New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't get that damn number font... at all.

B1JPU.jpg

I see a lot of similarities to the Washington Nationals' number font.

And I think I now know what it is about this rebrand that's getting me: that picture looks like it could've been taken in the '60s. And maybe that's the brand identity the team was going for, which is all and good, because technically and functionally, the entire set works very well. All that said...short of the navy alternate jersey (which looks good enough for me to wanna go cop out the store right now), there is absolutely nothing about this that draws even the tiniest hint of "space" or "futuristic" emotional feedback out of me, or even excites any of my visual senses, and in my opinion, that's where this entire identity falls short. Oh sure, there's really no need to be all "futuristc" with it, EXCEPT...all throughout the Astros' history, they've had some rather "out there" design elements to their uniforms, from the '60s streaking star (I refuse to call that "shooting" because it looks way too stagnant), to the tequila sunrise rainbow guts to the rainbow shoulder racing stripes, to the '90s actual shooting star...and had we never seen any of that stuff, I guarantee more of us would've had a much more favorable opinion on this. But, considering they had all that draw from and yet chose to finish what their last branding life started and go all the way back old-school, the new set appears very lackluster in comparison.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Also, confused. I'm seeing two different pictures. One has shooting stars on the away and alternate. Is the star there or not?

No that's just a mock-up.

Overall it's a fairly simple, safe look. Nothing too offensive and nothing too interesting.

I still don't get that damn number font... at all.

B1JPU.jpg

I see a lot of similarities to the Washington Nationals' number font.

And I think I now know what it is about this rebrand that's getting me: that picture looks like it could've been taken in the '60s. And maybe that's the brand identity the team was going for, which is all and good, because technically and functionally, the entire set works very well. All that said...short of the navy alternate jersey, there is absolutely nothing about this that draws even the tiniest hint of "space" or "futuristic" emotional feedback out of me, or even excites any of my visual senses, and in my opinion, that's where this entire identity falls short. Oh sure, there's really no need to be all "futuristc" with it, EXCEPT...all throughout the Astros' history, they've had some rather "out there" design elements to their uniforms, from the '60s streaking star (I refuse to call that "shooting" because it looks way too stagnant), to the tequila sunrise rainbow guts to the rainbow shoulder racing stripes, to the '90s actual shooting star...and had we never seen any of that stuff, I guarantee more of us would've had a much more favorable opinion on this. But, considering they had all that draw from and yet chose to finish what their last branding life started and go all the way back old-school, the new set appears very lackluster in comparison.

As has been mentioned before, "Astro" simply means "star", which is featured. It doesn't have to be in the wordmark, it doesn't have to necessarily shown any form of motion, the uniforms don't have to be futuristic or space agey. They just need to look good. Which they do. They may not exactly replicate the original 60's era uniforms, but it does give off the vibe. Are they perfect? No. I myself would've like to see a rebirth of the shooting/streaking star, but this is a solid look nonetheless. It seems most have this preconceived notion that the Astros are required to be the wacky, over-the-top looking team, when in reality, prior to and after the various rainbow eras, they've always had fairly basic uniforms. Sure the wordmarks may have been a little more modern on the 90's navy and gold set, but all-in-all, basic has really been their style.

It's a simple look. Nothing wrong with that. I can't help get past the sleeve logo on the home jerseys. Why the oranger roundel? I would liked to see a star somewhere on the uniforms, maybe not a shooting star. Given that the last set was a mess IMO, I think this a slight upgrade. I still prefered the mid to late '90s set.

Good thing they have Orbit... because the last few seasons they had OBIT.

I saw, I came, I left.

