New Portfolio Site

STL FANATIC

Every now and then you gotta show off your own work... recently re-designed my portfolio site.

New: http://jstriebel.com/

Old: http://jstriebel.com/v1

I'd had my old one for a few years. Over the past couple I've experimented with creating a new one using WordPress or Drupal but always bailed before I could finish. But last week I got some motivation and decided there was no real need to use a CMS for what I wanted, so I got after it and got it done in a few days.

I'm pretty happy with it. One thing I'll probably do is create a portfolio page that functions separately from the homepage and uses square (or rectangular) thumbnails. It's a little odd from a usability standpoint to have the portfolio link go back to the homepage. Might get to that this weekend.

Also, while I really like using Helvetica Neue (those of you who are not designers and are on PCs probably just get Arial) for the headers, I'm not entirely satisfied with the typography on the site, so I might give that some tweaking.

Oh, one thing to note: it's responsive. There's a few specific breakpoints based on your browser width. Stretch it, view it on your phone, take a look. I look at that as just a nice touch.

Anyways, just thought I'd share. Appreciate any feedback.

Only 2 things:

1) Some text/title for each project in the letters would be good, so I know what I'm clicking on.

2) I'd make your resume PDF the same as the webpage. Looks odd not following what you've done on the website in the pdf.

One thing to think about with the way your landing page is set up, is for mobile devices. I first viewed it on my iPad, and because rollovers are irrelevant on touch devices, I didn't realize those were links. It took me a while to figure out how to find your work.

It wasn't until I looked again, on my computer that I figured it out.

Archived