New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, this set looks like the Mets and Padres went behind the dumpster and 9 months later this popped out.

Did the Astros take the Marlins Identical Orange too? You know, the one Loria specifically designed and worked with New Era to get just right.

No they got different oranges, in fact I was surprised with the orange the Astros picked, at least in Pantone terms, their orange is very dull/dark compared to most other Pantones that pro teams use for orange.

In terms of Pantone...

MIA-HOU-Orange.png

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I'm really sick of X-Box kids calling everything "boring," especially when it doesn't glow in the dark, have 99 uniform options, made-up colors that sound "kewl", have a Mountain Dew scan tag or a Taco Bell free offer.

That said. I like what Houston is trying to accomplish. Many parts I like, many I don't. The "H" star is massively overrated IMHO. Decent job overall.

Oh, and kids, I think "meh" is the new "boring."

newsig.jpg

Count me in on the minority that liked the previous look. I liked the color scheme and the star logo; enough that I was willing to look past how "un-Astro-ey" it was. And considering how I knew I'd miss it, I am really liking this look. It's probably what they should have gone to instead of the blue/gold look. It's a nice upgrade from the 80s look to a more traditional direct. I like the BP side panels (though don't want it worn in games). And I do not like the shooting stars of the old days, so I am glad they avoided that.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but...upgrade.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

*yawn*

Oh look, another team with a circular logo and block script.

Oh look, another post mentioning a round logo and block script with some failed attempt at being funny and original.

Oh look, another b*tchy McCall post.

On the other hand, I like it more than I thought I would. The BP and alt are nice, the squatchee bugs me, but overall 7/10. I still like the brick stuff, though.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

First off, I think the Astros missed a big opportunity here. I think they should have revamped the shooting star set, but I guess I can't hold that against this set. My critiques:

• The orange-billed navy cap needs an orange button. In fact, both solid caps could use contrasting buttons, too.
  • I don't like that they have three caps. However, if they had to have three, they better commit to it. They need three sets of batting helmets. I imagine they will have orange helmets, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wore the solid helmets on the road (like the Reds do). That's busch league. Don't have a road cap if you don't want to make matching helmets.
  • I'm glad they didn't decide to go with orange caps at home and navy on the road. Navy is the predominant color here, and that's fine. I don't think the orange cap works against the navy lettering, but it's not that big an issue since it will be worn once a week.
  • The home and road jerseys should both have the same color piping. I think orange piping would work on the gray.
  • As much as I love placket piping, I think this set would be best served without it. For some reason, it just doesn't look right with the script.
  • I don't like the "Astros" wordmark. Being six letters, it doesn't split well over the button-front jersey. It's the same problem Boston has on their roads (which made them resort to BOS TON in the '80s). I think the placket piping emphasizes how lopsided the wordmark looks.
  • There is no reason to have two different sleeve patches. Just put the all-navy patch on the home jersey.
  • The issue of the bad beveling on the orange star was already touched on, but it needs to be said again. I can't imagine any way light could reflect off of a 3D star to make it look like that.
  • If they did beveling on the orange star, they should have done beveling on the navy star, as well. Do the same thing, just with a lighter navy.
  • The number font is TERRIBLE. This would have looked much better with varsity block. You don't always need a custom number font or one which matches the wordmark. This is another instance of "when keepin' it 'Lights Out' goes wrong."
  • I like the BP jersey as a BP jersey, but it should never be worn during a regular game. You realize just how silly those side panels are when the butt-up against the single color piping of the pants.

Overall, it's a good but underwhelming set. The last set was horrible, so this is a huge upgrade. The most important identifier for a team is its colors. They got the colors right. Aside from the awkward beveling, the logos are good, too. In a few years they can tweak the jerseys if they want: swap wordmarks, get a good number font, add a shooting star, or whatever. But the biggest hurdle was the colors. This LOOKS like the Astros.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Right after saying paranormal activities I shut my laptop because I was Doing it at the time anyways. Did this happen to anyone else? I'm not crazy this really happened.

Wait, you were having sex and watching a uniform launch at the same time?

Yes, there was this paranormal activity thing to unveil Orbit

Clean and simple, great look.

BTW, not to sound crazy, but on my stream right after everyone was on stage and the non players were coming out, a news station broke in Saying something about paranormal activities. Now I know this sounds crazy but honest to god this happened on my feed. Right after saying paranormal activities I shut my laptop because I was Doing it at the time anyways. Did this happen to anyone else? I'm not crazy this really happened.

Hopefully with someone else? :huh:

Wow I didn't even realize that sounded like that hahaha. I applaud all who responded about that part, as I would have definitely did the same thing. But thanks about letting me know bout the mascot. Knew it wasn't any witchary on my computer or anything but was confused as to why that had anything to do with the 'stros.

So what exactly did you mean by that?

Go A's!

If it's giving the OMG I HATE EVERYTHING REMOTELY TRADITIONAL crowd such an aneurysm, it can't be all that bad.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Count me in on the minority that liked the previous look. I liked the color scheme and the star logo; enough that I was willing to look past how "un-Astro-ey" it was. And considering how I knew I'd miss it, I am really liking this look. It's probably what they should have gone to instead of the blue/gold look. It's a nice upgrade from the 80s look to a more traditional direct. I like the BP side panels (though don't want it worn in games). And I do not like the shooting stars of the old days, so I am glad they avoided that.

I never thought I'd be saying this, but...upgrade.

I definitely agree with your first point about how the 2000's star logo was actually pretty good, and the colors were pretty unique to the Astros.

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

I agree with that, I do think the squatchee and bill should always match.

So...you think this looks bad?

pMLB2-3536877dt.jpg

I was referring to the notion of contrasting color caps, how the squatchee and bill should match.

And, no, I don't think that looks bad, because as someone mentioned earlier, it contrasts well with the actual cap logo.

The new set harkens back to the mid-1960s uniforms. You know, the Space Age?

Not really. Other than the caps and the road script, there's nothing really similar to the '60s uniforms, and other than the star, there's nothing space age about them.

- The set, while missing the mark on a few things, is overall very pleasing to the eye.

- MLB may not have needed another navy team, but I sure do love the resurgance of orange as a prominent colour. The Giants, Orioles, Marlins and now Astros have all made efforts in the last 3 years to feature orange, which, other than green, is the most underused colour in sports.

- The hats are absolutely gorgeous. I agree with others that the solid blue cap is unnecessary, but I'm thinking that may be a merchandising decision (some people would only want to buy a solid, non-bright coloured cap)

- The BP jersey is fantastic

- Really wish they would have brought back the shooting star, or even some small rainbow racing stripes down the shoulders instead of the placket piping

- Orange recoloured sleeve patch is redundant

- I love roundel logos, but this is getting ridiculous. Now the Astros, Nats, Padres, A's, Rangers, Jays all essentially have the exact same primary logo template (cap logo inside circle with city above and team name below) and a few others (Mariners, Twins) are damn close. There would have been nothing wrong with just using the H-Star as the primary and the roundel as a patch only (like the Angels and O's)

- Good riddance to the brick & sand era

Overall grade: B

Lots of good, a few missed opportunities.

Archived