4th orange jersey added to the league in 3 years... Interesting

Fa' sho...now if we can just get some green back up in the league... :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

To the "it doesn't look space age/futuristic/Astro-like" crowd:

What part of this looks like a guy dodging trolley cars, again?

getty-hiroki-kuroda.jpeg?w=320

How does this in any way resemble a tiger?

tigers-uniforms.jpg

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Again, bad example. You're comparing teams that have storied histories that go back 100+ years, and classic, iconic uniforms that have been around for decades, with a team that's been around for 50 years and has never kept the same uniform for more than 15 years. The Astros don't the winning tradition or storied history that those teams do, or that classic, iconic uniform, so they're free to something more modern and out of the box with their uniforms w/o messing with any kind of sacred tradition. If the Tigers were a new or relatively new expansion team, they'd probably have tiger stripes or something like that on their uniforms.

There's a huge fact being completely missed by the ZOMG, BORING! THE MAYANS WERE RIGHT! crowd. They play in a ballpark modeled after a turn of the last century train station. There's no way in God's green earth that they'd look right wearing a modern, gaudy mess with a train carrying oranges behind left field.

Not only did they nicely update their past, but they kept the spirit of the facility in mind in the process.

VmWIn6B.png

tigers-uniforms.jpg

Again, bad example. You're comparing teams that have storied histories that go back 100+ years, and classic, iconic uniforms that have been around for decades, with a team that's been around for 50 years and has never kept the same uniform for more than 15 years. The Astros don't the winning tradition or storied history that those teams do, or that classic, iconic uniform, so they're free to something more modern and out of the box with their uniforms w/o messing with any kind of sacred tradition. If the Tigers were a new or relatively new expansion team, they'd probably have tiger stripes or something like that on their uniforms.

How do you know what the Tigers would do? Baseball team's in general go for more classic looks anyway. And again, just because a team has a history with some gaudy designs it DOESN'T MEAN THEY HAVE TO KEEP HAVING THEM. They do have some simple designs in their past and that's what they chose to go with and it looks good. There's a reason why they kept changing from those out of the box uniforms: they didn't look good.

tigers-uniforms.jpg

Well, that's just a silly argument but I'll play along. OK then, tell me how this in any way represents mountains. Are mountains purple and black?

AAIV220.jpg

While we're at it, maybe it's just me, but I see nothing here that would seem to indicate that Brandon Belt is significantly larger than Yadier Molina; in fact, I think Molina outweighs Belt by a few lbs.

spt-121022-giants-brandon-belt.nbcsports-story-612.jpg

Remind me again how these guys...

150849122_8.jpg?w=353

look like they're portraying one of these guys?

catholic_priest.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

And since we're on the subject of "traditional teams" not messing with tradition or uniforms "they won with", can someone explain why the Oakland A's won three straight titles wearing these...

sal+bando+(7).jpg100131.gif

only to end up looking like this?

Athletics1.jpg

Speaking of which, how does any of that represent an "Athletic?" Better yet, what is an "Athletic?" Or an "Astro" for that matter? The only "Astro" I know is this guy...

astro.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Just accidentally stumbled upon the new Astros logo on the mothership, and MAN this is outrageous - an H slapped on a star? Just how generic it can get? It's Brooklyn Nets all over again! Did Jay-Z design this too?

It's the Major League, after all.

tigers-uniforms.jpg

The road uniforms reflect the name better because they actually use orange on the road.

Detroit-Tigers-NY.jpg

They play in a ballpark modeled after a turn of the last century train station. There's no way in God's green earth that they'd look right wearing a modern, gaudy mess with a train carrying oranges behind left field.

Aren't they tweaking the interior of the park and getting rid of the train?

Well, that's just a silly argument but I'll play along. OK then, tell me how this in any way represents mountains. Are mountains purple and black?

AAIV220.jpg

"Purple mountains' majesty"?

for_purple_mountains_majesty_Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg

Remind me again how these guys...

150849122_8.jpg?w=353

look like they're portraying one of these guys?

catholic_priest.jpg

I'm pretty sure the shape of the front panel on these hats was supposed to somewhat reflect that goofy hat that high-up priests wear.

-Retro-Side-Patch-New-Era-Fitted-2560_LRG.jpg

090522archbishopHat.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived