New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall upgrade. For changes from old look tithe new look, I probably give them a B+ or A-. I would've loved to have seen the shooting star return, which is the only reason for the drop in grade, but it's still a very good look, that looks naturally traditional without being forced like the black and brick eras were.

Exactly what I expected, given the leaks.

The only aspects of the new identity package that harken back to the franchise's history are the overall color scheme and the updated version of the original Astros' cap logo. Frankly, that strikes me as being a sign of a missed opportunity identity-wise.

I'm not a fan of the piping on the placket and sleeves of the jerseys, or the pant legs. I equate such piping with a more traditional look and feel that an expansion franchise launched in 1962 bearing a name reflective of the space program should be a bit less "stuffy". I'm not a fan of the decision to go with block lettering on each and every uniform. I'd have preferred a lettering font that was a bit mote stylized, as has always been the case on the uniforms of the Colt .45s/Astros.

Even the underarms and side-panels of the batting practice jerseys amount to nothing more than a more sterile - at best - nod to the Astros' "rainbow" uniform era.

Bottom line? With the exception of the updated version of the 1965-93 cap logo, the entire package strikes me as being underwhelming. Safe. Meh. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if this is the best they could muster, they'd have been better served simply recoloring their 2001-12 uniforms in a palette of Navy Blue, Orange and White.

I grade it an outright F.

Houston has a Top-5 identity and uniform in the Major Leagues. I personally think it is even better than what the Blue Jays have.

Not quite.

The only good parts of this set are the orange cap and the BP jersey. The rest of it should be taken out back and burned in a dumpster.

Thankfully your opinion has become quite predictable and lacking in any substance or credibility.

The only good parts of this set are the orange cap and the BP jersey. The rest of it should be taken out back and burned in a dumpster.

Thankfully your opinion has become quite predictable and lacking in any substance or credibility.

Maybe my opinion wouldn't be so predictable if MLB uniforms weren't so predictable.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Maybe my opinion wouldn't be so predictable if MLB uniforms weren't so predictable.

You clearly have a preference that does not fit the mold of baseball uniforms. They are a more traditional style of uniform, not super modern and flashy with strange designs like other sports. Thats how they are, have been and will be. Maybe you just shouldn't worry about commenting on them because they aren't gonna change to please your standards anytime soon.

If that is the BP (it looks like it is the BP template) and not an alt, then it is a major failure to use a BP as a regular game jersey on Sundays. That's why Majestic introduced COOLBASE, so teams wouldn't have to do that. And the Astros play indoors anyway!

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Looking at the pictures earlier in the thread, it doesn't look as bad as I was thinking. In fact, it doesn't look bad at all. However, I still prefer the open star they had to the H-star they moved to. I don't think the open star would work with what they have now, but I would have preferred they designed a look around that rather than their original logo.

Regarding the BP jerseys, I love the idea of the tequila sunrise panels. However, it just doesn't sit well with me. And I think it's because it's just a bad design element.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Archived