2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

But that's kinda what a baseball road uniform is...

Plus, if you think the homes look good, the script on the road jersey isn't the issue.

Sounds like you just want them to do something different on the road and that you really want to hold to the city name on the road standard. Which is a fair perspective, of course.

I just don't see how replacing a few cursive letters does anything to solve your stated criticism that the jersey looks dull and dirty. But I can understand if you just would prefer to see something different done on the road. (I don't totally disagree with that, but that's why I like the navy hats so much.)

I hated the '90s Dodgers road set too, and for the same reason. The home jerseys were clean and bold, while the road just looked kinda "meh". I love the Dodgers' current roads (or rather, I preferred the previous version with the white outlines). I don't mind the team name appearing on both basketball jersey because they are very different colors with the wordmarks inverse. In fact, I actually prefer all jerseys to feature the team name, like the Bulls' home and road.

Baseball is different because they use gray roads. I think when you do the same thing, except in gray, it looks kinda dull. However, when the gray is changed up a little bit, something to give it more of a visual identity other than "our jersey... just in gray", I think it makes that jersey look like it was designed that way instead of looking like they reluctantly slapped a patch on a gray jersey just because they were told they have to wear gray on the road.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if the Cardinals went with a navy STL with white outline on the red cap for the roads? They'd be like the Tigers with home and road caps the same color but with different color initials.

I think the navy StL on red would work well with the gray road set because there's no white on it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think St. Louis on the roads just looks odd cause you aren't used to it. Do it for a few years and you wouldn't miss it.

I like the idea of moving the road cap to Sundays (all Sundays road and home) and moving the bird to BP.

All in all you can't do much wrong with the cards set except removing the birds on the bat or pinstripes. I'd even be behind a 40s era piping. I wouldn't freak out about a red alt, but I hope they don't.

What if the Cardinals went with a navy STL with white outline on the red cap for the roads? They'd be like the Tigers with home and road caps the same color but with different color initials.

I think the navy StL on red would work well with the gray road set because there's no white on it.

I'd hate that more than anything. I can't stand the idea of having 2 hats so similar. It's like the New York (football) Giants 2 sets of grey pants. Just don't do it. It's silly.

I think St. Louis on the roads just looks odd cause you aren't used to it. Do it for a few years and you wouldn't miss it.

I don't know about that. We've seen people try it and it's always tricky. The St. Louis script was not design to go on the bats, and I've never seen a modification of it that doesn't look awkwardly placed. Being 2 words just really makes it a tricky fit. And I haven't seen one I like yet.

On the contrary, I've always enjoyed the Springfield Cardinals logo with Springfield on the bat. So I don't think it's just a matter of being different. St. Louis just does not fit on that logo very well.

Nothing being discussed here would be terrible, but I think the uniforms are currently at their peak.

I think it makes that jersey look like it was designed that way instead of looking like they reluctantly slapped a patch on a gray jersey just because they were told they have to wear gray on the road.

1. I don't mind the idea of it just being the home jersey in grey all that much. That makes sense to me to some extent.

2. That's what the navy cap does! It takes the same thing but grey and adds something to make the road identity unique from the home identity.

No, that would make it look like the fashion caps you see being sold and not a legitimate on-field cap. With the red cap, the red and white are at least balanced with the jersey, even though it's gray. With the navy cap, the logo is red which matches the lettering on the jersey and creates a cohesive look. Having a navy logo on a red cap would stand out too awkwardly.

I like the idea of moving the road cap to Sundays (all Sundays road and home) and moving the bird to BP.

All in all you can't do much wrong with the cards set except removing the birds on the bat or pinstripes. I'd even be behind a 40s era piping. I wouldn't freak out about a red alt, but I hope they don't.

No piping. The plain uniforms allow the birds on the bat to stand out without being over cluttered. Especially with the red trimmed in navy against the plain white on the homes.

Those in the know, is the Rays' new cap something unique in MLB, or is it a simple change in color combination?

From the details I have been able to gather, all I am going to say is you've seen it before.

Right, but that could mean simply adding a Columbia brim or going all Columbia (not unlike the Royals alt hat, nothing noteworthy) or doing something completely unique in MLB by officially adding the plaid-brimmed hat, which would surely be subject of lively debate here.

Hope they'll look like this, I think it would look real nice.

Mets2013Home.jpg?t=1350429249

Mets2013Away2.jpg?t=1350429304

I'd love to see the road version look like this. Even though its on the one hand "just another colored alt" the grey writing is something a little different. The old BP jersey that looked like this is a long time white whale for me

mets.png

Hope they'll look like this, I think it would look real nice.

Mets2013Away2.jpg?t=1350429304

I'd love to see the road version look like this. Even though its on the one hand "just another colored alt" the grey writing is something a little different. The old BP jersey that looked like this is a long time white whale for me

Same here. I've hoped for a while that someone would use gray on a road cap or road alt. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that the white trim on many alts and caps don't work with the traditional road pants that are always worn. I always thought the Cubs would look good with blue-gray-red on the road. Now that the Mets have cleaned up their colors, it could work really well for them, too.

I'd hate that more than anything. I can't stand the idea of having 2 hats so similar. It's like the New York (football) Giants 2 sets of grey pants. Just don't do it. It's silly.

The difference is, they don't sell the pants...

Anubis.png

The difference is, they don't sell the pants...

Maybe they should. Not football pants of course, but maybe cargo pants with each team's stripes or design on them.

1. I don't mind the idea of it just being the home jersey in grey all that much. That makes sense to me to some extent.

2. That's what the navy cap does! It takes the same thing but grey and adds something to make the road identity unique from the home identity.

I think gray jerseys are an opportunity (and somewhat of an onus) for teams to expand their identity. As I said, having the same wordmark on white and gray is much different than having it on white and red or yellow and purple.

As for the navy cap, it does change the overall look from the home set (not in a good way, IMO), However, I am in favor of teams wearing one cap for all games in almost all cases. I think the distinguishing from the home set should be done on the jersey. If one was buying a Cardinals jersey, which one would they buy? I imagine a huge percentage, far higher than other teams' fans, would be the home jersey because there is nothing visually interesting about the gray jersey itself. It's the same as the home jersey, just less clean and striking.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Can we get any confirmation that those are pretty close to what the Mets are doing?

If they are going with gray lettering on the road alt, I think I'm going to have to wait to see it on the field. From the image above, I think it's going to be hard to distinguish the characters from any distance, particularly the wordmark. Maybe if it was silver (as reported earlier) instead of gray, it would be clearer, but silver isn't in the Mets' identity and doesn't exactly look good next to gray, anyway.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived