2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

The Mets gave Travis d'Arnaud an upside down P as the lower case D:

screen-shot-2013-02-11-at-12-11-28-pm.png?w=664

Maybe this is a personal pet peeve, but it should be a capital D. Otherwise, why aren't R-N-A-U and the other D lowercase? These exceptions make no sense at all to me. If a letter that normally would be lowercase is uppercase in every other instance, why would the first letter be any different? Or the E in De ROSA, etc, etc.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea if the new BP caps will have the sizing inconsistencies that plague the game 59FIFTYs? I'm hoping that the new material might lead to a more standard fit.

These will likely have inconsistencies due to the fact they are made in China. These BPs appear to have the same oversized crowns the last three years' Stars & Stripes caps have had. I had to buy a full size down on all of those.

While I agree that the Chinese made caps are inferior to the US made ones in nearly every way, the location of where they're made has very little to do with the sizing inconsistencies. In fact, as someone who owns hundreds of caps and works at Lids, I even find the Chinese made caps to be more consistent in terms of sizing than the US made ones. The problem with the sizing is mostly to do with the fact that all of these caps are hand made.

Chinese-made...ugh! Where do we start? Main logos stitched crookedly and often too high on the front panels. Cavernous crowns that poke out hideously on both sides. Bills stitched unevenly to the crowns. Stiff, lower-quality material (at least it seems that way). These caps are so hard to break in, and 9 times out of 10 never do. It is nearly impossible to order one online because it is hard to determine which size to choose (I am a 7 1/2 U.S. made, 7 3/8 Chinese). Perhaps the "breathable" materials will be less stiff.

Why is it important for that d to be lower-case?

Teams have been known to do that for "non-traditional" lettering rather than just make them all uppercase...

381.jpg

I seem to remember that when Mark DeRosa was on the Cubs, he was DE ROSA on one jersey and de ROSA on another. Typical Cubs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I seem to remember that when Mark DeRosa was on the Cubs, he was DE ROSA on one jersey and de ROSA on another. Typical Cubs.

I remember when the Pirates had two Bautistas, Denny, and Jose, only one of them had an initial. Then when they had two LaRoches they just didn't bother.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Why is it important for that d to be lower-case?

umm because it's how you spell his name...

That just looks wrong. I know it's done out of necessity (there's no lower-case D in the lettering kit), but I'd rather they have used a capital D and kludge his name a little than be lazy like that.

worth noting that the pirates do the same with his brother's jersey as well.

I wonder what they'll end up doing when Matt den Dekker gets called up for real. This was spring training last season:

Matt-Den-Dekker.jpg

that's a really good point. i'm headed down in a week or so. when matt gets to camp, i'll see if it's still like that.

CubsFanBudMan brings up an interesting point. one that i never really thought about until he said it. some guys may just want the quirk. heck, some teams might see it as a marketing/merchandising opportunitiy (since a lowercase 'd' could make a jersey more unique).

sig2024.png

That Nats hat really makes me think of the Expos. I know the red and blue are swapped, but still...

I was thinking the same thing. You're the first person I have read that has made that conection as well ( I am sure someone else said it too). I really wished they would've have used the DC logo but that hat is still pretty nice.

slsig_zps2620f60c.jpg

I remember when the Pirates had two Bautistas, Denny, and Jose, only one of them had an initial. Then when they had two LaRoches they just didn't bother.

I don't think anyone bothers with the initials anymore. The Marlins had, what... 4 Sanchezes on their 40 man roster a couple of years ago, and didn't bother to differentiate between them. The 49ers had at least 3 Smiths, too. Still, no initials.

The Dodgers didn't give initials to Mark and AJ Ellis, and well, it's not to difficult to see who's wearing the protective gear behind the plate and who's not.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

I was checking out the Phillies' promotional schedule, and it looks like the D'Backs'll wear purple at least once this season during the Phillies' 90s night on August 23rd. The schedule says the D'Backs are wearing retro uniforms as well.

The phillies did this last year as well, its funny cause only for 2 years of the 90s (90 and 91) did they wear the burgundy uniforms.

TOTAL 1990’s Retro Night

Turning the clocks back to 1991 - the Phils' final season in burgundy pinstripes. A complete 90's flavor including characters, music and the always popular themed player headshots on Phanavision. Phillies and D'Backs players and coaches will wear retro uniforms from the 90's.

And DAMN Im goin to the august 24th game, so Im gonna miss it by one night,

The Diamond backs weren't even a thought back in '91. Kind of a silly opponent for that night. Also, the Diamond Backs "throwbacks" aren't really that dated.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

because the dodgers dont do alternate hats or have a retro hat i could wear (i wear a 5950 with a green underbill to have a different one somehow), i'll probably buy the road BP hat

http://mlblogsdodger...21213js062b.jpg

same for jerseys. i dont like to be the same as everyone else and the home jersey has been worn forever and it's so hard to find a different jersey like their old roads

my main choices are the current look pretty much

down side of a being a fan of a legendary franchise

i mean, even the tigers or a's or cards or phils fans or reds, etc could wear different stuff

It's also John Kruk figurine night (for all fans 14 and under, all of whom are probably unaware of who the Krukker is)

They might know him from Baseball Tonight.

(Glad to hear the D-backs are goin back to purple and teal, if only for one night)

PS, what happened to them wearing the 2001 jerseys to honor that World Series team? Weren't they supposed to do that either last season or the one before that? I don't remember them doing it.

90758391980.gif

Archived