2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

In the Yahoo Baseball Blog article about this, the author falsely mentioned the "The Yankees, Dodgers, Cardinals, & Tigers had nver worn an alt before" fallacy. No one remembers the '96 Tigers, and everyone intentionally ignores the out-of-place Dodger Blue alt.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A71cLoCCEAED0eA.jpg

I'm so disappointed. Almost as bad as when Pujols left last year.

Hey also guys, if you've ever done a St. Louis birds on the bat concept, will you tweet at @CharlesSollars and inform him the Cardinals didn't steal his design?

Even though it looks like the guy's been twitter-pummeled, I let him know as well.

------

- It's a shame they're losing the blue hat. The red hats don't look as good with the road jersey. I never agreed with the annual spring-training love fest over the red hats and gray uniforms and I don't agree with this decision now.

- Baseball didn't need another creamy home uniform. Remember when the Astros wore cream as their road uniform in the 80's? That was dumb, right?

- The St. Louis script looks a lot a lot a lot better on the real thing than it has in concepts I've seen over the years (that's right years, Charles Sollars). There's now no reason it shouldn't be on the grays.

- Does this mean they're dropping the dumb sunday alternate hat? If so, that's one bonus of these uniform decisions

I look at this the same way I look at Atlanta's alternates. They're pointless and only mean they're going to wear less of a great uniform. Also, they've tanked their road uniform to an inferior look. Basically, the cards will look on the road and in their alternates the same way I feel about them.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's such a clusterpoop compared to the beauty and rigidity which they had. It's just sad to see them do this to their identity.

They add one jersey and re-designate a cap...really?

Edit: Plus they might've thrown out the BoB alt cap. Hmmm...

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I don't know if someone addressed this already but I noticed some posts from yesterday saying that they got rid of the chain stitching which is false. Dewitt said during the press conference that they just improved it to give it more texture and detail. If that was true it would have been a disaster so thank god it's not!

It's such a clusterpoop compared to the beauty and rigidity which they had. It's just sad to see them do this to their identity.

The Sunday cap is a great cap (and yes it's still there).

As long as they are keeping the alternate to a Saturday afternoon I think its good.

I also like the red caps on the road even though I might be in the minority on that one.

The only change I would make is putting the navy blue cap on the throwback jersey. The red caps didn't come in until the mid 60's, so to have a blue cap would actually be more authentic for a gashouse gang/WWII combo era throwback which is what they seem to be going for.

The Sunday cap is a great cap (and yes it's still there).

I don't know, I'd prefer the all-navy cap to that Sunday alternate one. The cardinal is too big, it's unnecessary, and I just generally dislike caps that are hard to discern from a distance. Also, three Cardinals (2 on bat, one on hat) on the uniform is a bit overboard. The general rule is once a certain design appear three times, it's too much, and the Cardinals are no exception.

As long as they are keeping the alternate to a Saturday afternoon I think its good.

I also like the red caps on the road even though I might be in the minority on that one.

The only change I would make is putting the navy blue cap on the throwback jersey. The red caps didn't come in until the mid 60's, so to have a blue cap would actually more authentic for a gashouse gang/WWII combo era throwback which is what they seem to be going for.

Great idea. Dark caps look great with off-white. Also, the excess of white on the red cap clashed with the cream. That would substantially compliment that jersey in my opinion.

For the whole "St Louis/birds on bat" problem, what I would have done was lessened the angle with which the bat appeared (closer to a horizontal line, but still angled slightly up and back) on ALL 3 jerseys. The "Cardinals/birds on bat" wordmark can handle it anyway since in the word "Cardinals", there's no tall letters like the "L" in St. Louis. It would have just been a little tweak. That's actually what I was hoping for when I heard the speculation that the "birds on bat" would be tweaked position-wise. This would have allowed the "L" to wrap around without looking elongated, plus performing the same tweak on all 3 jerseys would have created better continunity and consistency. Thoughts?

I don't know what they've tried, but I feel like I've seen everything tried, and I just think what they did is the only thing that really works.

It's still not perfect since the L overlaps instead of hangs, but it's the best of the options.

Well, what about making the angle of the bat steeper on all jerseys? That might be the best solution. And from the looks of it, the bat used to be steeper in the early Musial days.

They did used to have a steeper bat, but in order for the logo to not be too tall, you'll notice that the C didn't hook on the bat, the bat split right through the middle of it.

If you went with a steeper bat AND hooked the C (and the S) over the bat, you'll be looking at a tall logo and one with a large and awkward chunk of negative space in the middle.

Looking back over the pics, the birds might be a little too big IMO. They should've shrunk them down just a bit. Then they could've raised the whole logo up a little one the jersey and the numbers wouldn't look so low.

Also, on their website it said they'll be introducing a new BP cap (like everyone else of course) that is also expected to "reflect the franchise's storied history." Hmm. Wonder what that could mean.

I think the red cap looks alright with the cream alt. Several comments back I see people talking about how the navy cap would look better for the complete throwback vibe, but if anything I would think the BoB alt cap would convey that better. Navy crown and red bill screams Stan Musial era to me.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Here's some more notes.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/mozeliak-praises-new-look-discusses-roster/article_d77b632d-cbbf-570d-adde-713d3e87fdd8.html

• The team will wear red hats and red belts on the road, but the navy hats will not be retired. DeWitt said that the blue hats will continue to be worn at times on the road -- on Sundays, on getaway days, against teams that also have red hats. DeWitt said the exact times for the navy hat have not been determined.

•A new batting cap will also be revealed later. It is going to also have a retro feel with the interlocking STL.

• The birds on the bat have finer details in their stitching and now feature pupils and some depth. They also are a little bigger -- or plumper.

• The numbers on the front of the jersey are 1/2 inch smaller.

• There will be names on the back of the third jersey.

• The Sunday cap with the navy shell and solo bird will continue to be the hat the Cardinals wear at home on Sundays.

I'm not sure if the new "batting cap" is a batting practice cap or a batting hemet. Here's hoping it's a batting practice cap. If it's a batting helmet they're just further screwing around with a once simple identity.

The plans for the navy cap are also interesting. If they're going to be wearing them on get away days, on Sundays, and against teams that where red at home... might they not end up wearing them more than the red caps on the road?

This is so freaking dumb.

Here's some more notes.

http://www.stltoday....3d3e87fdd8.html

• The team will wear red hats and red belts on the road, but the navy hats will not be retired. DeWitt said that the blue hats will continue to be worn at times on the road -- on Sundays, on getaway days, against teams that also have red hats. DeWitt said the exact times for the navy hat have not been determined.

•A new batting cap will also be revealed later. It is going to also have a retro feel with the interlocking STL.

• The birds on the bat have finer details in their stitching and now feature pupils and some depth. They also are a little bigger -- or plumper.

• The numbers on the front of the jersey are 1/2 inch smaller.

• There will be names on the back of the third jersey.

• The Sunday cap with the navy shell and solo bird will continue to be the hat the Cardinals wear at home on Sundays.

I'm not sure if the new "batting cap" is a batting practice cap or a batting hemet. Here's hoping it's a batting practice cap. If it's a batting helmet they're just further screwing around with a once simple identity.

The plans for the navy cap are also interesting. If they're going to be wearing them on get away days, on Sundays, and against teams that where red at home... might they not end up wearing them more than the red caps on the road?

This is so freaking dumb.

It is the BP cap. Not just another helmet. I'm gonna guess maybe navy crown/red bill but with the red-only STL like back in the Musial days.

Or it could be something else, I don't know.

The new alternates look great, but this could have been better to a degree.

Why not 1) have a home alt with the off white and "Cardinals" across the chest, and 2) designate "St. Louis" for the road greys ...

What they did just seems illogical and backwards.

The new alternates look great, but this could have been better to a degree.

Why not 1) have a home alt with the off white and "Cardinals" across the chest, and 2) designate "St. Louis" for the road greys ...

What they did just seems illogical and backwards.

Why do people feel the need to repeat what numerous others have said as if they are the first ones to think of it?

For those arguing for a standard road gray "St. Louis" jersey right off the bat, put it in perspective. The Cards have one of the most conservative and traditional (from a baseball standpoint) fanbases in professional sports. From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense to reintroduce (sort of) a wordmark that hasn't been used in over seventy years on an alternate before immediately throwing it on the standard road jersey. That way they can gauge fans' (and players') reactions and either put it on the roadie next year if they like it, or just get rid of the alt if they don't.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Archived