Soccer Logo project case study

BrandMooreArt

i started a thread in the main forum to collect soccer logos for research, and once that was done i thought as a thank you to those who posted there, i would post the whole design process in as much detail as i could go into just so everyone can see how it goes from nothing to something. its kind of died there as my edits seem to gotten lost in the shuffle so im posting this in here now. im not sure how interesting this is to any one, but if it is would you rather see the process of project (i have 2 going now)

1.) sci-fi robots vs humans hockey league, with 4 soccer/NFL inspired logos. or

2.) a logo and icon for an app of actual Euro Soccer league that tracks scores and news

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

BRIEF:

Project: Death Hockey (4 teams; Highwaymen, Stags, Hounds, Pucas)

Summary: Crests for a concept called Death Hockey played by Robots and cyborgs. The concept here would be something like in Cars the movie where transfers would be put on the Robots before battle. Teams are meant to look like NFL teams through their logos with a harsh/horror edge (the dogs would be ferocious for the Hounds, think NFL meets Motorcycle gang emblems.) as this game is set in a future controlled by Robots using Frankenstein bots, cyborgs and humans in a similar way to the Gladiators. each will have it's own lettering/wording too for the team name

Brand Archetype & Attributes – Outlaw + Creator. Imagination, creativity, outrageousness, edgy, horror and death themes, hero uprising.

Message tone & voice – NFL pride and simplicity + motorcycle gang and soccer aesthetic. Think Mortal Kombat (tone) meets comic book art (visual). Borderlands game?

Target market – kids and young men. 8 – 25, European, sports and comic fans.

Things to avoid – we don't want to see any sporting balls

Here is a rough guide in terms of the general look and feel -

Pucas (there is also an accent over the U) would be a ghostly/skeletal face as this is meant to be a ghost maybe like the angel of death. Using Sky blue and navy.

Stags – deer head. Base colour red, also blue and yellow

Highwaymen - a variation of Dick Turpin

MOOD BOARD: (the robot in the upper right is for this project)

moodboard.jpg

REFERENCE

referenceq.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

SKETCHES

these are 3 pages of sketches for the 4 teams. at this point of the process im just looking to get a rough idea down on paper; nothing too pretty. i try to come up with as many different ideas as i can then select the good ones (i circle them with a highlighter) and i may do 2 or 3 other versions of that later. so while sketching i try not to draw an animal head inside a shield then do another head inside a shield thats slightly different. thats part 2 of sketching. something more has to change, maybe the perspective. its good to have a variety of ideas rather than a variety of executions of the same idea

sketchesz.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

at this stage ive gathered my best ideas and tightened the sketch up a little to show the client. its still rough, im going for idea, not execution here. you'll also see 2 logos in here that were from unused projects and would be a good option for these teams as well. its good to save your work from the cutting room floor, you will probably find a project later to use some of it. some designers will offer an old solution for a cheaper price, which i like too.

after showing the client and getting some feedback, it was on to the tight sketch phase, this is how i build my foundation for the design. ill scan in the sketch and use that to trace my vector paths. it also allows any minor tweaks or changes to be done on paper rather than in digital form. its always easier to correct mistakes with pencil. the Hounds came out looking like a cat more than a dog, but that will be an easy fix. i still have the Highwaymen tight sketch to do, as that one is undergoing some larger changes

Pucas

pucas.jpg

pucas2.jpg

Highwaymen

highwaymen.jpg

Hounds

houndso.jpg

hounds2.jpg

Stags

stagsl.jpg

stags2.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Brandon what are the tools in red on your panel. Is it the Livescribe ones?

ancient Chinese secret :D

its Vectorscribe http://www.astutegraphics.com/products/vectorscribe/

they're all useful and make life easier, but im still getting used to having them there. just remembering to use them takes some getting used to after doing without them for so long. but it all works great and i'd recommend installing

GRAPHIC ARTIST

If you are taking critiques right now, I don't like how the A is cut off. Even knowing that it is supposed to read as Stags, it is very hard to read it that way at the moment.

Also, I totally want to see that robot in full hockey gear.

this is where i'm at now. i will get feedback from the client and make changes this week. the Hounds is one im really not happy with, so that might go through a major change before its over with. if anyone has other critiques ill listen, the feedback has been great so far

dhlogos.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Really nice work Brandon. 2 points I'd make though is the nose of the stag looks a bit strange, and the ears on the hound are a bit low and a bit to harsh and pointy. (couldn't think of another way to word that last bit)

logo.png

I like the process Brandon, Keep it up man!

a few things:

H men: I like this the most, though Its very hard to recognize the pistols in the background and also have too much detail in the handles/hammer.

Stags: There is too much contrast between the weight of the outline stroke of the antlers and that little line in the middle. Also I think its not good that the antlers touch each other in the middle. the overall look is very similar to the Milwaukee Bucks. I dont really like the colors either, but thats a taste thing.

Pucas: the type is very small here, would be almost invisible in small scale. Teeth need much more weight and I am not sure about the flame shapes outside the crest. They seem too small, dont really look like flames, maybe I would lose those.

Hounds: I like the overall concept, but the dog looks more like some kind of crazy ass rodent. crazy ass is GOOD! but a Crazy ASS dog would be better. I like the varsity feel here.

I like the process Brandon, Keep it up man!

a few things:

H men: I like this the most, though Its very hard to recognize the pistols in the background and also have too much detail in the handles/hammer.

Stags: There is too much contrast between the weight of the outline stroke of the antlers and that little line in the middle. Also I think its not good that the antlers touch each other in the middle. the overall look is very similar to the Milwaukee Bucks. I dont really like the colors either, but thats a taste thing.

Pucas: the type is very small here, would be almost invisible in small scale. Teeth need much more weight and I am not sure about the flame shapes outside the crest. They seem too small, dont really look like flames, maybe I would lose those.

Hounds: I like the overall concept, but the dog looks more like some kind of crazy ass rodent. crazy ass is GOOD! but a Crazy ASS dog would be better. I like the varsity feel here.

i pretty much agree with all of that. im working on those details as well as changing the face of the Highwaymen a bit. we're going to go with an open mouth, like he is shouting something.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived