2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

When was that made the consensus? I'd vote the other way - it was a true alt, just one they ended up not wearing much. Just like Detriot's a couple years back.

It wasn't a true alt. It was the BP jersey. They made a special one-off jersey in the regular material for that game alone.

It was a regular jersey, in the regular material, that the team originally planned on wearing for special occasions during the season. How is that not an alternate? Sounds a lot like the '95 Tigers to me.

Look at the picture a few posts above yours. The doubleknit red jerseys had a "Cardinals Care MDA" patch on the sleeve for the Labor Day charity event they were holding. The jerseys were auctioned off for charity after the game. I have never heard any indications they were made to be worn as regular alternates.

I remember this whole discussion came up back in 2011. The points above were made, but the consensus was:

1. It was a one-off jersey, made for Labor Day. There was never any proof presented that the Cards intended it to be worn as an alt more than once. And Henderson has pics of the other MDA jerseys, all bearing the patch and mentioned to be one-offs.

2. The game jersey presented in all photographic instances proved it was a doubleknit game jersey, not a repurposed BP jersey.

3. The McGwire pic was of him wearing the 98-02 mesh BP jersey. It had nothing to do with the MDA promotion and it continues to be a source of confusion.

4. They were only worn once in a season, never intended to be worn more than once (no one could ever prove they were presented as multi-use alts, contrary to whatever someone swore they remembered). That made them no different than a Negro League night jersey or the Cervaceros Brewers jersey, or the Tampa Rays 70's jerseys. One-offs for some special event, not a regular-use alternate.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was that made the consensus? I'd vote the other way - it was a true alt, just one they ended up not wearing much. Just like Detriot's a couple years back.

It wasn't a true alt. It was the BP jersey. They made a special one-off jersey in the regular material for that game alone.

It was a regular jersey, in the regular material, that the team originally planned on wearing for special occasions during the season. How is that not an alternate? Sounds a lot like the '95 Tigers to me.

Look at the picture a few posts above yours. The doubleknit red jerseys had a "Cardinals Care MDA" patch on the sleeve for the Labor Day charity event they were holding. The jerseys were auctioned off for charity after the game. I have never heard any indications they were made to be worn as regular alternates.

I remember this whole discussion came up back in 2011. The points above were made, but the consensus was:

1. It was a one-off jersey, made for Labor Day. There was never any proof presented that the Cards intended it to be worn as an alt more than once. And Henderson has pics of the other MDA jerseys, all bearing the patch and mentioned to be one-offs.

2. The game jersey presented in all photographic instances proved it was a doubleknit game jersey, not a repurposed BP jersey.

3. The McGwire pic was of him wearing the 98-02 mesh BP jersey. It had nothing to do with the MDA promotion and it continues to be a source of confusion.

4. They were only worn once in a season, never intended to be worn more than once (no one could ever prove they were presented as multi-use alts, contrary to whatever someone swore they remembered). That made them no different than a Negro League night jersey or the Cervaceros Brewers jersey, or the Tampa Rays 70's jerseys. One-offs for some special event, not a regular-use alternate.

No the double-knits were the one-off non-BP jerseys and the mesh were the BP non-one-off jer... Wait, what were you say... No, it's gotta be your bull... wait...

My head hurts.

To clarify, this seems to be the most likely and most believed scenario.

1. There was a special one-game red jersey on Labor Day 1999. It was double-knit like a regular baseball jersey and featured a special Cardinals Care patch.

2. There was also a red mesh BP jersey of essentially the same design from about 1998 to the early or mid 2000s. These were never worn nor intended to be worn in a regulation game.

To clear up the confusion - the doubleknits were created to be worn once, for the charity event on Labor Day in 1999. However, they WERE identical to the batting practice jerseys which the Cardinals wore in the late '90s (other than the fabric, obviously). So, they made an official game-jersey version of the BP and wore it once, auctioning the jerseys for charity afterwards. I don't think that shows they intended to wear them as regular alternates.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Do the Cardinals use the same condensed block as the Mets for names? I have not noticed this before.

Looking at pictures of other jerseys, it doesn't appear so. I know some teams have used condensed block for players with longer names, but Thompson is only eight letters.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It looks thinner than what the Cubs use. Almost as if the stroke is inside the boundaries of a traditional block letter instead of around.

Could just be the optical illusion of the navy getting lost on the red, I dunno.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It looks thinner than what the Cubs use. Almost as if the stroke is inside the boundaries of a traditional block letter instead of around.

Could just be the optical illusion of the navy getting lost on the red, I dunno.

I don't have Henderson in front of me, but he goes into the differences in the name blocks. The Cubs use something he called "Majestic Block", since it is Majestic's stock block lettering. The Cards & Mets use a similar block, but I don't think it's identical. The Cards' & Mets' block lettering, if not the same, are siblings. Similar, but not the same.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

To clear up the confusion - the doubleknits were created to be worn once, for the charity event on Labor Day in 1999. However, they WERE identical to the batting practice jerseys which the Cardinals wore in the late '90s (other than the fabric, obviously). So, they made an official game-jersey version of the BP and wore it once, auctioning the jerseys for charity afterwards. I don't think that shows they intended to wear them as regular alternates.

I attended the Baseball Winter Meetings in 2000 to go to the PEBO job fair.. As part of the winter meetings there is a trade show that job fair attendees are granted admission. The Rawlings booth at the trade show had a rack of new jerseys teams were introducing that year, including a double knit (not mesh) red Cardinals jersey with navy piping which did not contain the MDA patch.

Apparently this was a jersey that Rawlings produced as a sample, but the team decided not to adopt.

I remember reading once a Cardinals executive saying they wouldn't have red alternates since people would think it's batting practice (because of the tradition of wearing white at home).

I was at that game in 1999. I thought the Cardinals would start wearing red jerseys more often in games, but it was just that one day.

I do like the new alternates though, but wish it would be the road jersey. I think it will after a few years of merchandise sales.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Love how the Cardinals finally gave a St.Louis BoB jersey, now if they put it on the road they'd be perfect. Could people please stop complaining about the L not looping around the bat? It doesn't make sense. Look at the S: the bat goes from in front of the S to behind it, and unless it was really distorted it could't come back in front of a flat script.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but I didn't see it in the thread.

Does anyone know if MLB has any special logos for Spring Training 2013? I found these from prior years.

cactus.league.2011.logo_.jpg

spring-training-cactus-league-2012-logo.jpg

The Mariners' PR Twitter account just released the M's ST schedule via a twitpic of the PDF. It had this logo at the bottom:

SEA_springlogo.jpg

Edit: Here's another instance from the M's Facebook page.

270108_10151273767228979_1190689972_n.jpg

Archived