Of Minor Division I Leagues, Hyphens, and Acronyms

rams80

In Texas, the attitude seems to be that it's actually a positive to be a part of the UT System even though there's so many of them (EIGHT in total, including two Division-I football programs).

I know a UT-San Antonio grad who told me back before the football team was created, there was a slight push to rebrand the school as the University of San Antonio. UTSA has over 30,000 students so I can see the reasoning for wanting their own brand and not having a hyphenated brand name that is typically associated with feeder schools.

When it comes to academics, the main UT campus in Austin actually stresses to hyphenate its name when ever possible. In all print media, you will see the school referred to as UT-Austin. It hasn't happened often, but there has been a few times where I've run across a grad of a UT branch school and if we are discussing sports they will say they are a longhorn and try to take some jab at me for being an Ag. Then after the rivalry joking subsides, I'll ask how their time in Austin was, and it'll be followed by an "oh, i didnt go to THE UT, i went to UT-(insert city name here.)" So i'm under the impression that the main branch stresses that it is UT-Austin to help alleviate any confusion between the other branches.

My fiance graduated from a school that has what seems to be a rare instance in hyphenated naming. The University of Houston has 4 universities part of its system. 3 of them are in the Houston area so the hyphenated name still works because the schools are actually in the Houston area, but there is a system school in Victoria, TX so the University of Houston-Victoria has the distinction of being a hyphenated university with 2 cities in its name. I saw an article 2 years ago where UHV had contacted Texas A&M about the possibility of joining their system, but I do not know what became of it.

Texas A&M soaked up a number of state schools in Texas and branded them Texas A&M __. I can't begin to say how much alumni of East Texas State, West Texas State, Texas A&I etc. HATE that Texas A&M prefix and want it erased. There's a whole movement at Texas A&M-Kingsville to return to Texas Arts and Industries.

FsQiF2W.png

I've actually resorted to putting "University of Milwaukee" on my resume when applying for jobs out-of-state just to have to avoid the awkward conversation where I say things like "No, I'm not a Badger, that's Madison" or having to explain why 20+ schools in Wisconsin share a misleading name. Googling "University of Milwaukee" takes you straight to UWM's wesbite, so it works well enough.

I guess why it would be odd for UTSA to just go by San Antonio is because we're not the only distinctive San Antonian college; there's Incarnate Word, Trinity University, even Texas A&M-San Antonio now. There's also San Antonio College, a community college that's one of the largest in the country (nearly 30,000 enrolled!). I can imagine TAMSA is going to be confusing; saying "A&M San Antonio" is trickier than "UTSA".

GR30a5H.png

Speaking of odd Texas A&M-related acronyms, Texas A&M Corpus Christi is in a weird situation. TAMU-CC is entirely too cumbersome, and just going by "Corpus Christi" you'd think it was a private Catholic university or something.

I suppose the Texas A&M related schools could do something similar to what the schools in the California State University system do. Cal State-Fresno is better known as Fresno State. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi could go by Corpus Christi A&M. It's not a huge improvement, but it could free up some uniform space.

My fiance graduated from a school that has what seems to be a rare instance in hyphenated naming. The University of Houston has 4 universities part of its system. 3 of them are in the Houston area so the hyphenated name still works because the schools are actually in the Houston area, but there is a system school in Victoria, TX so the University of Houston-Victoria has the distinction of being a hyphenated university with 2 cities in its name.

WHAT?

And their teams are known as the Jaguars? Seems like they should be the Rattlesnakes. :D

My fiance graduated from a school that has what seems to be a rare instance in hyphenated naming. The University of Houston has 4 universities part of its system. 3 of them are in the Houston area so the hyphenated name still works because the schools are actually in the Houston area, but there is a system school in Victoria, TX so the University of Houston-Victoria has the distinction of being a hyphenated university with 2 cities in its name.

WHAT?

And their teams are known as the Jaguars? Seems like they should be the Rattlesnakes.

Yup, and to make matters worse, University of North Texas at Dallas and Texas A&M-San Antonio both are the Jaguars, neither of which have NCAA sponsored athletics...yet. Last I checked, there is nothing Jaguar related in Texas. Such opportunity wasted.

I don't like my school's nickname for the same reason... Panthers are about as generic a mascot as they come. I actually prefer Gulls, the mascot from when it was still known as Milwaukee State. Our campus is a quarter-mile from Lake Michigan and gets visited by hundreds of actual gulls in the fall.

Archived