NBA Finalzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NJTank

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 Game sweep, NJTank? I have to disagree with you there. Not a chance it'll be a sweep.

As a dedicated hoops fan, of course the Lakers will win.. but calling it in 4 games is ridiculous and it's selling the Pistons short. There's no answer for Shaq, we all know that, but the Pistons have the front court players to at least contain him and force the rest of the team to step up - which, outside of Kobe Bryant is pretty decent.... if the Lakers don't come prepared then they may end up putting their championship fate in the hands of someone like Kareem Rush - and if I'm the Pistons, I like the sound of that.

Bottom line, out of any team out of the East - the Pistons give the Lakers a challenge. In each Western conference series, the Lakers went up against ineffective front court lineups. Minnesota had only KG. San Antonio had only Duncan. Houston only had Yao Ming. With Detroit you're looking at a starting front court of Ben Wallace (if anyone comes close to Shaq's strength - it's Ben Wallace. The guy curls like 200 lbs - that like curling friggin Derek Fisher) and Rasheed Wallace who is more than capable of at the very least neutralizing the impact that Karl Malone has on the game. Backing them up you have Elden Campbell and Mehmet Okur - big bodies good for fouls and who have jump shots, therefore forcing Shaq to come out which opens up the lane. You've got a guy like Rip Hamilton who excels off the pick and roll - which LA has NO answer for (as they're the worst team in the league when defending the pick and roll), a point guard like Chauncy Billups who at this stage can dominate Gary Payton, and then of course the wild card in Tayshaun Prince.

Bottom line, the Lakers are going to win the series... but I (A) Think it's a big mistake to completely overlook the talent that the Pistons bring to the table and (B.) Think it's a bit too early to call a boring NBA Finals. I don't know about anyone else here, but I thought the Eastern conference finals was quite good (minus a couple of halves here and there of sloppy ball) and the Western finals were horrible.

I gots'ta defend my sport :D

Rasheed/Ben can contain Malone/Shaq better than any combo in the league. And Kobe averaged only 17.5 per game against the Pistons.

Not to mention, Kobe will be exhausted from having to guard Rip Hamilton who is the best conditioned athlete in the NBA. On the inclined treadmill, Rip Hamilton runs a sub-5 minute mile on the "everest" setting.

100% agree with Tank. I watched game 7 of the East Finals. That was gawd awful. The Lakers have won games this season with both that score freakin COMBINED. Malone, Payton, you've sold your soul, now collect what you sold it for. Excuse me while I puke... :puke:

I disagree with saying this game was boring. It was close the whole way, and no, it wasn't constant fast break, but it wasn't boring.

The Pistons were able to minimize Shaq and Kobe's dominance, while silencing the rest of the Lakers. Meanwhile the role players played their roles well, and some disciplined basketball and timely shooting won the game for them.

Another step closer to success for the Coalition to Keep Both Reggie Miller and Karl Malone From Getting NBA Championship Rings (CKBRMKMFGNBACR, for short).

Lakers just felt charitable I guess they take the next 4.

Or maybe they got their asses handed to them by a better team. Dispite what ESPN would tell you for the week leading up to the game, that could actually happen.

I will love to see the Pistons win but that wont happen because David Stern wants the Lakers to win the Pistons will be getting evrry call against them for the rest of the series soon if they breathe on KObe they will get a foul against them there are never upsets in the borintg NBA Finals.

Why should David Stern care who wins now that we've reached the Finals? People use that argument for ratings sake, but its too late for a more marquee matchup now. If anything, he's probably rooting for Detroit, because it would give more franchises hope of beating the mighty Western Conference.

Unfortunately, the only people who talk about the NBA these days are its detractors who can't wait to bash anything and everything.

I think anyone taking the Lakers in a sweep was a bit nuts frankly! Detroit has some serious game after all, and as Ez street points out a great coach (rather than a coach of great teams!) I would still take the Lakers to win, even now, but in a tough series. Although I really hope the Pistons can shake up the NBA a bit by winning the title! (Sort of like when the Broncos shook the NFL by being the first team from the AFC for years and years to win the Superbowl!)

Archived