets. Houston Texans also moved mid season to Shreveport. They were the Steamer. Detroit Wheels moved to London Ontario for a game before they shut it down.

Even for the 70s, they were a... bold... choice for a pro sports team, but it really is a perfect representation of the distorted, purplish cast your vision can take on as your eyes fatigue after a long time out in the sun. The combination has a bit of a sun-bleached feel to it, too. Other than being exceptionally garish, I think this was a great match between nickname and colours.

Back on topic:

Washington Capitals (later Washington Ambassadors > Virginia Ambassadors > Florida Blazers > San Antonio Wings)

washington_unused_wfl1.jpg

Detroit Wheels prototype helmets

DetroitWheelsprototype2WFL--501207950_o.jpg DetroitWheelsprototype2WFL--501207749_o.jpg

DetroitWheelsprototype1WFL--503125756_o.jpg DetroitWheelsprototype1WFL--503125892_o.jpg

I know I may have to duck after saying this, but that is an all time top five color scheme for me. Maybe top three if I sat and thought about it.

I just bought a 1975 Sun Media Guide and a large full-color team picture/poster of the Sun.

Really bold move choosing that color scheme; even for the '70s.

I watched as many WFL games on TV as I could back in the day; I was really hoping for a merger, but it wasn't meant to be.

I know I may have to duck after saying this, but that is an all time top five color scheme for me. Maybe top three if I sat and thought about it.

I'm with you, not top five or anything, but I absolutely love that color scheme.

I'm with you, not top five or anything, but I absolutely love that color scheme.

Basically the same colour the Shreveport Pirates used in the CFL: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/1505

Basically the same colour the Shreveport Pirates used in the CFL: http://www.sportslog...logos/view/1505

Not really. That's lavender and red whereas the Sun used magenta and orange.

Basically the same colour the Shreveport Pirates used in the CFL: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/1505

Well...sort of:

ShreveportPirates_FRC_1995_SCC_SRGB.png

...but you're going to say that, then let's just bring the Phoenix Suns into the mix:

PhoenixSuns_FRC_1974_SCC_SRGB.png

Or, let's just include anyone with Purple and Orange:

ClemsonU_ATH_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Bottom line is - that shade of Magenta was and still is unique.

Is there a reason they chose to keep the Kingdome name while still choosing the Seahawks as the team name?

Because Seattle is in King County. The official name of the stadium was the King County Multipurpose Domed Stadium.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Basically the same colour the Shreveport Pirates used in the CFL: http://www.sportslog...logos/view/1505

Well...sort of:

ShreveportPirates_FRC_1995_SCC_SRGB.png

Bottom line is - that shade of Magenta was and still is unique.

Wow, I must say, the mothership graphic is all out of whack then. Looking at the logo he linked to, the colors look lavender and red, not purple and orange.

Wow, I must say, the mothership graphic is all out of whack then. Looking at the logo he linked to, the colors look lavender and red, not purple and orange.

Yep. A poor trace that I believe originated from the beloved theSLE site that is no more.

My colors come straight from an official Style Guide sheet.

Archived