officeglenn

Ottawa RedBlacks to Return CFL to Canadian Capital City

I always liked the fact that the Cleveland Browns were named after a person (Paul Brown). It might be an opportunity to try something like that with the new Ottawa CFL franchise. The Ottawa RJ’s (Russ Jackson), or The Ottawa Gabriels (Tony Gabriel) come to mind.

I like this idea, but perhaps not for a living person, but rather a historic one. What about calling the team the Ottawa Macs, after first Canadian Prime Minister Stephen MacDonald?

John A. MacDonald, not Stephen

Was going to say I never knew the A stood for Stephen.

I suppose this is what I get for leaving the post halfway written, then going back rushedly this morning and finishing it. Little brain fart. It looks like the idea was moot anyway, although I still like it.

Now I'm imagining the lovechild of Stephen Harper and John A. MacDonald :wacko:

I really like the Redblacks name, or possibly Red Blacks, either way.

It has a very 'early football' feel to it and will help prevent the new Ottawa team from becoming the new kid in Ottawa.

...though another way to avoid this would be to use the Rough Riders name, but I don't think that's going to happen. I vote Redblacks.

Red Blacks all the way. Great name. Too good to actually be true.

Ottawa Blackened Redfish!!!

Wouldn't the Ottawa Rapids work at all?

No it would not, it's a government town, the Ottawa Slows would be more appropriate...

The Orville RedenBlackers, the mascot could be a snarling (with teeth) piece of popped corn.

Ottawa Regals or Ottawa Regents

Wouldn't the Ottawa Rapids work at all?

The Ottawa Rapids/Rapidz were a baseball team in the Can-Am League that flopped pretty badly. Not sure if ownership wants to be aligned with something like that. Same goes for "Renegades", while not an entirely terrible name, I don't think ownership wants to be associated with something that failed so miserably in its last year or so of existence.

The mandatory "R" name seems arbitrary and dumb, and I'm starting to get tired of endless variations on the "Raftsmen", "Rivermen" and "Rideaus" type names.

If Ottawa can't have Rough Riders back, then why not just make a complete break with the past and open up the other 25 letters of the alphabet for contention?

Ottawa should keep up the tradition of confusing people with one of these:

Ottawa Stam Peders

Ottawa Tigerkats

Ottawa Hargonauts

Ottawa Eskimaux

Ottawa Lyons

Ottawa Bluebommers

Ottawa Hargonauts

No, the Hargonauts would have to play in Quebec.

It has a very 'early football' feel to it and will help prevent the new Ottawa team from becoming the new kid in Ottawa.

...though another way to avoid this would be to use the Rough Riders name, but I don't think that's going to happen. I vote Redblacks.

Exactly why I like it. I prefer Redblacks to Red Blacks though.

Exactly why I like it. I prefer Redblacks to Red Blacks though.

Why no the Red Necks?

Ottawa Rossoneri if they're married to the R name thing. Ottawa Beavers if they're open to other letters. Something of the sort. That, or RC's old standby...OTTAWA!