officeglenn

Ottawa RedBlacks to Return CFL to Canadian Capital City

I'm not that sold on any of them.

Although three of them would be okay, and also tie into the history of football in Ottawa...

1297408937145_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

I like the first one and the fourth one on the top row.

I like the 3rd one (top row, center).

I like the 3rd one (top row, center).

I think you'd have to go with the first one as it retains the original R shape.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but a couple of these proposed logos utilize a shield that's similar to one of the three proposed Fury FC crests. I'm guessing they were designed by the same Portland-based company:

45652_10151534287624371_36278362_n.jpg

I really like the 5th one in the first row. Nice classic look for a classic name.

I like it as well. I was worried at first it was too close to Nike's "Black History Month" logo (used for special edition shoes and related apparel released every February), but upon Googling the BHM logo, they're not that close:

Nike-BHM-2013-Hat-2.jpg

kevin-durant-nike-bhm-event-6-640x424.jpeg

Ottawa's new CFL franchise - expected to be dubbed the RedBlacks - will be officially introduced to the public on June 8, 2013. The event will take place at the Ernst & Young Centre beginning at 2:00 PM.

"It's a chance for everybody to see our brand of football," said Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group president Jeff Hunt. "It'll be the true launch for our name and logo. We're going to try and make it an event where people come out on a very historic day for us. It'll be an exciting time for our fans.

I had thought about the Rideaus (which means Curtain) for the rideaus on the Ottawa River and how the name could bring reminders of the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers teams of the 1970's whose defense was called the Steel Curtain. I thought that the team logo could be the woodchuck (the symbol for the Ottawa River festival) but then I remembered the lumberjacks sending the logs on the Ottawa River and figured a lumberjack would be better than a woodchuck.

I also like the name Red Blacks, and I have a feeling that it will be the team name.

Another idea that I saw was a post on this board for the Ottawa Chaperons, where a wolf or a lumberjack could be the logo.

However, I thought about another name:

THE OTTAWA RENARDS

The reason is that the word "Renard" is French for "Fox". I got the inspiration when I saw the ESPN 30 for 30 story about Terry Fox, a courageous Canadian hero to many. Terry lost part of his right leg to cancer, and, running with an artificial leg, in 1980 planned to run across Canada from Newfoundland to his home province of British Columbia. He had to stop in Thunder Bay, Ontario when the cancer spread to his lungs and died in 1981.

To me, the Renard/Fox name would represent the Canadian spirit of Terry Fox that still lives on to this day and will forever.

I guess this might be an unpopular opinion, but I still think RedBlacks is a stupid name.

It really is. And using just an R to represent that name is equally stupid.

I like it. Nice combo of new and old. What is so bad about the RedBlacks name?

Since Ottawa is the capital, it makes perfect sense that the team would celebrate the accomplishments and contributions of Afro-Canadian Communists. RedBlacks is a perfect name to celebrate their part in Canadian history. :P

I like the logo but I wish they had chosen a name that ties to the logging industry (Rivermen, Riverjacks, Raftsmen, etc.). It's strange that in French the name is Rouge et Noir instead of RougeNoirs.

I like the logo but I wish they had chosen a name that ties to the logging industry (Rivermen, Riverjacks, Raftsmen, etc.). It's strange that in French the name is Rouge et Noir instead of RougeNoirs.

You can bastardize english all you want but there will be hell to pay if you bastardize french lol

I like it. Nice combo of new and old. What is so bad about the RedBlacks name?

It just seems overly forced and faux-retro.

I guess this might be an unpopular opinion, but I still think RedBlacks is a stupid name.

Nope. Not unpopular - at least with me. Only question I've got -- did they even TRY to come up with something original!? [smh]

Since Ottawa is the capital, it makes perfect sense that the team would celebrate the accomplishments and contributions of Afro-Canadian Communists. RedBlacks is a perfect name to celebrate their part in Canadian history. :P

LOL! Now THAT's funny!

Nope. Not unpopular - at least with me. Only question I've got -- did they even TRY to come up with something original!? [smh]

"RedBlacks" isn't original? Where does it come from?

"RedBlacks" isn't original? Where does it come from?

A Crayola Box.