Vikings - High School Logo

Frenchie

My daughter just started high school at a newly open school that chose the moniker "Vikings".

Is the attached logo 100% Original, Inspired, Stock or Lifted?

And IF Original (or adapted) what do you think of them?

img9754.jpg

img2012100302294.jpg

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

It's a pretty decent logo, but it is odd to have Vikings for a Catholic School, since they came really late to Christianity (being pagans far longer than their southern neighbors) and Scandinavia abandoned Catholicism about as fast as they could for Protestantism.

Odd choice. If the school were Lutheran, maybe I could see it, but a very odd choice for a Catholic school.

The logo, especially the pattern on the helmet, is very cool, despite that.

Good assumptions guys... It is a Catholic School, and I too was a little surprised by the choice of Vikings. I was hoping for the "Angels" or "Saints" given the school is named "Saint Frère André (SFA)" (Did I mention it's French?- I suspect they were looking for a name that is the same in both French and English, given we live in an English city...

@Frenchie_TO

There were missionaries who converted the Vikings around 1000 CE, so it's not completely incompatible.

Oh, and the logos... they're pretty good, as long as they're original.

Edit: This is what Google image search came up with. Could be "inspired by", could be just two logos that look similar because they're both viking helmets.

00005263-image.gif

Not a bad logo. And there was a school in my grade school conference with the nickname Vikings. Probably just for the alliteration (school name was Visitation), but it's not unheard of for a Catholic school to be named the Vikings.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

If St. Francis was a viking, he definitely wouldn't be A Sissy.

Waka waka waka...

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

I went to a Christian (Protestant) school growing up and our mascot was the Conquerors, based on Romans 8:37

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us."

I always felt that it was a unique (or at least somewhat uncommon) mascot. Seems like about 75% of Christian schools go with Saints, Angels, or Warriors.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Thanks folks. So there seems to be a consensus on the fact that the logo wasn't "borrowed".

As I said it is a new French Catholic High School, and I haven't had the chance to interact with any staff there. I plan to ask the principal about the school's sport identity.

For those curious, here is their saint patron:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Bessette

@Frenchie_TO

Archived