New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

I have no idea why so many seem to like those 90s navy&metallic gold unis. Well, I guess to clarify, I thought the uni template itself was okay, but that logo and wordmark were both just bad IMO.

It's their only modernized outer space look.

I think that's the problem and why I never liked them. The "space" look always needs look futuristic, but what qualifies as "futuristic" is constantly changing. The 90s typeface looks like a very dated interpretation of the future to me. Going retro is a better shot at a timeless look.

Granted, the orange sherbet look was pretty dated by 1994, too. But that's got more retro-cool than the navy/gold unis.

Why does a space theme need to look futuristic? Do we not have space in the present? The past? Hell we landed on the moon back in 1969, in the Astros 8th season of existence. Futuristic is not synonymous with space.

Actually it pretty much is. It's pretty hard to make something space-looking without it looking futuristic. Think of all the things that are associated with space--NASA, Star Trek, Star Wars, Lost In Space, The Jetsons, etc. They all look futuristic. The only example I can think of of something space-related looking old fashioned is H.G. Wells era, and even that looked futuristic at the time.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
t's pretty hard to make something space-looking without it looking futuristic. Think of all the things that are associated with space--NASA, Star Trek, Star Wars, Lost In Space, The Jetsons, etc. They all look futuristic.

And they all share an aesthetic deeply rooted in the 1960s.

Funny you should mention NASA - thry too tried to modernize their look, only to scrap it and return to their 1959 classic.

t's pretty hard to make something space-looking without it looking futuristic. Think of all the things that are associated with space--NASA, Star Trek, Star Wars, Lost In Space, The Jetsons, etc. They all look futuristic.

Funny you should mention NASA - thry too tried to modernize their look, only to scrap it and return to their 1959 classic.

Yeah, the whole idea of "futuristic" seems ironically dated as a concept. The best look for a team that got started in the early 60's and calls themselves "Astros" (George Jetson's dog, by the way) is, IMO, a retro 50's/60's space motif. Don't fall competely into kitch, but maybe hover just on the edge.

These days the average MLB uniform is so painfully dull... colors are dull, graphics are dull, all the new "custom" fonts are dull... give us something with some life to it. Those chunky retro block letters they seem to be using are, oddly enough, more interesting in comparison to all the beveled, shadowed blandness currently being pushed.

Just what we need, yet another navy team in baseball. :rolleyes:

And just what we need, another person saying the same thing that's been said a thousand times before. Due to the fact that the Astros had navy for all but the last 13 or so years of their 59 seasons of existence, they don't really qualify as just another team adding navy.

Maybe what he was going for was : Oh great, another AL team with a navy-based set. We now have

1. Yanks (midnight...)

2. Red Sox

3. Tampa

4. Indians

5. Twins

6. Tigers

7. Astros

8. Mariners

out of 15 teams...

It just seems like at this point in time, we have a glut of navy/ blue in the AL and a ton of red in the NL (Nats, Braves, Phillies, Reds, Cardinals, Arizona - brick).

Some of that can't be helped, based on names, tradition, logic, etc. There was just no need to get the D-Backs out of the 90's set (which ages quite well) and the Nats into a red-based motif. Oh well. You're not gonna go too far afield with a team out of D.C., and I guess someone was destined to rock "Sedona."

Just what we need, yet another navy team in baseball. :rolleyes:

And just what we need, another person saying the same thing that's been said a thousand times before. Due to the fact that the Astros had navy for all but the last 13 or so years of their 59 seasons of existence, they don't really qualify as just another team adding navy.

+1

If the uniform looks good, who gives a :censored: if one of their colors is common.

Here's an idea. The Astros should add every single uniform set they have ever worn throughout their entire "Houston Astros" franchise history(home, road, and alternate) to their upcoming 2013 set and wear them all every season full time. Overall, they'd have like 30 different uniform sets to choose from. I think every major league club should do the same, since some teams like the Angels, Padres, Astros, Diamond Backs. and Rangers did with their special event flashback weekend games. The 2013 uniforms would be their primary uniforms, while the throwbacks would be alternates. Anyways, I can't wait til November 2!

Well, if not navy, at least a fairly dark blue.

If they didn't wear the Rangers' shade, it was just a bit darker. Regardless, it's a pet peeve of mine when people say navy is an "update" of royal blue and act as if they Sabres returned to their true colors.

Obviously we're nitpicky on this board and microanalyze this stuff ; but navy and royal are both shades of blue, and I'd say blue+yellow/gold is a return to their true colors, compared to blue/red. I'd say that current Jazz set is a more or less a return to their true colors - remember, we can't even decide whether to call the Lakers purple or blue, so the Jazz are at least pretty close to their current color.

In the '90s and '00s we've had so many teams totally trash their identities with color changes (Pistons, Sonics, Astros, Sixers, Jazz, etc etc) - going back to the general "true colors" is good enough, even if the shade is tweaked.

Well, if not navy, at least a fairly dark blue.

If they didn't wear the Rangers' shade, it was just a bit darker. Regardless, it's a pet peeve of mine when people say navy is an "update" of royal blue and act as if they Sabres returned to their true colors.

Obviously we're nitpicky on this board and microanalyze this stuff ; but navy and royal are both shades of blue, and I'd say blue+yellow/gold is a return to their true colors, compared to blue/red. I'd say that current Jazz set is a more or less a return to their true colors - remember, we can't even decide whether to call the Lakers purple or blue, so the Jazz are at least pretty close to their current color.

In the '90s and '00s we've had so many teams totally trash their identities with color changes (Pistons, Sonics, Astros, Sixers, Jazz, etc etc) - going back to the general "true colors" is good enough, even if the shade is tweaked.

I disagree. Royal and navy are distinctively different colors. If the Sabres couldn't be bothered to go back to their actual colors, I preferred they wear the black and red crap. At least that wasn't pretending to be honoring their lineage.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

And we haven't even seen the whole Astros set yet. It's looking like it might be primarily orange with navy used as just an accent.

I wouldn't necessarily think so. Even though the sleeves & trim were orange, the primary color of the hat & name/numbers were navy.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

And we haven't even seen the whole Astros set yet. It's looking like it might be primarily orange with navy used as just an accent.

I wouldn't necessarily think so. Even though the sleeves & trim were orange, the primary color of the hat & name/numbers were navy.

They'll probably end up being a team with a color identity crisis. Perfect for what is essentially an AL expansion franchise with AAAA talent.

Anyway, all the new uniform needs to do is look good

No, it also needs to actually reflect the team name and be unique from the rest of the league, and even from the tiny bit of the uniform we've been able to see so far, the Astros' uniform set fails epically on both counts.

No, infrared is more correct. Not every uniform HAS to express it's nickname exactly. The Astros do not HAVE to be unique from everyone else. As long as they look good, appropriate for their team name without having to go overboard and their fans approve, then that's all.

Haha, more correct! Haha!

Anyway, I think that is what a team should do. Just look decent enough to convey a message to fans that the team is still in your favorite color or attire. Navy Blue and Orange has always been their colors, so they reflect that image.

The 90's went overboard on designs. Look at the NBA for example. Their overboard ideas turned against them because it became stale and out of touch for some people. While others feel that it's just another team trying to shove their mascot down people's throats (Buck's silly ass violet and forest green look and the Detroit Piston's ugly teal, red, orange, black, and white is another prime example).

If the Astros want to convey a look and message, I think the new one coming up is going to be very solid.

I hate how people complain about a uniform looking plain. People said that about the Buffalo Bills going back to white/royal blue/white look and stated about keeping the red helmets. Now, there are some teams that do not even look right while other teams do.

Yeah, that specific genre of aesthetics is called "retro futurism" for a reason.

spacer.png

They'll probably end up being a team with a color identity crisis. Perfect for what is essentially an AL expansion franchise with AAAA talent.

AAAA is too nice to them.

More like "A" talent.

spacer.png

AAAA is too nice to them.

More like "A" talent.

Still too nice, how about Little League talent?

I can only hope the Astros select the light navy New Era shade (Rays, Indians) over the midnight navy shade (Yankees)

I'd actually prefer if they went with more a deep steel blue color, myself...right along with their NFL brethren of the same city. Either that, or something a touch bit lighter in shade but paler at the same time...something that makes whatever shade of orange they've decided on pop out a bit more.

But that's just me. I get the feeling it'll be a straight navy and orange like the Detroit Tigers use...and that the new uniforms will be a straight replication of the '60s sets with the streaking star. (I still fail to see what's "shooting" about that--the star looks stagnant to me, and those streak lines look like they belong on a box of washing powder rather than a 2012 MLB jersey--and I specified the year for a reason. ;) )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Yeah, the whole idea of "futuristic" seems ironically dated as a concept. The best look for a team that got started in the early 60's and calls themselves "Astros" (George Jetson's dog, by the way) is, IMO, a retro 50's/60's space motif. Don't fall competely into kitch, but maybe hover just on the edge.

These days the average MLB uniform is so painfully dull... colors are dull, graphics are dull, all the new "custom" fonts are dull... give us something with some life to it. Those chunky retro block letters they seem to be using are, oddly enough, more interesting in comparison to all the beveled, shadowed blandness currently being pushed.

This.

Archived