2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One minor nitpick about the Brews' alt cap - it really bugs me that the glove's "webbing" is yellow.

8309612695_e670518455.jpg

In the originals, it was always white:

1985topps-rolliefingers.jpg

That's something vendors have been very sloppy about in recent years, sad to see it's infected New Era.

Ever since they brought back the ball in glove as an alternate, they've been reproducing the webbing as whatever background it's on. It's really weird.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I might be in the minority here but I'm really diggin the dodgers grey cap. I'm happy they didn't come out with a white bp cap again after all because I still own a white one from the 90's and the dodgers don't usually wear their blue spring training tops during spring training home games as shown in these two pics from last year

Matt+Kemp+Milwaukee+Brewers+v+Los+Angeles+XmvG4uBkyWXl.jpg

Matt+Kemp+Los+Angeles+Dodgers+v+Texas+Rangers+GhO77oc3VxWl.jpg

of the top of my head the only time I remember the dodgers using their bp jersey at home was the one the last spring training games of 2011 vs the Seattle Mariners at Dodger Stadium

brendan-ryan-dee-gordon-2011-3-30-23-30-32.jpg

all in all I think the grey cap and pants will look really sweet paired with the blue bp top. The only negative is the white striping on the jersey.

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

Will any teams have new bp jerseys this yr besides the Astros? I really wish they'd gone with a solid white word mark instead of the chest logo.

Also I just wish they went with old school style pullovers league wide. I think they'd look great especially with these new caps

One minor nitpick about the Brews' alt cap - it really bugs me that the glove's "webbing" is yellow.

That's something vendors have been very sloppy about in recent years, sad to see it's infected New Era.

Ever since they brought back the ball in glove as an alternate, they've been reproducing the webbing as whatever background it's on. It's really weird.

That's what I meant. Never on the caps, though.

pMLB2-3537517dt.jpg

That's what I meant. Never on the caps, though.

pMLB2-3537517dt.jpg

Now call me crazy here, but on that cap, I feel like the current shape of the logo is less rounded, and a bit thinner, than the original version. It might be the raised stitching causing an optical illusion, though.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Great idea to go out-of-the-box, but talk about bad execution. A lot of these look like mediocre concepts you'd see on these boards. Mascots on a cap should be a big no-no. The purpose of a cap logo is for it to be simple, easily legible, and to convey a team's identity. Can you imagine how such small details like the wishbone 'C' logo on the Reds mascot's chest will look from afar? If you want mascots to be a part of a uniform, put them on the sleeve. For the purpose of the BP jerseys, put them on the chest too. They don't work on the cap.

Good:

Angels: Not bad. I like the blue brim. I'm glad they now have a solid balance as a 80-20 Red-Blue team.

Astros: That's what I call creativity. Beautiful.

Braves: This is the one mascot logo that I like. I love the colors and the logo. I wish the PC Police would calm down. It's not a bad logo. The Indians logo on the other hand, is...not in terms of racism, but rather it just doesn't look good.

Brewers Primary & Alternate: Clean and fresh look with the primary + A nice throwback with the alternate. Very nice.

Cardinals: The subtraction of the white outline isn't bad for a BP look. Would have loved to seen a little more creativity. Let it pass.

Cubs: Red brim is a huge plus. Not a fan of the white 'C' however. It's passable.

Diamondbacks: Good. Nothing more to say I guess.

Dodgers. I love gray or white-crowned caps mostly. This one is no exception. I can see where people would hate it, but it's a nice change of pace.

Mariners: Love it. Would have loved to see a green cap like Lukas said.

Nationals: Probably the best of the multi-colored front-paneled caps.

Orioles: Still not a fan of the cartoon bird, but I love the orange front panel. The O's need a orange-crowned cap. They should own orange, and I don't know why they don't.

Phillies: Good.

Pirates: Good, but get the gold button on there Buccos.

Rays: Can't believe I actually like a cap with that awful logo on it. Good job making it work Rays.

Red Sox: It's good. Little creativity, but I actually think that should be their primary cap.

Rockies: Love the colors of the cap...don't really get the logo. At least it's different, so props for individuality.

Tigers Home: Good. It's a little off the wall for the Tigers, but hey...it's BP.

Twins: B-E-A-utiful.

White Sox: Good, but I would have rather seen a white-crowned cap.

Yankees: Why do I like it? Whyyy?

Bad:

Athletics: Gray? Hard to read from a distance logo? Both unnecessary.

Blue Jays: Major disappointment. With so many teams going with the white front-panel route, one of those with the updated Blue Jay logo would have been perfect. It would have been a modern interpretation of a classic, and as one member mentioned, much more marketable than a plain, boring, isolated maple leaf.

Giants: Good look, but there's no difference between it and the Sunday cap other than it being made of different material. Meh.

Indians: Block 'C' again? I'm not a fan of the red crown either. Indians identity is a mess.

Marlins: Probably my least favorite one. You're the new Marlins...you have so many options as far as colors go...other teams are taking the multi-colored panels route...and here you go with a white/black cap?!?!? How about a blue cap with a yellow brim? How about something unique to add to your brand? I keep thinking "White Sox" when I look at that mess of a cap. Pure garbage.

Mets: Mr. Met is a plus, but put it on the chest or sleeve.

Padres: Do I even need to explain why this cap is awful? Still no sand. Stupid innovation of a front-panel. Boring colors.

Rangers: It looks like the Texas flag was just placed over it. There's a whacky sense of depth going on too. I get how the depth goes to the right with the drop shadow and everything, but it just looks so unnecessary.

Reds: Same reason as all the other mascot-logoed caps.

Royals: Don't get the silver (should be gold). Hate that logo.

Tigers Road: I usually like gray-crowned caps, but this is one team where it just doesn't work. Borefest.

The Braves BP hat is terrible. He reminds me of a loud, drunk uncle.

lmao! Reminds me of the motorcycle gang from 'Weird Science'.

tmb_3712_480.jpg

Oh, great. Now I'll never be able to un-see that.

pMLB2-3537517dt.jpg

Now call me crazy here, but on that cap, I feel like the current shape of the logo is less rounded, and a bit thinner, than the original version. It might be the raised stitching causing an optical illusion, though.

I think it's exactly that, an illusion caused by the puff embroidery. The print version of the logo is exactly the same as it was in the late 1970s.

The gold currently appears a little darker than they used to make it, but I think that has more to do with sloppy color reproduction way back when.

Archived