New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

its up on BrandNew now: http://www.undercons...ing_stellar.php

houston_astros_logo_detail.gif

houston_astros_wordmark.gif

The navy-crowned, orange-brimmed cap should not exist. They have never worn a non-solid color cap in their history (other than the '90s alt) and they are confusing things enough by having the solid orange cap. If they wanted to have the solid blue and solid orange caps to pay homage to their history, that's fine. If they wanted to have the solid-navy cap and the orange brim cap, that's fine. However, doing both is confusing and very bad.

i dont think so. this isnt a throwback uniform, its pulling from a past identity, but is something made for the future. theres new elements and thats one of them. im not the biggest baseball guy, so i dont know how having these cap options is confusing. who are they going to be mistaken for?

I predict that that the home jerseys at least will not last long they are too generic and boring so once the initial sales bump from returning back to blue & orange wears off they will will want to make a change which will most likely be an iteration of the shooting star theme...that design was so simple yet effective and the new look does absolutely nothing.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm guessing all 30 teams' BP hats will be unveiled at the same time, probably during winter meetings.

I think it was sometime around Winter Meetings or so when they introduced the current BP hat, and they did go league-wide in the debut. Any change like that is going to be all-teams-at-once.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Burning question: why unveil uniforms designed to be seen under bright sun/stadium lights to a darkened stadium? I'm reserving some judgment until I see these in action because the pictures from the unveiling look so dull. The computer mock ups look a little better to me, and I think the orange and blue will be a little brighter in real life.

its a good question with no real answer, except they want to make it a show, something dramatic. look at promo shot of football uniforms and you see the same crap. Adidas does the best job, but still, no one wants to show their designs in their environment, which can be a make/break move when showing clients work. at this point, its all done of course, but the point remains; i want to see the designs in their environment and actual application. on a real team of athletes (Astros have done it. football you dont get it) out on the field

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Burning question: why unveil uniforms designed to be seen under bright sun/stadium lights to a darkened stadium? I'm reserving some judgment until I see these in action because the pictures from the unveiling look so dull. The computer mock ups look a little better to me, and I think the orange and blue will be a little brighter in real life.

its a good question with no real answer, except they want to make it a show, something dramatic. look at promo shot of football uniforms and you see the same crap.

But football is ponderous and violent. Baseball is light and happy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

i want to see the designs in their environment and actual application. on a real team of athletes (Astros have done it. football you dont get it) out on the field

How cool would it have been if the team took batting practice or something like that as part of the unveiling. Sell the place out, make it a team wide home run derby under the lights. That would have been great.

You did not just say that.

What? He's right.

I seem to remember the Minnesota Vikings unveiling their uniforms in the sunlight, which was for some reason held at Giants Stadium.

edit: found a picture. BJBack.jpg

The funny thing is If there's one team who should have a uniform unveiling in the dark it's the Vikings. What, with their dome where the lights look like they haven't been turned on.

PvO6ZWJ.png

its a good question with no real answer, except they want to make it a show, something dramatic. look at promo shot of football uniforms and you see the same crap.

right; well, tell that to the Astros, i didnt have anything to do with it LOL

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I am trying to find the answer to this, but I noticed there wasn't a BP hat introduced. Any ideas on that?

The bp hats for every team is changing, to a 5950 model I hear (which makes me happy I bought one last year).

So im sure the astros will be unveiled with the rest of the 30 teams.

Great, thanks for the heads up. I know I am in the minority, but I loved the 3930's. They just fit my head a lot better, so I am sad to see those go.

10cnl9t.jpg

1072szc.jpg

I actually rambled on there some, so to summarize, look at it for what it is rather than what you wanted it to be. That's how you properly judge an identity. Then if you still don't like it, fine. But at least try to make a legitimate reason. Otherwise, around here with all of us sports logos nuts, you're going to lose some future credibility.

Off my soapbox. Criticize me if you want.

Seriously? So you're basically saying that if we don't agree with you, and the reasons why we don't agree aren't good enough for you, then we lose credibility? Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense.

Look, I'm not saying the Astros uniforms are bad, they're not. They're just rather dull and generic and they could have done more to make them unique and exciting, considering their name and their uniform history. Heck, if they had just used the wordmark from the '60s but without the shooting star above it, I would have been okay with that.

I would have preferred keeping the open star, but I like what they did with the H-star. They did a good job of modernizing it making it look less clipart-ish. It looks a lot better than the original H-star. Overall I would give the uniforms a C.

I've done my best to judge them for what they are and that's what I think of them. You're free to disagree, but don't belittle others' opinions or say that they "lose credibility" because you don't agree with them.

Just for fun, I thought I'd try this. What do you guys think?

I like the new Astros uniforms, but I thought the font was too bland. Here's what the main home uniform would look like if they'd used the old wordmark. Mind you, this has a drop shadow simply because I don't know how to add an outline to an already created image. In reality, I'd want an orange outline around ASTROS:

Astros1.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived