2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate when teams make all their alternate looks be worn on the weekends. Now when the Cardinals have a home weekend series they'll be wearing their classic look only once. Why not make one of the jerseys be worn on Wednesdays or something?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

For those arguing for a standard road gray "St. Louis" jersey right off the bat, put it in perspective. The Cards have one of the most conservative and traditional (from a baseball standpoint) fanbases in professional sports. From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense to reintroduce (sort of) a wordmark that hasn't been used in over seventy years on an alternate before immediately throwing it on the standard road jersey. That way they can gauge fans' (and players') reactions and either put it on the roadie next year if they like it, or just get rid of the alt if they don't.

They wore pullovers and light blue road uniforms for almost two decades though. The fans have dealt with change before.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I hate when teams make all their alternate looks be worn on the weekends. Now when the Cardinals have a home weekend series they'll be wearing their classic look only once. Why not make one of the jerseys be worn on Wednesdays or something?

Marketing purposes.

Most fans get to the ballpark to watch a game on weekends, so it makes sense to wear them when most of the stadium is filled. Monday and Thursdays are mostly days off for teams, so that's out of the question. Wednesday's are usually getaway days, so that's usually a day game so that won't work either. So realistically, your only option for marketing on a non-weekend day is Tuesday and even sometimes that's hard because that might be a travel day is Monday if the end of a four-game set.

A team will always play during the weekend (Fri-Sun) so it makes sense to have them wear it then for the best chance of exposure

Go A's!

The new alternates look great, but this could have been better to a degree.

Why not 1) have a home alt with the off white and "Cardinals" across the chest, and 2) designate "St. Louis" for the road greys ...

What they did just seems illogical and backwards.

The only thing I can think of is 1) it gives fans incentive to come to the game and see the alternate uniforms. 2) Jersey sales. Cardinals fans don't buy away jerseys. You never see them wearing them.

The new alternates look great, but this could have been better to a degree.

Why not 1) have a home alt with the off white and "Cardinals" across the chest, and 2) designate "St. Louis" for the road greys ...

What they did just seems illogical and backwards.

The only thing I can think of is 1) it gives fans incentive to come to the game and see the alternate uniforms. 2) Jersey sales. Cardinals fans don't buy away jerseys. You never see them wearing them.

I'd say 2 is a pretty good argument for putting St. Louis on the roads. They'd sell a ton.

Cardinals fans probably don't buy the away jerseys because it's the exact same thing as the home shirt except worse. I would choose white over gray if I were a Cards fan (shudder at the thought) too.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's such a clusterpoop compared to the beauty and rigidity which they had. It's just sad to see them do this to their identity.

They add one jersey and re-designate a cap...really?

Edit: Plus they might've thrown out the BoB alt cap. Hmmm...

The Sunday cap is a great cap (and yes it's still there).

Regardless of how good of a cap it is (I'm a fan of it myself), it "cluttered" up their identity as much as the new changes will (read: not at all). Essentially, to say that a few new possible alt options only minorly different than the standard will muddle up their identity is a gross overstatement.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

It appears there WILL Be numbers on the front of these jerseys.

Also, you can see the shorter (thus bolder) numbers referenced before on the front. Although it almost appears that's only on the home and roads. Could be angles, could be a mistake, not sure.

A71WuR2CIAEnYCv.jpg

Something about that new uniform looks weak but I don't know what it is.

It appears there WILL Be numbers on the front of these jerseys.

Also, you can see the shorter (thus bolder) numbers referenced before on the front. Although it almost appears that's only on the home and roads. Could be angles, could be a mistake, not sure.

A71WuR2CIAEnYCv.jpg

Something about that new uniform looks weak but I don't know what it is.

The addition of piping and vintage white to a familiar (well, mostly familiar) jersey tends to have that effect.

This jersey feels wrong in so many ways, but at the same time, I can't help but like it.

I just wish they would keep the numbers the same. the standard MLB block is the perfect proportion for the front of a jersey.(though, I admit it could have standed to be a little thicker/condensed on the back of the jersey).

2043050vl19qK6.gif

i already miss the navy blue hats

I miss the officiality (made-up word?) of them being the road cap, but at least they're still there and it actually sounds like they'll be used quite a bit, with the designated uses probably happening quite frequently. Hopefully they'll end up just deciding to wear them on all road games. I may look at their schedule and try and estimate of percentage of road games will actually feature the navy cap. You can probably assume all road games against Cincinnati (which is a lot), Philly, Washington and probably Arizona. Also they play AT the Angels in interleague play. Not sure but they also may play Texas, so if they decided to wear their red alts.

EDIT: Actually, glancing quickly at their schedule, I can see possibly 12 out of their first 16 road games where they'd wear the navy caps; opening series at Arizona (unless they bust out the black one game, getaway day in San Fran as well as Pittsburgh, which is followed by a 4-gamer at Philly, though they'll probably wear their alt a game or two, and then down to Washington. So anywhere from 9-12 games in April alone.

I like that the Sunday cap will still be used on Sundays because I love how it looks with the home whites, but can't help but feel it'd be a better option for the Saturday alt than the red cap. And I think it should only be a one-day-a-week cap.

Cards fans are so snooty. Like Yankees fans who actually care/know about their team. It's hilarious to read you StL guys have a meltdown about adding a jersey and dropping a cap (but not really).

I think the St. Louis word mark is fine and should move to the road uniform once all the puritans chill out.

I think, for a community that does nothing but whine about navy blue, that more people would be happy to see the red caps on the road. I think the whole set is so much more vibrant now. It looks much more cardinal-esque (as in the bird) now.

Also, whoever chided someone for "using class as a noun" made me laugh.

Are there any other teams we can talk about?

Grunge-Logos.png

I understand that we can be a bit more critical when discussing our favourite teams, but the reactions that the Cardinals' tweaks to their identity constitute a "hot mess" and that they've "muddled their identity" seem like a gross overreaction. If anything by cutting down the amount of times they wear the navy StL cap they're streamlining their identity.

Ultimately I hope this is a "transitional phase" in the Cards' identity, with the end result being only one cap (the red one) and the St. Louis wordmark on the road.

according to the post dispatch, the cardinals were experimenting with powder blues and pinstripes for the alternate. also, th ecardinals batting practice cap will be retro

I think it's just a matter of time before several MLB teams revisit replacing away greys with blue again.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived