Teams that never had a bad look

kajeet

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hartford Whalers

Really? The Hartford Whalers never had a bad look? I have one word for you: Cooperalls.

francis_cooperalls_tall.jpg

tumblr_kuj8egyawK1qaxe6do1_250.jpg

The team's iconic logo notwithstanding, the presence of the Cooperalls rendered the Hartford Whalers' 1982-83 uniforms the definition of an exceedingly "bad look".

im not a hockey guy at all, but i dont think that uniform is all that bad

Its easy to pick a team with a nice uniform who never changes it (Celtics, Raiders, Dodgers...), but what about a list of teams who never had a bad look, with a minimum of 4 or 5 changes? That's the trick.

that is tougher, but so many teams have done designs that were right for the time. its easy to look back on them today and say how bad it looks, but they were stylin' in the day. i do believe great design is timeless but i wouldnt say someone was doing it wrng if they were being trendy. im thinking of the Utah Jazz right now

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

im not a hockey guy at all, but i dont think that uniform is all that bad

We'll have to agree to disagree. In my opinion, the Cooperalls render the uniform an aesthetic abomination.

is it because it looks like Adidas? or because theres so much white across the bottom of the jersey? i just cant find a reason to really hate it from these photos

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

is it because it looks like Adidas? or because theres so much white across the bottom of the jersey? i just cant find a reason to really hate it from these photos

It is because the Cooperalls were full-length pants. There's nothing wrong with wearing a pair of trousers... unless you're a player doing so on the ice-surface in the middle of a hockey game.

The Cooperalls aside, I also preferred these Hartford Whalers uniforms...

image_jerseyi.gif

image_jerseyh.gif

... to the predominantly Green versions.

There should be a statute of limitations on never. For example, anything before 1930 shouldn't count.

I probably should put the cutoff at around 1940s since most of the designs before that were kind of weird.I think around the 1940s are when most uniforms started to look good.

The Steelers have always looked awful. The lopsided helmets. Mismatching stripes. If not for winning a few games in the 1970s, those atrocious uniforms would be long gone.

Sour grapes much? Those teams are, arguably, the greatest dynasty in NFL history, at least post merger fur sur.

No sour grapes. I'm simply stating that had they not won those Super Bowls, the present-day Steelers wouldn't look so sloppy and outdated.

They only look sloppy because today's uniforms are shoehorned into templates... not that I wouldn't love to see a Steelers uniform with Oregon's diamond-pate shoulders from a few years back.

Michigan had those awful tusk uniforms, so that's a mark against them.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived