2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2655144

"Team president Derrick Hall told the Arizona Republic that fans either loved or hated the the old purple and turquoise colors -- and it was the first change Major League Baseball suggested when it approached the team about a different look."

That's nice, but it doesn't in any way support the claim that MLB asked the Diamondbacks to change "due to the fact the Rockies were already purple and black."

It's far more plausible that baseball asked them to consider a color change since the old merchandise wasn't selling anymore.

That's most likely the reason. There's no way MLB calls the Dbacks and says "Hey, can you stop looking like the Rockies and, instead, look exactly like the Astros? Thanks!"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2655144

"Team president Derrick Hall told the Arizona Republic that fans either loved or hated the the old purple and turquoise colors -- and it was the first change Major League Baseball suggested when it approached the team about a different look."

That's nice, but it doesn't in any way support the claim that MLB asked the Diamondbacks to change "due to the fact the Rockies were already purple and black."

It's far more plausible that baseball asked them to consider a color change since the old merchandise wasn't selling anymore.

Yeah, I would doubt that the MLB would do that, especially when the Rockies look is so similar to the White Sox at home.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

In 1997 or 1998 Ken Griffey and the M's came to San Diego and both teams were wearing navy. You gotta love the mid-late 90's that started the Alternate trend we see today. Only the Yankees/Tigers/Dodgers don't have Alternates or an Alternate cap.

I believe the Yankees are the only team in the league to have never worn an alternate. Tigers did it in 1995, Dodgers in 1999, both looks were great but it got backlash so they got rid of them. Oh well.

bSLCtu2.png

Yes - they've had one-offs here and there, but no real alternate. No other team has managed to resist the temptation.

There was nothing "great" about this:

los-angeles-dodgers-alternate-royal-blue

Agreed.

Although it is plausible that a blue alternate jersey could have looked good for the Dodgers, but still wouldn't "work" because their primary home and road are so good, that an alternate is unneeded.

I'm surprised that was allowed. I thought baseball didn't let teams do color on color, unless they contrasted well.

MLB "recommended" that teams not wear similar-color alts about 3 years ago. Most teams comply. There are usually a couple or so instances per season where teams ignore it. CHW, SD, and ATL used to be the worst about ignoring it.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I am disappointed that the Pirates are going to stick with wearing their black jerseys so much in the playoffs. It's such a bad jersey, maybe the worst full-time alternate today. The monogram is bad, the front number placement is awful, and their numbers are horizontally compressed for some reason to account for the double outline. Also, they are worn with the most pointless alternate cap ever, and come at the expense of their regular home and road jerseys, which are both among the best in the game. The Pirates should put the home wordmark on a black jersey, with all characters in yellow with white outlines. Then wear them no more than twice a week.

Anyway, baseball brought back the stupid "postseason" patch caps, and they look as bad as last year. The font is too thin, and I think the colors change when the hat gets sweaty, so the "postseason" font is illegible except from a dead-on shot of the side of the hat. Also, they put "postseason" patches on the sleeves this year. It's really dumb. Patches for the World Series are understandable, but it's silly to have them for the regular playoffs. And "postseason" has no significance. That word isn't burned into our psyche. Fan colloquially call them the playoffs. Baseball needs to stop with that.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

maybe the worst full-time alternate today.

Ahem.

braves.jpg

I'd say that one is just as bad. But now that you bring them up, the Braves' cream alt is the worst alternate in the game. The navy one sucks, but at least it provides something to the identity, being that it's their only navy jersey. The cream alt takes off the Braves' powerful identifying mark just because and then is cream to be just different enough from the regular home jerseys. The Pirates going with the monogrammed black jersey is bad, but it's not as bad as that piece of crap cream Braves alt.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yes - they've had one-offs here and there, but no real alternate. No other team has managed to resist the temptation.

There was nothing "great" about this:

los-angeles-dodgers-alternate-royal-blue

It works as a Fashion Cap but not really on the field. I think the Dodgers could still use a blue alternate, similar to their BP jersey.

bSLCtu2.png

Ahem.

braves.jpg

I'd say that one is just as bad. But now that you bring them up, the Braves' cream alt is the worst alternate in the game. The navy one sucks, but at least it provides something to the identity, being that it's their only navy jersey. The cream alt takes off the Braves' powerful identifying mark just because and then is cream to be just different enough from the regular home jerseys. The Pirates going with the monogrammed black jersey is bad, but it's not as bad as that piece of crap cream Braves alt.

I think the cream jersey is kind of a "gateway" or a "transitional" jersey, and that they'll eventually drop the tomahawk and any other NA imagery from their set. The failed BP cap from last year kind of disproves that, but much like the Indians using the block C to phase out Wahoo, I think that's what's happening here as well (though admittedly the Braves haven't been under nearly as much fire as the Indians and Redskins.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the Braves' cream alternate more than their primary since I'm not a fan of the thick piping. The alt looks "cleaner" to me.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the Braves' cream alternate more than their primary since I'm not a fan of the thick piping. The alt looks "cleaner" to me.

Agreed. I've always despised that thick piping, and the Braves are not the only team that use it. The thinner style looks so much better.

Ahem.

Really?

x610.jpg

You're loco man, because those are beyond gorgeous.

Ahem.

Really?

x610.jpg

they do look good, but dont see any reason for them as opposed to their regular white homes

Ahem.

Really?

x610.jpg

they do look good, but dont see any reason for them as opposed to their regular white homes

They should be their regular homes. I always have thought that Tomahawk under the script on the regular whites is clunky and makes it all look off centered

Their regular homes are near top 5 in MLB. The alts as a primary would be roughly middle of the league. The tomahawk and piping make it great along with the cap, which when returned to the roads, makes the whole set one of the best, less the two color alts of course. I'd maybe like to see the tomahawk changed to navy just to break up some of the red on the jersey, but otherwise it's a much more beautiful uniform than the single piping, no tomahawk would be.

Archived