NFL 100th Anniversary - Finished

hockey week

The NFL 100th anniversary is not that far away. Considering the advance of merchandising, there is no reason why the NFL would not want to bring in more revenue with new logos and jerseys, or even easier, old logos and jerseys brought back.

Like the AFL celebration, these are one-off jerseys, used once, sold in droves, and generally forgotten. However, the entire league will wear a 100th anniversary patch. The patch design, is, I admit, mediocre at best, but it wasn't my focus. I would like to hear feedback on how to improve on the basic idea, however.

Also, like the AFL celebration, which featured teams like the Dallas Texans and the Houston Oilers coming back for a game or two, old defunct franchises will be adopted by a local team for merchandising purposes.

Note, though the team name is on the back, that is not for everybody. Rather, it's a placeholder so it is easier to identify each actual team. In the game, each player would wear their own name on their back. All of these are done as-per NFL regulation, with a number on the front, but, like the Nike Pro Combat, TV numbers were not included unless used in the original jersey being mimicked.

First up, Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns, or Dayton Triangles at Canton Bulldogs

cincinnati-daytonatcleveland-canton.png

and the Minnesota Vikings at the New England Patriots, or Duluth Eskimos at Boston Yanks

minnesota-duluthatnewengland-boston.png

Was debating swapping out the Yanks for the Providence Steam Roller, but I figure the Boston connection was more important

and, to show that not all of these are adopt-a-team, the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1962 throwbacks at the Indianapolis Colts as the 1954 Baltimore Colts

Pittsburgh-1962atIndianapolis-Baltimore.png

To come:

the Eagles as the Frankford Yellow Jackets at the Arizona/Chicago Cardinals,

The Giants vs the Staten Island Stapletons

Green Bay Packers vs Buffalo Bison

Los Angeles Dons vs the 49ers

and so on. Have suggestions for matchups? List them below. I'm trying to not give any one team more than one game, but I'm debating adding a second game to everybody with more recent throwbacks, but haven't gotten that far.

So what do you think? C&C please.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First up, Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns, or Dayton Triangles at Canton Bulldogs

cincinnati-daytonatcleveland-canton.png

If anything, the Colts should be the Dayton Triangles since the original Colts were the 1952 Dallas Texans who'd evolved from the Triangles. Let the Bengals have a look based on either the Cincinnati Celts(not that significant to the NFL, but certainly significant to the development of pro football in general) or the Columbus Panhandles.

I'd also put a big C on the Bulldogs' jerseys with smaller numbers instead of the way you have it. The Bulldogs had what is probably the most iconic uniform from that era and the C was the most distinctive part.

Other than that, I love this series! Especially the Eskimos-Yanks concept.

If anything, the Colts should be the Dayton Triangles since the original Colts were the 1952 Dallas Texans who'd evolved from the Triangles. Let the Bengals have a look based on either the Cincinnati Celts(not that significant to the NFL, but certainly significant to the development of pro football in general) or the Columbus Panhandles.

I'd also put a big C on the Bulldogs' jerseys with smaller numbers instead of the way you have it. The Bulldogs had what is probably the most iconic uniform from that era and the C was the most distinctive part.

Other than that, I love this series! Especially the Eskimos-Yanks concept.

Some of this is meant to show legitimate family-tree elements to it, like the Chicago Cardinals with Arizona or the Baltimore Colts with Indianapolis, but when it comes to these other franchises, really a truly, they are orphaned. There might be some obscure relation, but it's probably not worth arguing over. I thought of this simply, Dayton isn't that far from Cincinnati, I don't have another good throwback for Cinci, and I had one for Indianapolis, so, the choice to me was easy: they're the Bengals' property.

I haven't seen any images for the Celts' uniforms, the black/gold thing would be more confusing with Pittsburgh in the division, and as much as I like the Panhandles, their logo is a keystone, which Pennsylvania has claimed pretty outright, and the mixup of their iconography would be far more confusing than Dayton/Cincinnati.

I did listen on the Bulldogs though. The C is pretty iconic, and though I wanted to avoid too many logo-centric jerseys, this one should be there. I DID however, simplify the sleeves on that (i.e. got rid of the stripes), with the yoke and the waist-stripes, it was just too much.

cincinnati-daytonatcleveland-canton2.png

Thank you for the kind words, though, and the C&C. If you like the Yanks, you'll have to debate with Julius over whether or not it's better than the next image.

The Yanks look good, but I would love to see the Patriots play as the Providence Steam Roller!

Ask and ye shall receive. I made the concept, only to realize that the only team that could use it was already done. Is this better or worse than the Boston Yanks? I honestly can't decide (Yanks have much better logos, the Steam Rollers have a much better name and a more unique jersey)

minnesota-duluthatnewengland-providence.png

Like an optometrist, better or worse?

one problem: those wouldn't even be recognizable by team. when i see the triangles i think colts, not bengals

At a glance, you're right, they're not recognizable. However, based on the AFL celebration, without prior knowledge, how do you know that the Oilers were really the Titans? Or something more realistic, considering how obscure the team is today, how do you know the Dallas Texans were really the Chiefs? Making the connections between teams would be up to the NFL's marketing department in the weeks before the game. flooding team stores with throwback merch might be the way to do it, maybe even official "adoption" ceremonies just to hype it up more. No, there's no real indicator of which team is which, but that's the fun of one-off's like this. Honestly, I liked some of the Triangles-Bengals connections, they're kinda kindred spirits, with the mass of sleeve striping and the odd helmets...despite the colors, I thought the two went together rather well, and the location was simply ideal.

Thanks for the C&C guys, keep it up, I'm definitely hoping to think of more matchups as this continues along, because really, that's the hardest part.

Well, after all that, the rest of what I have available right now. I'll be working on more as I get the time.

A little obscure, but some fun jerseys, the Philadelphia Eagles show up as the very nearby Frankford Yellow Jackets, and Arizona mixes eras a bit, with a Racine Cardinals-inspired jersey with elements from the Chicago Cardinals, and of course, white helmets.

philadelphia-frankfordatarizona-chicago.png

And one of my favorites, dipping into the Giants' fun uniform history, we pull out the 1936 jerseys, one of the few colorful white jerseys of the era, and paired with it the classic style 1940 helmet. Also visible are the 1950s Giant-throwing-in-stadium logo, something beautifully vintage that I just couldn't leave out, no matter how anachronistic. They play another cool name, the New York Jets show up as the Staten Island Stapletons. I debated using the New York Yanks/Yankees or the Brooklyn Dodgers, but with copyrights what they are, I figured this would be the easiest to actually see on the field. The color set is a bit New York Titans, anyways, so it worked out.

newyorkgiants-1936ishatnewyorkjets-statenisland.png

Thanks guys. C&C?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

New York Giants as Brooklyn Football Dodgers, perhaps?

The Jets maybe, but not the Giants. That'd be like the Bears wearing Chicago Cardinals throwbacks.

EDIT: Now I'm certian the Jets should be the Dodgers in this scenario.

1935_Brooklyn.png

New York Giants as Brooklyn Football Dodgers, perhaps?

Was that an actual team? I get dodging a baseball, what with line drives and brush backs, but why would you ever want or need to dodge a football?

(please don't respond to this with a trolly dodger history post...)

Yep.

Conworlds: Safir Alliance | Hoennverse

spacer.png

I'd love to see the Minnesota Vikings wearing this, the Cincinnati Bengals in this, and the San Diego Chargers dressed as this.

Also, the obvious ones such as the Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, the St. Louis Rams, and the San Francisco 49ers.

And since the Baltimore Ravens, Carolina Panthers, and Houston Texans have basically had only one uniform design in their respective team's history, I'm not sure what uniforms they'll be wearing as throwbacks... or "faux-backs".

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived