Sports logo prototypes

jakemon08

Casey holding a photo of a Met uniform prototype:

279107876_e5ac3a2612_o.jpg

The tail eventually made an appearance on the Mets' wordmark for the 1993 and 1994 seasons only.

I've always thought the tail was really unnecessary on that wordmark. Casey was great however.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be wrong but I think only the Hawaii one is a prototype. Maybe Virginia. Some of those teams folded through half a season, but they still were put out there. I wish I could find some film/pics. Jax colors were black and silver. BTW, Houston were the Texans and Memphis were the Southmen. They did have the Grizzlies for a second nickname. Philadelphia's name was Bell. No "s". New York Stars moved to Charlotte in mid season and became the Hornets. Houston Texans also moved mid season to Shreveport. They were the Steamer. Detroit Wheels moved to London Ontario for a game before they shut it down.

Memphis started out as the Toronto Northmen but someone else owned that name. Charlotte played as the Stars initially after moving before taking the Hornets name. Houston has a logo similar to this but is rarely seen. Virginia moved to DC and had reworked their logo with a silhouette of the Capitol and changed the V to a W in the same style.

are we sure thats not just a concept, and not a prototype

Apparently, this is from someone that was involved in the redesign. You can read about it here: http://www.bakasmedia.com/2012/01/the-denver-broncos-brand-fifteen-years-later/

I can certainly say I've never seen this before.

Sketches.png

I think you buried the lead (however, excellent find)

These helmets are fantastic.

Finalizing.png

The first one looks like a fast food restaurant's wordmark

The other problem with it is that the "s" looks like it was added on as an afterthought. It is completely disconnected from other letters. The capital R can be separate, but not one of the lower case letters.

Not to mention it looks more like an & than an s

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realize one of Andrew Harrington's designs was considered for the Flames third jersey.
boot_skate.png

http://dribbble.com/shots/762363-Boot-Skate?list=users

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

From Darren Rovells twitter account. More merchandise from Tampa Bay Giants

BdGhP9IIQAEXYTR.jpg

This must have been closer to happening then we all know

Third parties can move very quickly to make merchandise in order to strike while the iron is hot. I remember having a Baltimore Browns t-shirt when I was younger, and there was only a three-month window between the announcement that the Browns were moving to Baltimore, and the announcement that the Browns name was going to stay in Cleveland. I believe it was also about a three-month period between the time that the sale to the Naimoli group was agreed to in principle, and when the National League vetoed said sale.

BdGhP9IIQAEXYTR.jpg

Third parties can move very quickly to make merchandise in order to strike while the iron is hot. I remember having a Baltimore Browns t-shirt when I was younger, and there was only a three-month window between the announcement that the Browns were moving to Baltimore, and the announcement that the Browns name was going to stay in Cleveland. I believe it was also about a three-month period between the time that the sale to the Naimoli group was agreed to in principle, and when the National League vetoed said sale.

I remember the Baltimore Browns t-shirts hitting the market almost as soon as the move was announced.

Also, I can go one better than remembering having a Baltimore Browns t-shirt (which I never did). I still HAVE a Baltimore Cardinals t-shirt from when Bill Bidwill was shopping the Cardinals around before moving the team to Phoenix. I wore it to a Super Bowl party when they played the Steelers.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

BdGhP9IIQAEXYTR.jpg

I remember the Baltimore Browns t-shirts hitting the market almost as soon as the move was announced.

Also, I can go one better than remembering having a Baltimore Browns t-shirt (which I never did). I still HAVE a Baltimore Cardinals t-shirt from when Bill Bidwill was shopping the Cardinals around before moving the team to Phoenix. I wore it to a Super Bowl party when they played the Steelers.

You have to post a pic. This was the only think I could find on the Web

7827973992_c4ec63227d.jpg

Wait so the Balt Browns shirts were officially licensed and not bootleg?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wait so the Balt Browns shirts were officially licensed and not bootleg?

I don't see why they wouldn't be. The team planned on keeping the Browns name upon moving. So "Baltimore Browns" would have been the official name in that period between the move the league officially decreeing that the Browns name and identity was to remain in Cleveland.

Was that really the case though? I remember that time very well (I was in college near Pittsburgh, and was amazed at how Steelers fans actually rallied around teh Browns fans during that time) and I do remember the team being unofficially referred to as the "future Baltimore Browns", but I don't remember anything official from the club nor the league that it was ever going to be the case. Actually, I vaguely remember something from Sports Center that there was a lot of sentiment among Baltimorians (whatever they're called) to rename / rebrand the team, so it wouldn't be a reminder that they had another city's team, like how the continued existence of the Colts name in Indy is a constant reminder to Baltimorites of what they lost.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I remember that at least at the beginning there was no indication the team would change its name (it does, after all, have a long and even glorious history).

There's a scene in an episode of Homicide: Life on the Street where two characters are talking about the team. There's a young cop (can't remember which one) talking with Ned Beatty as the grizzled veteran about the loss of the Colts. The young cop says something like "We have a football team. We have the Browns." and Beatty replies with "The Browns belong in Cleveland. The Colts belong in Baltimore."

There was definitely a sense that they would be the Baltimore Browns, until Cleveland managed to cause sufficient uproar over the relocation itself that the league and Modell had to improvise.

Archived