Atlanta Silverbacks Retain Name; Launch Logo Design Contest

Louis

Well, just saw the winner, and quite frankly, Raysox got shafted.

189863_466182466766319_2005420094_n.jpg

I mean, it's definitely not the worst logo presented, but it is so freaking generic. I feel like anybody could come up with this design in about three minutes. No creativity shown whatsoever.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally stupid idea. Why extend a competition that relies on getting your entry in early in order to get 'likes'. This doesnt get the you the best logo. It simply gets you the earlier logo of the person with the most easily cajoled friends. A waste of time.

Totally stupid idea. Why extend a competition that relies on getting your entry in early in order to get 'likes'. This doesnt get the you the best logo. It simply gets you the earlier logo of the person with the most easily cajoled friends. A waste of time.

I think dmont hit it right on the head with his analysis. I don't think the team ever really planned on using one of these fan logos. The contest was probably just a way to garner attention. The best part of this for the team was that the contestants were cajoling their friends for votes, and that made the friends more aware of the team. Now, most likely, the team will design its own logo, which will win no matter how the voting shakes out, and plenty of people will be paying attention to the team. It all seems like a publicity stunt.

Either that, or the people running the contest were just completely incompetent.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

First one, far and away the best one of the 4.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Those 4 are neither of mine! I ended up with 109, and thanks to everyone who voted for me! The winner wasn't bad I thought. But also the fact ONE OF THEM IS A :censored:ING RIP OFF. A simple google of "silverback logo" will bring this up.

silverback2.png

Which one was yours? I know a bunch of them have copies

The first one's mine, then I did an update and it's posted as number 7. The contestant Nicole Stone did four copies using the shape of the shield and the ribbon, also adding a cheap clipart gorilla. I complained to the team, but never heard anything back.

Ah, I remember when you posted this one on here, and I liked it.

Those 4 are neither of mine! I ended up with 109, and thanks to everyone who voted for me! The winner wasn't bad I thought. But also the fact ONE OF THEM IS A :censored:ING RIP OFF. A simple google of "silverback logo" will bring this up.

silverback2.png

Oh man, that is absolutely brutal! Who the heck was this "professional design company"? No professional design company would have ripped off that Silverback logo. Was there a design company?? This organization is starting to look terrible!

The team is doing a really bad job managing the contest. Many of the posted logos violate the rules of the contest, ie plagarizing, using stock clipart gorillas, or not submitting in vector format. The one I entered was taken, copied, slightly altered, and resubmitted FOUR TIMES by a different contestant, and the team posted them anway. That's one way to split the vote.

The ones that are winning are sharing their images with a bunch of friends and begging for "likes". Good way to win a contest, horrible way to choose a crest.

My suspicion is that they're being so lax on the rules and running the contest because none of the fan submissions has a shot. It's all about generating traffic on their facebook page. The club-commissioned crest is going to win. As long as contestants keep sharing and liking, they're getting what they want.

Makes sense, considering how half-added the "contest" is.

This reminds me of a university that really blundered every step of the way. First they had a naming contest for their new nickname which didn't go over too well. The next year they had a "mascot contest" -- except they didn't even know what that meant. They didn't understand there were differences between "mascot", "logo", and "nickname," yet they used all three interchangeably.

They ended up having a fan vote -- where naming was opened again apparently -- and I :censored: you not, this was what they reluctantly went with:

The Gorillas

I can't be the only one who thinks that all four final logos are terrible, right?

This all but assures that whatever professional designer that the Silverbacks found/paid to develop a new brand for this “logo competition” will "win" easily.

Edit: I just saw dmont's post below clarifying that these logos are it.

silverback2.png

Oh man, that is absolutely brutal! Who the heck was this "professional design company"? No professional design company would have ripped off that Silverback logo. Was there a design company?? This organization is starting to look terrible!

These were all the fan logos. The professional logo, which will win by defat (and design) hasn't been seen yet.

Shame, that was the fan logo I liked best.

Even more a shame that the Silverbacks were never serious about this contest. Was a good idea.

silverback2.png

this PAINS me brutally since neither of mine also didn't make the cut...for shame!

silverback2.png

These were all the fan logos. The professional logo, which will win by defat (and design) hasn't been seen yet.

Shame, that was the fan logo I liked best.

Even more a shame that the Silverbacks were never serious about this contest. Was a good idea.

Where did you get that idea? Based on all of the wording I'm seeing, these are the four "finalists". This is the whole shebang. The three circular logos were not part of the fan contest, they are the "carefully analyzed and developed" products of collaborations between a designer and the front office.

Wow. I stand corrected.

I guess I was confused since one of the other "finalists" was a re-working of a fan design.

What a :censored: ing disaster. Somebody tell them one of their designs is stolen before they pick it.

On second thought, maybe we should wait until they do, and they'll have to clean up a real mess.

Would this league be comparable to AAA minor league baseball? I've never heard of this league or the team

It's a shame that second one is a ripoff, it was my favorite of the group. Is it me or does that first one look like it was made by the homie from here that made all the new sbnation logos? I can't recall his name right now

90758391980.gif

Yeah, this is the second level of pro soccer in the country. Top minor league, and really should be above this.

Many of the organizations and cities in the NASL seem to have designs on moving up to MLS at some point, but these guys clearly aren't anywhere near that class.

Archived