Ottawa RedBlacks to Return CFL to Canadian Capital City

officeglenn

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the Redblacks name, or possibly Red Blacks, either way.

It has a very 'early football' feel to it and will help prevent the new Ottawa team from becoming the new kid in Ottawa.

...though another way to avoid this would be to use the Rough Riders name, but I don't think that's going to happen. I vote Redblacks.

Exactly why I like it. I prefer Redblacks to Red Blacks though.

Why no the Red Necks?

Because they don't play in Alberta?

(Never been there, but I've heard it described as Canada's Texas.)

I can't see them using Red Blacks, maybe as an unoffical team nickname, like they call the Canadiens (Habs), MLB Yankees (Bronx Bombers), the Argos (Boatmen), NHL Tampa Bay Lightning (Bolts). But not as an offical nickname for the team.

I know this is splitting hairs a bit here, but the nickname "Red & Black" has already been in use for a football team nickname for quite some time. Watertown, New York is home to the Watertown Red & Black football team. It currently hold the distinction of being the oldest semi-pro football team in the United States (founded in 1896). Now yes, it's in the country next door, it's a different version of gridiron football, and most of you have probably never heard of this team, however this is still a name that while not lawfuly exclusive it certainly could be argued that they have earned the name to be their own on principle. By that I mean at this point while it would not be illegal by any means for a new team to adaopt a name already taken by another long established one, there is kind of an unwritten rule that most teams like nicknames (and by extention brands) that are all their own. If they've been established for more than a century, surely thier claim to the name has a little more weight than say a team who's only been around for a few years. That they are a small time team is arguably irrelevent. There are obviously exceptions. But if done right, most teams want a name so recognizable that when fans (paying customers) hear it, they automatically picture their team's logo color, location and sport. Would it be worng for Ottawa to adopt such a moniker? Of course not. But if I were the owner of a brand new professional sports team would I want to take the name from any team that's been around for more than a century and was based only 120 miles away? No, not really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watertown_Red_%26_Black

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Why is so many people dislike the name Renegades? Just because the last franchise failed? Montreal has had what 2 franchises of Alouettes that went belly up, yet they keep coming back with that nickname for a team? A nickname shouldn't be based on how successful a franchise is or was, but the decision upon the owner of the team.

Well, IMHO Redblacks sounds like a soccer or rugby team....

Which makes it appropriate for a pro football team, if you think about it.

I didn't like "Red Blacks/Redblacks" at first, but it's growing on me.

Especially for the gridiron code that stayed closest to its rugby roots.

I'm the same way. Hated it at first, but now I kind of like it. Red Blacks though, not Redblacks.

Would be cool if they went with a capital theme where they are the nation's capital city. Just make the helmets black with a red leaf on them?

I'd much prefer no maple leaf whatsoever. It's very overdone in Canadian design, and really not necessary for an all-Canadian league. As has been mentioned in this thread, other Canadian symbols such as the beaver would be better, IMO.

Can somebody explain why a space would make one version of Red Blacks/Redblacks better than the other? I'm just curious due to the number of posts i've seen lately. Its actually a cool name. Sounds like it was from 100 years ago which is perfect for a league with that much history. That last sentence was in no way sarcastic either. Either way, space or not, I hope it gets used.

Would be cool if they went with a capital theme where they are the nation's capital city. Just make the helmets black with a red leaf on them?

I'd much prefer no maple leaf whatsoever. It's very overdone in Canadian design, and really not necessary for an all-Canadian league. As has been mentioned in this thread, other Canadian symbols such as the beaver would be better, IMO.

Are we back to this dumb crap again? Name me one other CFL team that uses a maple leaf as part of it's logo...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Are we back to this dumb crap again? Name me one other CFL team that uses a maple leaf as part of it's logo...

In the history of the league only 1 has done it.

It was the Renegades. I don't think it would be overkill for 1 team to do it.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived