Atlanta Silverbacks Retain Name; Launch Logo Design Contest

Louis

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The fans voted to keep the name as Silverbacks, however the club have asked fans to design a new logo for the team..

This was posted on Facebook a few hours ago:

486297_458608934190339_1737373784_n.jpg

The winner of "Decision 2012" is SILVERBACKS! You'll notice the lack of a logo and that's because we'll be launching a logo design contest tomorrow! Stay tuned for details and thanks to all who voted!

Ugh. These spec work design contests are just utter flaming garbage. Absolute garbage. Pay a freakin' professional to be successful. :angered:

It won't be just a spec work/fan logo contest. First they'll have the fan logo contest on facebook, where the fan logo is selected. Then they will have a vote between the fan logo, the current logo, and a new logo that the team will design/commission. I'm assuming that they will hire someone to do their version of the logo for the competition, but maybe they'll have an enterprising intern or something.

Ugh. These spec work design contests are just utter flaming garbage. Absolute garbage. Pay a freakin' professional to be successful. :angered:

It won't be just a spec work/fan logo contest. First they'll have the fan logo contest on facebook, where the fan logo is selected. Then they will have a vote between the fan logo, the current logo, and a new logo that the team will design/commission. I'm assuming that they will hire someone to do their version of the logo for the competition, but maybe they'll have an enterprising intern or something.

It's still spec work though. And spec work is bad for everyone. It devalues the design industry, the people that send in a logo don't get paid for their time/work, and the team gets a crappy logo.

jNTsTyQ.png

Glad the vote was to retain Silverbacks. The Silverbacks name has been used for more seasons than both Chiefs clubs combined. Besides, not all old NASL names carry the same weight. The Chiefs legacy does not equal those of the Cosmos, Sounders, Timbers, Rowdies, Strikers or Earthquakes.

God only knows what kind of new logo will come out of this. The old one wasn't great but I have a bad feeling the new one will be worse.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

It's still spec work though. And spec work is bad for everyone. It devalues the design industry, the people that send in a logo don't get paid for their time/work, and the team gets a crappy logo.

And the prize (season tickets and dinner with the team president) is a joke too.

i don't get the hate for spec work, unless it's just the "i want more work and more money!" jealousy (for lack of a better word)

to those saying it devalues the design industry... it doesn't, in my opinion. value comes from supply and demand. if a team can give out free tickets to a fan to design a new logo, the fans like it, the team likes it, and the "design industry" is left out in the cold, then so-be-it. sounds like the only loser there is the "design industry."

fans have come up with good designs before, and professionals have come up with AWFUL designs quite regularly.

judge a logo by it's own merits. not by who designed it or what they were compensated for it.

Archived