2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

If they used the navy exclusively as a clash cap, I don't think I'd mind it so much.

I think I would mind it more if they did that. At least they have some consistency with it as a road cap. If they started wearing it essentially at random, it would really make their look worse.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cardinals have so much history wearing a navy cap—not to mention the last 2 decades—that I'm really, really disappointed to see it go. Even with the navy cap, they've never struggled with what their primary color is. They're a red team.

But navy was the right change of pace on the road (it was just the caps and the belts), and it was the perfect homage to many of the great Cardinals teams of the past.

Wearing red at home and on the road will only serve to make themselves less distinct, not more.

It is a great looking cap. I'm not saying it isn't. The red one's just that much better. It's one of the best in baseball, easily in the same league as the Yankees' NY and the Tigers' D. When you have one of the very best caps in the history of the game you wear it all the time (I know Detroit doesn't but they should too).

There are other ways to use the good looking navy cap that won't involve displacing the classic red cap half the time.

Also, I don't think wearing red at home and navy on the road was a very distinct look. The Nationals and Rangers have both been playing around with emphasizing either red or blue on the home and road.

The Cards are going to look so much better with red caps on the road.

This. The navy caps don't look bad, just unnecessary. The red Cardinals cap is one of the best in baseball. They should be wearing it full time.

Relegate the navy cap to bp/Spring Training.

Except for it's long history and the fact that it's very popular among Cardinals fans. I think it works great as the road. Especially when playing in Philly, Cincinnati, Arizona and next year, Anaheim.

I don't mind the BP/spring training idea, except the Cardinals wear their regular unis in the spring, which is how we got to keep seeing the red on the road every year. Still, it'd be a better BP than just a home cap with piping.

I was thinking a better use for the navy cap might be to keep it as the Sunday alt cap and shelve the solobird cap. It'd be a bit of a Sunday throwback for the home fans. And they're already doing the "high-sock Sunday."

The Cards are going to look so much better with red caps on the road.

This. The navy caps don't look bad, just unnecessary. The red Cardinals cap is one of the best in baseball. They should be wearing it full time.

Relegate the navy cap to bp/Spring Training.

Except for it's long history and the fact that it's very popular among Cardinals fans. I think it works great as the road. Especially when playing in Philly, Cincinnati, Arizona and next year, Anaheim.

I don't mind the BP/spring training idea, except the Cardinals wear their regular unis in the spring, which is how we got to keep seeing the red on the road every year. Still, it'd be a better BP than just a home cap with piping.

I was thinking a better use for the navy cap might be to keep it as the Sunday alt cap and shelve the solobird cap. It'd be a bit of a Sunday throwback for the home fans. And they're already doing the "high-sock Sunday."

No, the current Sunday cap should stay as well. Honestly the only change they need to make is put "St. Louis" on the roads. That's it. Nothing else.

Those in the know, is the Rays' new cap something unique in MLB, or is it a simple change in color combination?

For some reason, I figured the Rays' new cap will be like the old BP one they had (navy crown and columbia bill).

No, the current Sunday cap should stay as well. Honestly the only change they need to make is put "St. Louis" on the roads. That's it. Nothing else.

I disagree about the road cap and especially the alternate cap, but either of these on the road would look incredible.

Cardsroadblue.jpgCardsroadred.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Some props on MetsBlog: http://metsblog.com/metsblog/next-years-mets-uniforms-will-be/

Chris Creamer from SportsLogos.net, which has broken several uniform-related stories over the last year or so, says the Mets will feature the pinstripe cream and plain white at home and the same road grays from 2012, as well as a blue jersey at home and a second blue jersey on the road (which will feature silver and gray script, not orange).

Creamer also says the team will bring back a black jersey, which Shannon speculates could be a way to honor Mike Piazza, who is finally eligible for the baseball Hall of Fame this summer.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I do not like St. Louis on the road jerseys. It does not look right, and I don't just mean it doesn't look like I'm used to. That script, while beautiful does not fit well on the bat. It'd squeezing together some elements that don't belong that way just for the sake of living up to the faux-standard that a road jersey much have the city name on it.

I think the road jersey having the city name on it is the first inclination. It's the first thing you look at when putting together a new set. But it shouldn't be a real standard and it shouldn't be forced. Cardinals looks great across the front of the jersey, they needn't force something else that doesn't look as good.

The Nationals and Rangers have both experimented with a different color cap on the road, but not been quite as successful with it. With the Cardinals, you can still tell beyond any shadow of a doubt that they're a red team, this is just their road look. The Nationals and the Rangers have been unable to find the right balance (though the Nationals do pretty well now).

There's nothing WRONG with the red cap on the road, I just don't believe it looks as good, and there's just so many teams who have gone to it in the last decade or so (Angels & Reds come to mind.) I know wearing a navy cap isn't unique either. But I thought the combination was, at least some what.

And again, there's history, and that's why I'd refute the idea that the red cap is necessarily anymore classic. Most of the best teams and best players wore navy caps either all season or for half the season. Not all, but most. I'd hate to lose that.

My first preference would be to leave things alone. If the navy road caps have to go, my second preference would be to at least leave the alt caps. If those need to be touched, then my preference would be to take the current road cap, add a red bill to it and make that the Sunday alternate.

The Cardinals don't have uniforms so perfect or so classic they can't be touched. In fact, the thing about the Cardinals uniforms is that you can do a lot of little things to them and they're still going to be some of the best in the league. But I just happen to really like the way they are now.

I do not like St. Louis on the road jerseys. It does not look right, and I don't just mean it doesn't look like I'm used to. That script, while beautiful does not fit well on the bat. It'd squeezing together some elements that don't belong that way just for the sake of living up to the faux-standard that a road jersey much have the city name on it.

I think the road jersey having the city name on it is the first inclination. It's the first thing you look at when putting together a new set. But it shouldn't be a real standard and it shouldn't be forced. Cardinals looks great across the front of the jersey, they needn't force something else that doesn't look as good.

The Nationals and Rangers have both experimented with a different color cap on the road, but not been quite as successful with it. With the Cardinals, you can still tell beyond any shadow of a doubt that they're a red team, this is just their road look. The Nationals and the Rangers have been unable to find the right balance (though the Nationals do pretty well now).

There's nothing WRONG with the red cap on the road, I just don't believe it looks as good, and there's just so many teams who have gone to it in the last decade or so (Angels & Reds come to mind.) I know wearing a navy cap isn't unique either. But I thought the combination was, at least some what.

And again, there's history, and that's why I'd refute the idea that the red cap is necessarily anymore classic. Most of the best teams and best players wore navy caps either all season or for half the season. Not all, but most. I'd hate to lose that.

My first preference would be to leave things alone. If the navy road caps have to go, my second preference would be to at least leave the alt caps. If those need to be touched, then my preference would be to take the current road cap, add a red bill to it and make that the Sunday alternate.

The Cardinals don't have uniforms so perfect or so classic they can't be touched. In fact, the thing about the Cardinals uniforms is that you can do a lot of little things to them and they're still going to be some of the best in the league. But I just happen to really like the way they are now.

I don't blame the cardinals but I do blame all of the other red & navy teams that keep messing with their uniforms to the point that I can't tell if I watching the Nats, Twins, Indians, Cards, or Red Sox. I give the Cards and Sox more of a pass for decades of consistency but the other teams need to make up their minds with the hats already.

I obviously like St. Louis on the road set, and I disagree that the current road jersey looks good. The home set is great. The stark white with no piping is so striking and clean. It's an extremely strong set. The road set just looks like a dirty home jersey, like someone said "we can't wear white on the road" and another responded, "Eh, take a white jersey and dye it gray." I think the St. Louis wordmark is very good and it would be unique from the home set, making it stronger. I don't think the current road ensemble has anything going for it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think that with the birds and bat that the Cardinals script is too small as it is. The St. Louis script looks even smaller, which makes it look weird.

I hate the Cardinals as much as I hate any team in sports, but unlike that other team I hate (Pittsburgh Steelers), the Cardinals actually have good looking uniforms.

Put me in the camp that doesn't want to see the navy road hat go away or for anything else about their uniforms to change.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think that with the birds and bat that the Cardinals script is too small as it is. The St. Louis script looks even smaller, which makes it look weird.

I hate the Cardinals as much as I hate any team in sports, but unlike that other team I hate (Pittsburgh Steelers), the Cardinals actually have good looking uniforms.

Put me in the camp that doesn't want to see the navy road hat go away or for anything else about their uniforms to change.

Can someone check the weather report for hell? I think me and McCarthy just agreed on something. ;)

As far as "St.Louis" on the roads, I like the idea, but have still been skeptical of the execution. I've fiddled with it some myself, and while it's still off, I feel there may be a way for it to work. At least at the moment. But I'd rather them stay as is than put put something subpar. I mean they have the best uniforms in baseball and one of the best in all of sports. They gotta hold themselves to a higher standard and think it's gotta be exactly right and not just "passable".

In addition, even though I once wouldn't have minded it, they should NOT ever add piping. A throwback alt is one thing, but not to the primaries. I though the thin, 3-color piping like the Pirates, Giants, etc. use in the navy/white/red scheme like from the pullover days would be fine, but I think everything works perfectly together as they are now and any "uniform features" would just be too much.

I obviously like St. Louis on the road set, and I disagree that the current road jersey looks good. The home set is great. The stark white with no piping is so striking and clean. It's an extremely strong set. The road set just looks like a dirty home jersey, like someone said "we can't wear white on the road" and another responded, "Eh, take a white jersey and dye it gray." I think the St. Louis wordmark is very good and it would be unique from the home set, making it stronger. I don't think the current road ensemble has anything going for it.

But that's kinda what a baseball road uniform is...

Plus, if you think the homes look good, the script on the road jersey isn't the issue.

Sounds like you just want them to do something different on the road and that you really want to hold to the city name on the road standard. Which is a fair perspective, of course.

I just don't see how replacing a few cursive letters does anything to solve your stated criticism that the jersey looks dull and dirty. But I can understand if you just would prefer to see something different done on the road. (I don't totally disagree with that, but that's why I like the navy hats so much.)

I disagree about the road cap and especially the alternate cap, but either of these on the road would look incredible.

Cardsroadred.jpg

A red baseball? You're wrong; it would look hideous. :P

I do like both the red cap and the city name, though.

Archived