2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'll take it over the black alts, this pretty much sums it up.

Along with the alt cap being crappy and unccessary, this will in all likelihood give us another instance of a team with mismatched caps and batting helmets. I doubt the Mets will pop for the extra set of batting helmets to be worn with those caps, so when the Mets wear them, you will only be able to tell in the top half of innings. Two different looks depending on if the team is batting or pitching. That's sloppy and inexcusable. Batting helmets are supposed to be nothing more than protective hats. They should look identical to the hats, and if the teams don't want to pay for extra helmets, they shouldn't wear alternate hats.

It's a fine fashion cap. Don't put it on the field.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

While I'll take it over the black alts, this pretty much sums it up.

Along with the alt cap being crappy and unccessary, this will in all likelihood give us another instance of a team with mismatched caps and batting helmets. I doubt the Mets will pop for the extra set of batting helmets to be worn with those caps, so when the Mets wear them, you will only be able to tell in the top half of innings. Two different looks depending on if the team is batting or pitching. That's sloppy and inexcusable. Batting helmets are supposed to be nothing more than protective hats. They should look identical to the hats, and if the teams don't want to pay for extra helmets, they shouldn't wear alternate hats.

It's a fine fashion cap. Don't put it on the field.

that's the thing though. the mets aren't going to be a one cap team, nor a two set jersey team. once you get familiar with their (and most team's) thinking on this, that much becomes obvious. so when viewed through that prism, a strong alt cap all in team colors, is a nice compromise.

sig2024.png

Indeed.

Just in case anyone thought that ditching the black indicated a general improvement in the team's management, still the same old Mets.

The addition of an alternate cap is hardly a way to gauge the performance of a team's management.

After thinking it over, I think that the alternate cap is a solid look. Going with an all-blue cap/white outline would have been like Pirates alternate cap, meaningless and unnecessary. The orange bill adds extra pop for the orange accents of the jersey. As long as they added nothing or went all the way, that's all that matters to me.

They didn't need the white outline OR orange bill. The primary cap is classic and goes with each jersey. It's one step above the Pirates alt cap only because of the orange bill. Though it too is unnecessary. They finally lined up all their jerseys to work with the one cap and then they go and mess with it all again. Not black-addition egregious, but not needed.

Speaking as someone who traditionally hates caps with different coloured bills, I think this Mets hat is as good as it gets. The white outline ads a touch of class to it that it wouldn't have with a plain orange logo. I may very well end up buying this thing, having no love for the Mets at all.

I like the new hat. But might it be the rumored "post-game press conference hat" and not an actual on-field hat?

I've never heard of such a thing.

It was mentioned at Uni Watch a while back (start of the ticker):

http://www.uni-watch...etball-uniform/

The very last sentence of the very first Uni Watch column, published in the Village Voice in 1999, was “Can the postgame interview cap be far behind?” Now a little birdie tells me that the Mets (and presumably all MLB teams) may have ” “locker room/interview cap” next season. Moral of the story: Be careful what you (rhetorically) ask for.

They didn't need the white outline OR orange bill. The primary cap is classic and goes with each jersey. It's one step above the Pirates alt cap only because of the orange bill. Though it too is unnecessary. They finally lined up all their jerseys to work with the one cap and then they go and mess with it all again. Not black-addition egregious, but not needed.

The Mets had 4 listed cap options 2 years ago. As of right now (don't know what the new BP caps will look like) they have 2 (both of which are miles ahead of the black cap options). The classic cap will be worn for every jersey (assumably) except the home-blue alternate. I think people can handle that. People don't hold the Mets uniforms up to scrutiny like they do for the Yankees.

What makes you say that? Since the start of the black jersey era, they've always had matching helmets for each cap...

I like the new hat. But might it be the rumored "post-game press conference hat" and not an actual on-field hat?

I've never heard of such a thing.

It was mentioned at Uni Watch a while back (start of the ticker):

http://www.uni-watch...etball-uniform/

The very last sentence of the very first Uni Watch column, published in the Village Voice in 1999, was “Can the postgame interview cap be far behind?” Now a little birdie tells me that the Mets (and presumably all MLB teams) may have ” “locker room/interview cap” next season. Moral of the story: Be careful what you (rhetorically) ask for.

i've looked into this and am plugged into a similar source. looks like it's a true on-field alt.

sig2024.png

Love the hat! (but then again, I have reason to be biased.)

I think it works because:

1. It does match the Mets uniform package well. It obviously matches the new home alternate but also the Mets script in the logo worn on all Mets jerseys. The white outline is no different than almost all caps in MLB. I have never head anyone say the white outline on the Red Sox cap fails to match up with their look.

2. Having just an orange bill would be too similar in my opinion to the current home cap. An alternate in my opinion should offer as much variation from the primary, while staying within the theme of the entire uniform set. This cap achieves that.

3. I think this cap works best with the snow white jerseys, rather than the blue alternate (although it would be fine with the blue alt as well). My complaint with the snow white jerseys is that it is barely an alternate, just elimination of pinstripes and addition of piping. My hope is: blue cap with pinstripes and all road combos. Orange bill with both home alternates.

Archived