Ottawa RedBlacks to Return CFL to Canadian Capital City

officeglenn

I would love to see the "Red Coats", with red, white, black, blue, and gold as the team's colours. Like the New England Patriots of the CFL.

v2_c4_s20_ss02_01.jpg

Redcoats would be my choice... with either red, white and black or red, blue and gold as team colors Why Redcoats? Well the Guards at the Parliament building where red coats, not to mention Redcoats is a term used for a member of British military unit.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ottawa Rafters

Ottawa Riverjacks

Ottawa River Kings

Ottawa Rivermen

Without the "R"? How about...

Ottawa Advance

Ottawa Beavers

Ottawa Boomers

Ottawa Colonels

Ottawa Loggers

Ottawa Lumber Barons

Ottawa Lumberjacks

Ottawa Nats

Ottawa Nationals

Ottawa Onslaught

Ottawa Solons

Ottawa Timber Barons

Ottawa Timberjacks

Ottawa Timber Kings

Ottawa Trappers

Ottawa Voyageurs

Without "R" my suggestions are:

Ottawa Bearskins - for the Black fur hats the Parliament guards wear

Ottawa Beef Eaters

Ottawa Firebirds

Ottawa Capitals

Brian, what is a Solon? I can see Beavers,Loggers, Lumberjacks,Trappers,Voyageurs (or Voyagers),from your list

Ok So Ottawa is returning to the CFL. Jeff Hunt, one of the owners of the franchise has said that the team will not be called the Rough Riders eventhough it is the fan favorite.

So they can't use Rough(space?)riders?

It's too bad that Rough Riders can't be used. I presume that this is because Hunt & Co. don't own the rights and aren't willing to shell out for them, as well as the fact that Saskatchewan would probably object.

The Rough Riders name has a lot of tradition behind it, but unfortunately people have lost sight of the proud history and tend to associate the name with the trainwreck of a team that Ottawa became in the late 80s and 90s. Also, people (especially in Ontario) are woefully ignorant of CFL history and tend to default to the stock punchline response of "WTF TWO OUT OF NINE TEAMS WITH THE SAME NAME LOL" without realizing that the names are, in fact, different, with different meanings and the two teams were originally in different leagues before the modern CFL was established in the 1950s. (Similar to the Norfolk Admirals/Milwaukee Admirals dynamic in the AHL.)

Actually Hunt and Co. did buy the "Rough Riders" name from Horn Chen. However when the Renegades folded and there was rumbling of the return to the capital the green Riders had a clause put in they had final say if the new Ottawa franchise could use the "Rough Riders" name, to limit confusion in the market (or something like that). Long story short, the Roughriders have enjoyed being the only Riders for nearly 20 years and they dont want to give that up.

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

One question though: would Ottawa go with their traditional black, white and red colours now that Calgary has more or less co-opted them? I guess they could go WAY back and do the red, gold and blue combo (which they rehashed in 1994 and 1995), or pick another set of colours that isn't currently used in the CFL.

Actually the Stampeders added the black whent he Renegades still existed,a nd regretable went to balck numbers, instead of keeping red.

Maybe they'll tone down the black and let Ottawa have it...

I can hope for that any way.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Ottawa is in a valley. Residents are the geographic opposites of highlanders. Also, the folks across the river would be like "Ottawa isn't on a highland! Dey're not even near da hocean!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 months later...

Ok so on Yahoos' Bleacher Report webpage... Jeff Hunt has narrowed it down to 5 possible names [in which he didn't say what they were], with the name Rush being the front runner. I can't see Rush as a good nickname. Here are some more suggestions I thought of....

Rovers (like a wanderer, not as in a dog or pirate)

Remparts

Retailiators

Regulators and River Jacks in can see, which if someone could explain what it is, I looked it up and it mentioned that of a snake (eww!!!).

So, Roughies is completely off the table?

The Roughriders locked down all variations of the name when the Rough Riders folded. A new Ottawa team can't use Riders, Roughies, or anything else that alludes to the name Rough Riders if I remember things correctly.

Archived