2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

Early in the summer I emailed the Mariners asking if they would make the alt cap the full time home cap. I also asked if they could bring back the 90s teal alternate cap. I got an automated response about how they appreciate questions and mine was being forwarded to the appropriate department and to expect a response.

Now it's almost winter and still nothing. I think it's safe not to expect any changes on their part. >_<

Also, it's great the Mets are embracing the blue jerseys again. I think it would be great if they had 2 BP jerseys: a blue jersey and an orange one. I'm not sure a regular season orange alternate would work for the Mets. But for BP and Spring Training, why not?

And, if the Mets are keeping their black alternate for this season just for Mike Piazza, would they get rid of it after 2013?

I got the same exact results from asking the M's a similar question. Frustrating indeed, but the M's are one ballclub that has been historically good at keeping their mouths shut regarding upcoming changes, trade rumors, etc. So I'll take it as reassurance, because the M's are one club that really listens to feedback from the fans.

As for the Mets, two blue alts would be alright I guess, just as long as they aren't both orange script/white outline. I like that for the home alt, but I really hope that NEW YORK script in silver with an orange outline comes to life as the road alt.

Two other things about the Mets: it kinda bothers me that the black alt is STILL not gone, but if they promise to keep it for literally only a couple of games, that's reasonable (especially given the Piazza situation). Second, an orange alt is not the way to go. They used an orange BP jersey around '06 I think, and it looked hideous. Also, eliminate the "snow white" alt. The Mets don't need so many different jerseys in the mix.

They don't need that many jerseys, but keep the snow whites, make them the primary home, pinstripes home alt, one blue jersey with Mets in orange as a home/road alt and gray road. Black only for Mike Piazza day or whatever. One time use then gone. There. That's how the Mets should look.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early in the summer I emailed the Mariners asking if they would make the alt cap the full time home cap. I also asked if they could bring back the 90s teal alternate cap. I got an automated response about how they appreciate questions and mine was being forwarded to the appropriate department and to expect a response.

Now it's almost winter and still nothing. I think it's safe not to expect any changes on their part. >_<

Also, it's great the Mets are embracing the blue jerseys again. I think it would be great if they had 2 BP jerseys: a blue jersey and an orange one. I'm not sure a regular season orange alternate would work for the Mets. But for BP and Spring Training, why not?

And, if the Mets are keeping their black alternate for this season just for Mike Piazza, would they get rid of it after 2013?

I got the same exact results from asking the M's a similar question. Frustrating indeed, but the M's are one ballclub that has been historically good at keeping their mouths shut regarding upcoming changes, trade rumors, etc. So I'll take it as reassurance, because the M's are one club that really listens to feedback from the fans.

As for the Mets, two blue alts would be alright I guess, just as long as they aren't both orange script/white outline. I like that for the home alt, but I really hope that NEW YORK script in silver with an orange outline comes to life as the road alt.

Two other things about the Mets: it kinda bothers me that the black alt is STILL not gone, but if they promise to keep it for literally only a couple of games, that's reasonable (especially given the Piazza situation). Second, an orange alt is not the way to go. They used an orange BP jersey around '06 I think, and it looked hideous. Also, eliminate the "snow white" alt. The Mets don't need so many different jerseys in the mix.

They don't need that many jerseys, but keep the snow whites, make them the primary home, pinstripes home alt, one blue jersey with Mets in orange as a home/road alt and gray road. Black only for Mike Piazza day or whatever. One time use then gone. There. That's how the Mets should look.

pinstripe should always be the primary at home, get rid of the creme color tho

True2OB.png

I like the Mets using the snow whites to distinguish themselves from the Yankees. Plus I just like them better. Those would always be my primaries.

Agree with you on the cream color. Works for some teams, but not this one. Vibrant blue and orange need as much white as possible to set them off, which might be why I vastly prefer the piped jerseys to the pinstripes.

I like the Mets using the snow whites to distinguish themselves from the Yankees. Plus I just like them better. Those would always be my primaries.

Agree with you on the cream color. Works for some teams, but not this one. Vibrant blue and orange need as much white as possible to set them off, which might be why I vastly prefer the piped jerseys to the pinstripes.

By that logic, the Mets should also stop using the NY on their caps.

The Mets' pinstripes are distinguishable from the Yankees'.

By that logic, the Mets should also stop using the NY on their caps.

The Mets' pinstripes are distinguishable from the Yankees'.

Two smal historical notes to keep in mind:

1. Pinstripes were first worn on the 1907 Chicago Cubs road uniforms, so technically, both teams are copying the Cubs.

2. The Mets' NY is straight from the old New York Giants logo, first worn in 1908; the Yankee's NY was first worn in 1909.

Well, if we're going to talk history, then I wish the Mets would adopt the Giants' original interlocking NY logo instead of the one Stoneham introduced in 1950, when he was already halfway out of New York.

Humphrey Bogart didn't star in the first film version of "The Maltese Falcon", but after his turn the character became unmistakably and permanently his. That's how I feel about the Yankees and pinstripes. They didn't invent the look, but they do define it. There's only one team you mean when you talk about "in pinstripes". And this is speaking as a fan who grew up living and dying with a non-Bronx team who also wore pins. When was the last time the Cubs were ever referred to by their pinstripes? Or, for that matter, the Mets?

Well, if we're going to talk history, then I wish the Mets would adopt the Giants' original interlocking NY logo instead of the one Stoneham introduced in 1950, when he was already halfway out of New York.

Humphrey Bogart didn't star in the first film version of "The Maltese Falcon", but after his turn the character became unmistakably and permanently his. That's how I feel about the Yankees and pinstripes. They didn't invent the look, but they do define it. There's only one team you mean when you talk about "in pinstripes". And this is speaking as a fan who grew up living and dying with a non-Bronx team who also wore pins. When was the last time the Cubs were ever referred to by their pinstripes? Or, for that matter, the Mets?

Clearly, origins aside, the Yankees are identified by, among other things, the pinstripes on the home uniforms.

That said, I think it is important to note that the Mets' design elements were clearly a reflection of New York's baseball past, this new club in 1962 wanted to be seen as "New York" baseball, however historically poor they played.

Remember, this was 1962, so Stoneham's 1950 logo would have been the most recent New York NL emblem.

And, lest we forget, the general manager/team manager combination of Weiss and Stengel came straight from the Yankees. To me, there's no doubt that they had some influence on the use of pinstripes (though I would love for a second source to confirm that). At least the pinstriping they used was of a slightly different type, and not a direct copy.

(Lastly, from a non-uniform point of view, it's clear the early Mets wanted the team to be identified with New York baseball, just look at all the former Giants, Dodgers, and Yankees on the 1962-64 teams).

I guess my point is simply that there was a lot of thought behind the uniform decisions that the "new" NL club made in the early 1960s; and I don't think we give the original design enough credit for meeting that goal.

Back on topic with the upcoming Mets' changes:

I'm not sure I'm quite in agreement with there being "two" blue alts. On one hand, I don't like it when a team has so many uniform options. On the other hand, I'd hate it if they only did a "Mets" script blue alt, then wore that on the road for half of their road games.

In my opinion, the Old English (or whatever typeface it is) "New York" on a Mets road uniform is the best traditional road look the Mets have had throughout their history. So if having two blue alts means they always have that "New York" lettering on their shirts on the road, I guess I can sort of accept it, even if it means so many uniform options.

Just my two cents worth.

I think that's the idea. I find myself conflicted; I have a rule against multiple alts, but also one against wearing the team name on the road. So I think I'd be on board with the two alts.

I do agree that they deserve a lot of credit for that original uniform, which borrowed elements from all New York's teams and yet managed to look neither derivative nor disjointed. It really was beautiful.

I just happen to think that the pinstripes are a better look for the Mets. And the Amazin's are sufficiently established that they no longer have to borrow any secondhand Yankee glory.

I also understand why Mrs. Payton enshrined Stoneham's last logo into New York baseball history, but I do wish that the one particular version didn't just happen to be in use when the roulette wheel stopped turning. The older version was so much more deserving, not to mention interesting.

Gothamite, for what it's worth, I grew up a Mets fan thanks to my maternal Grandmother; herself an old Brooklyn Dodgers fan. She always said that she could tolerate the blue and orange; but always complained that the hat emblem was from "the damned Giants!"

An aside: She was a long-time baseball fan, who saw Ruth and Mays and DiMaggio and Gehrig and Robinson. It always "pained" her to admit that WIllie Mays was "the best player she ever saw, including Ruth" since he was a Giant. Yes, Ruth was her #2, and she'd always point out that Ruth was exponentially more popular than Mays.

When it comes to the Mets' home set, I love the pinstripes - since that's what I saw Seaver pitch in as a little kid, but I also love the bright white plain homes (sans cream color) - not only for your note above that it makes the orange and blue pop better, but I happen to love the blue piping on that set.

I've got three Mets jerseys in my collection - a Mom-put together replica of a Seaver road uniform; a Mookie Wilson pinstriped home jersey (from his coaching, not playing days), and a David Wright plain white home. Only issue I have with the last two is that the darn drop-shadow is on the Mets script. I might have to get one of the new blue alts (though I might have a hard time determining what player to use - Santana? Dickey? Wright again?).

I'd hate that more than anything. I can't stand the idea of having 2 hats so similar. It's like the New York (football) Giants 2 sets of grey pants. Just don't do it. It's silly.

The difference is, they don't sell the pants...

Maybe they should. Not football pants of course, but maybe cargo pants with each team's stripes or design on them.

How about athletic shorts/pants or even sweatpants?

Like these? (Well, minus the big ass logo.)

http://shop.miamidol...6072746_PD.html

Those are freaking AWESOME! For normal shorts they'd look kinda stupid, but swim/board shorts I feel you're more allowed to go with some crazy colorful designs. I'd buy a pair in a second if I was a Dolphins fan.

Those are awesome, except for the fact that the logo is backwards. The Dolphin should be leaping toward the front of the shorts, like on the helmet.

22-24410-Y.jpghelmetdolphins.jpg

I'd hate that more than anything. I can't stand the idea of having 2 hats so similar. It's like the New York (football) Giants 2 sets of grey pants. Just don't do it. It's silly.

The difference is, they don't sell the pants...

Maybe they should. Not football pants of course, but maybe cargo pants with each team's stripes or design on them.

How about athletic shorts/pants or even sweatpants?

Like these? (Well, minus the big ass logo.)

http://shop.miamidol...6072746_PD.html

Those are freaking AWESOME! For normal shorts they'd look kinda stupid, but swim/board shorts I feel you're more allowed to go with some crazy colorful designs. I'd buy a pair in a second if I was a Dolphins fan.

Those are awesome, except for the fact that the logo is backwards. The Dolphin should be leaping toward the front of the shorts, like on the helmet.

22-24410-Y.jpghelmetdolphins.jpg

So the Dolphins are changing their baseball uniforms in 2013?

Gothamite, for what it's worth, I grew up a Mets fan thanks to my maternal Grandmother; herself an old Brooklyn Dodgers fan. She always said that she could tolerate the blue and orange; but always complained that the hat emblem was from "the damned Giants!"

An aside: She was a long-time baseball fan, who saw Ruth and Mays and DiMaggio and Gehrig and Robinson. It always "pained" her to admit that WIllie Mays was "the best player she ever saw, including Ruth" since he was a Giant. Yes, Ruth was her #2, and she'd always point out that Ruth was exponentially more popular than Mays.

When it comes to the Mets' home set, I love the pinstripes - since that's what I saw Seaver pitch in as a little kid, but I also love the bright white plain homes (sans cream color) - not only for your note above that it makes the orange and blue pop better, but I happen to love the blue piping on that set.

I've got three Mets jerseys in my collection - a Mom-put together replica of a Seaver road uniform; a Mookie Wilson pinstriped home jersey (from his coaching, not playing days), and a David Wright plain white home. Only issue I have with the last two is that the darn drop-shadow is on the Mets script. I might have to get one of the new blue alts (though I might have a hard time determining what player to use - Santana? Dickey? Wright again?).

Gotta get Santana, right? What a place in Mets history (and how glad I am he did it this year).

Im definitely getting a blue jersey, its such a beauty. Im leaning towards Wright, 5 is my favorite number and he;s the captain :D haha

True2OB.png

I disagree with the love Gothamite (and some others) have expressed for the older NY Giants logo. To me, it looks far too clumsy and amateurish. Maybe the version the Mets use it too "clean", but it's still effective and distinctive from the Yankees' logo.

I agree with this.

The NY the Mets use looks refined. The NY the Giants originally used looks sloppy.

Sloppy old logos have charm for some reason. But they're still sloppy.

As a lifelong Cardinals fan I don't love that they're dropping the Navy caps. However I think spicing up the roads could improve the set. Not sure I love the St. Louis design, it might work if you spelled out Saint Louis but that may seem a bit contrived. Personally I think that adding red piping to the greys, ala the 40's home jerseys, would improve the look. I love those jerseys and I love the current home whites, so why not morph those 40's homes with the current away greys to come up with a new away jersey. Something like this: (I am obviously not an artist and I did this in just a few minutes just to get an idea so take it for what its worth)

CardsRoadie_zps2d1acf28.jpg

I really hope they make tweaks or changes to the Twins. A a lifelong fan, I have grown tired of the primary homes. And the home blues! I wouldn't mind a switch to their Sunday alternates, or just a new home jersey that is consistent with their away uniforms.

Archived