New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"fine, non-offensive uniforms" will be a huge upgrade from their current mess.

It's better to take steps forward than to take steps back.

Not always.

When your best look is in the past, then you should look to the past. The Orioles and Blue Jays provide ample evidence of that.

"fine, non-offensive uniforms" will be a huge upgrade from their current mess.

It's better to take steps forward than to take steps back.

Not always.

When your best look is in the past, then you should look to the past. The Orioles and Blue Jays provide ample evidence of that.

At least the Blue Jays made some major tweaks to their revived logo. The Orioles made some changes too.

Houston didn't update their ultra bland logo at all. If they did, less people would be complaining.

We don't know that they didn't make changes. We've only seen a rough pic of the new logo.

You don't recall all the criticism of those Blue Jay changes?

Let's wait and see how the uniforms actually look. But the Astros' logo doesn't need the tweaking that the Orioles did, to name an example.

Tampa Bay, San Diego, Cleveland Roads... teams who switched to looks stripped of character.

Toronto, Baltimore, Washington... teams who switched to looks that are modern takes of their old-school looks.

This is somewhere in between the two.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Astros will quickly fall into the category of fine, non-offensive uniforms, but they will be incredibly far away from the top tier.

That's kind of the feeling I got, as well. And that's okay, because what they wore previously was crap. Also, the biggest parts of a teams identity are fine - the hat logo will be good and, most importantly, they will be wearing the colors they should always have worn. Those are far and away the biggest things (and the hardest to overcome). In a couple of years they might tweak the wordmarks, roll out new home or road jerseys, add the shooting star or anything else, but it wouldn't be a "rebrand" like this. The biggest hurdle has been passed.

I recall griping about the shape of the eye and the general hand.

I personally had a number of issues. I wasn't happy about the navy outline on the road set. I didn't like the shape of the bird head at first, I thought the bottom looked awkward and the top above the eye was too thin. I thought the leaf was too big and the ball should be slightly different on the primary logo. I wasn't as in love with the new wordmarks as other, but I don't think I hated them. I can't remember what else, but they were all pretty small things in the scheme of things. The Blue Jays got it right, and I think most people (other than outliers or those who liked the previous crap) admitted that it was a successful rebrand, even despite whatever small blunders they thought were made.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

From the mothership blog.

590x708xastros-leak-2-tshirt-590x708.jpg.pagespeed.ic.VFySg0wc97.jpg

Beautiful. In print, I feel like this new H resembles the History Channel logo in a strange way. But the added beveling on the star balances it out I think, and I think this will make for a great revised cap logo. I can't wait to see the cap options. There were rumored to be three, correct?

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Oh man, that's terrible. The angled serifs on the H make it look increadibly awkward and that star is just.. well.. hideous. What's up with that shading? It looks like someone new to Illustrator traced the original vector. Yikes.

I don't get the bevels on the star. Is it supposed to represent a star like this:

star.jpg

Or is the front supposed to be raised, but ultimately flat, like the H? Why is the bevel so thin on the top of the top-right point and on the bottom of the top-left? And why is the bevel centered like the pic above on the top and bottom-left points? Not liking this so far.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Those gray bevels in the H are not going to look good when embroidered on a cap.

and yes, the star looks incorrectly beveled. That was my first thought when I saw it.

This isn't how I would've reworked the Hstar logo.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Those gray bevels in the H are not going to look good when embroidered on a cap.

New Era will take some liberties, I'm sure. If they make the flat center part raised with the bevels actually angled towards it, I think it can work. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them use a slightly darker white for the non-gray bevels. Regardless, they will make it work. I think case I think the cap logo will look much better than the print one.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived