New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

Dislike. I hated the Astros most recent uniforms like most, but the logo and colors were fine. They could have just upgraded their uniforms instead of doing a complete overhaul.

The throwback look is getting a little overplayed. I mean this overhaul isnt even unique or creative. And let me guess, an orange alt jersey? I bet.

I would think they'd have a navy alternate.

Making orange the dominant color would be a mistake, and that goes for a cap as well.

Disagree. There's too many navy teams in baseball right now, be unique - be orange.

They'll probably have both. And I agree, orange would look bad as the dominant color. Sure it would be "unique", but it would be that for a reason.

This may not be an ideal example, since their other color is black, but I think the Orioles do a good job of having plenty of orange in their uniforms and marketing it as their primary color without it being over the top. Maybe the Astros could do something similar.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this means 4 of the 5 AL West teams will have a roundel logo.

No, it means all of them will.

[snip]

:blink: When did the Angels get their roundel?

I thought the shape of their logo was like a baseball diamond.

They ditched that in 2005, when they changed the name. Since then, the primary logo has been the "standalone" A, with two roundel alternate logos.

It is kinda humorous to think that 4 of the 5 AL West teams are gonna have very similar primary logos, now. And yes, the Angels have had a roundel sleeve patch for a while now, but it's never been their primary. The "A on baseball diamond" was their primary up until 2005, when it became just the "A" as part of their change from Anaheim to LA.

499x500xScreen-shot-2012-10-27-at-17.06.39-.png.pagespeed.ic.Df1k4kyCCX.png

That's the new word mark in the lower right corner.

570x375xastroslogofeat.jpg.pagespeed.ic.o9YMb_Apxt.jpg

The bevelling looks so much better when you see it straight on, rather then trying to make it out on a wavy t-shirt. Fantastic upgrade.

but another way to look at it is to say that it looks really nice, clean, and classy. i approve of it WAY more than i expected i would.

Agreed. Is the roundel overused? Perhaps, but in this case, it looks fantastic. So no complaints.

499x500xScreen-shot-2012-10-27-at-17.06.39-.png.pagespeed.ic.Df1k4kyCCX.png

That's the new word mark in the lower right corner.

570x375xastroslogofeat.jpg.pagespeed.ic.o9YMb_Apxt.jpg

The bevelling looks so much better when you see it straight on, rather then trying to make it out on a wavy t-shirt. Fantastic upgrade.

but another way to look at it is to say that it looks really nice, clean, and classy. i approve of it WAY more than i expected i would.

Agreed. Is the roundel overused? Perhaps, but in this case, it looks fantastic. So no complaints.

And like the previous identity, it actually looks like a primary logo. And in baseball, primary logos aren't seen or used quite as frequently as the cap logos usually are, so it's not as bad as those against roundel logos are making it out to be.

Dislike. I hated the Astros most recent uniforms like most, but the logo and colors were fine. They could have just upgraded their uniforms instead of doing a complete overhaul.

The throwback look is getting a little overplayed. I mean this overhaul isnt even unique or creative. And let me guess, an orange alt jersey? I bet.

Making orange the dominant color would be a mistake, and that goes for a cap as well.

Disagree. There's too many navy teams in baseball right now, be unique - be orange.

Don't be navy or orange, be Sedona red (or whatever they were). Orange isn't unique anymore, maybe 3 years ago it was, but not now.

90758391980.gif

Don't be navy or orange, be Sedona red (or whatever they were). Orange isn't unique anymore, maybe 3 years ago it was, but not now.

The problem with the brick red colour they were using was that it was a very earthy colour. Not something you associate with space. We can debate how "futuristic" the Astros' identity should be (futuristic vs retro futuristic) but I think earth tones are one of the things we can all agree shouldn't be used.

I know the Diamondbacks' purple and teal set gets a lot of love (I admit, it was nice) but I think the brick red, sand, and black look works for them more so then it ever did for the Astros. Hopefully they can make it their own now that Houston's returned to their roots.

The problem with the brick red colour they were using was that it was a very earthy colour. Not something you associate with space. We can debate how "futuristic" the Astros' identity should be (futuristic vs retro futuristic) but I think earth tones are one of the things we can all agree shouldn't be used.

I know the Diamondbacks' purple and teal set gets a lot of love (I admit, it was nice) but I think the brick red, sand, and black look works for them more so then it ever did for the Astros. Hopefully they can make it their own now that Houston's returned to their roots.

Exactly my thoughts. Maybe it was the fonts and the way the colors and logos were all over the place, but I find the Diamondbacks original look far inferior to the current one, at least colorwise. I'm not completely thrilled about the fonts and numbers, but there's at least some cohesiveness and the colors just look perfect for them, which they did not for the Astros.

I disagree. I think they could make it work with a classic look and an orange hat, as long as the numbers and wordmarks were orange with navy outlines. They did it in the '60s before the rainbow sets. However, the most important thing is to either pick navy or orange to be the primary and run with it. Don't have one be the primary at home and the other on the road. Don't have a navy cap for some games and then an orange cap for others.

The cap in the leaked logo is navy with an orange bill. Someone upthread said it was one of three caps (others being all navy & all orange). Don't know the reliability of it, but it seems that no team is introducing a new look with only one cap now.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I disagree. I think they could make it work with a classic look and an orange hat, as long as the numbers and wordmarks were orange with navy outlines. They did it in the '60s before the rainbow sets. However, the most important thing is to either pick navy or orange to be the primary and run with it. Don't have one be the primary at home and the other on the road. Don't have a navy cap for some games and then an orange cap for others.

The cap in the leaked logo is navy with an orange bill. Someone upthread said it was one of three caps (others being all navy & all orange). Don't know the reliability of it, but it seems that no team is introducing a new look with only one cap now.

My guess is the navy/orange cap will be home, all navy road, and I'm guessing an orange alt cap with a possible orange alt jersey.

And actually, it seems teams are going to fewer caps on rebrands. The Blue Jays only went with one last year. The Padres did as well. The Diamondbacks, back in 2007, went with 2, but the black is only worn with the black jersey, which seems to be the less worn of the different jerseys for them. The Rays, in 2008, one cap. The Marlins went 2, but how often do they wear the orange cap? Only twice during the regular season. And though it wasn't really a rebrand, the Mets went to one, save for the all black which is only worn with the black jersey, which seems to now only appear a couple times in 2012 and maybe once in 2013 as a special day for former players. The Nationals went with only 2 caps. I'd say 2 or fewer seems to be the average now, with some teams here and there going more.

My guess is the navy/orange cap will be home, all navy road, and I'm guessing an orange alt cap with a possible orange alt jersey.

All navy is listed as home. Navy/Orange is listed as R/A1. All Orange is listed as A2.

I'm interested in seeing the reaction to the BP jerseys.

The Astros wore mostly navy in the '60s. They switched to mostly orange in 1971.

Archived