Ottawa RedBlacks to Return CFL to Canadian Capital City

officeglenn

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the Redblacks name, or possibly Red Blacks, either way.

It has a very 'early football' feel to it and will help prevent the new Ottawa team from becoming the new kid in Ottawa.

...though another way to avoid this would be to use the Rough Riders name, but I don't think that's going to happen. I vote Redblacks.

Exactly why I like it. I prefer Redblacks to Red Blacks though.

Why no the Red Necks?

Because they don't play in Alberta?

(Never been there, but I've heard it described as Canada's Texas.)

That's a very wrong stereotype. I live in northern Alberta, and the farmers outweigh the rednecks. Rich farmers, I might add.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

You make a lot of good points in favour of Chaperons. Still, I just can't get on board with a pro team named the "Chaperons."

How do you feel about calling them by the short name of Chaps; The Ottawa Chaps?

I felt the same way at first, but the more I say it the better is sounds.

As for a logo, I'm not creative or skilled enough to make one, but I imagine something along the lines of a two double-bladed axes crossed and strewn with blood red fabric straps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Drew Edwards (Ti-Cats beat reporter with the Hamilton Spectator) has posted the following image on his blog:

2vkjHgL.jpg

So I guess that settles the question of what Ottawa's team name will be.

Personally, I think it's a fine name but man oh man that logo... I can just imagine the design meeting.

"It's a football team! In Ottawa! What should we do?"

"Uhhhh... how about a football? And a maple leaf?"

"Football and maple leaf! Done!"

Even if it's not the primary (heaven help us), it's still pretty weak and cliched. Very "I am Canadian" circa 1999.

The worst part is, after looking at all of the potential logos on the Ottawa Sun website, it looks like they spent more time making sure that the soccer team looked good, and then went out and half-assed the football side.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The worst part is, after looking at all of the potential logos on the Ottawa Sun website, it looks like they spent more time making sure that the soccer team looked good, and then went out and half-assed the football side.

Good tip... I didn't realize that there were other design concepts floating around out there.

http://www.ottawasun...find-way-online

Some of them aren't that bad IMO.

This one seems pretty menacing... don't know how well it would fly with the kids:

1297408936931_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

The others:

1297408936903_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

1297408937145_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

1297408937098_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

1297408936966_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

The last one looks like the identity of a hipster restaurant in Williamsburg. I like it, though...it works for me although I'm not sure that it has a large amount of mass appeal.

At the very least I think it's safe to say that Redblacks is going to be the team name.

I like the first one and the fourth one on the top row.

I really like the 5th one in the first row. Nice classic look for a classic name.

Is there any real significance to the sawblade or pinecone imagery used in some of the concepts?

I really like the 5th one in the first row. Nice classic look for a classic name.

Is there any real significance to the sawblade or pinecone imagery used in some of the concepts?

Ottawa started as a lumber town so a lumberjack theme is entirely appropriate. You can find pictures online that show all the logs on the Ottawa River up through the 1930's or thereabouts. There were several huge sawmills on the shore near Lebreton Flats.

The theme is good. The logos and name are all absolutely horrid.

Drew Edwards (Ti-Cats beat reporter with the Hamilton Spectator) has posted the following image on his blog:

2vkjHgL.jpg

So I guess that settles the question of what Ottawa's team name will be.

Personally, I think it's a fine name but man oh man that logo... I can just imagine the design meeting.

"It's a football team! In Ottawa! What should we do?"

"Uhhhh... how about a football? And a maple leaf?"

"Football and maple leaf! Done!"

Even if it's not the primary (heaven help us), it's still pretty weak and cliched. Very "I am Canadian" circa 1999.

Looks like half a ball... and a leaf.

Off all the "potentials" which I found rather dull, this one is the best.

I think either the first or third logo on the top row would work very well. The 2nd logo on the bottom is also not too shabby.

They are fine as secondary or helmet logos. Perhaps there is a way to incorporate them into a larger motif for the primary logo.

Archived