2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Oh hey... Here's an idea. Let's wait until we actually get an official file? Trying to figure out if a logo is "fierce," "goofy," "amateur," or "happy" from blurry iPhone pics off secondary surfaces is kind of dumb. You can't even make out any of the details!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4. How can it just be swimming in front of the sun? Wouldn't it have to leap out of the water for it to ever be seen in front of it? The components of a logo don't always have to go together so literally, but in this case I'd say they do.

Not that I disagree with everything you're saying, but:

dolphin_silhuette.jpg\

If you view the logo as a dolphin underwater with the viewer below looking up towards the surface, it can make sense.

To me, in someways its more desirable to percieve your mascot in its natural environment (swimming in the ocean) vs. jumping in a show for our amusement.

You could also argue the reverse and say a entertainment/sport logo should be depicting it in a show vs. naturally but different strokes...

Oh hey... Here's an idea. Let's wait until we actually get an official file? Trying to figure out if a logo is "fierce," "goofy," "amateur," or "happy" from blurry iPhone pics off secondary surfaces is kind of dumb. You can't even make out any of the details!

Then why are you even on the internet? :P

Am I the only one who thinks the sun is an improvement? I spent my childhood thinking it was a hoop to jump through. This makes it a bit more evident that it is the sun.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The new one isn't bad, but it's really just unnecessary.

I consider it a downgrade for four main reasons.

1. It's too static. It's like the dolphin is in mid swim - a casual stroll, if you will. The other one was more dynamic, showing the dolphin's athletic ability (sorta kinda.)

2. The sun in the new one is overdone.

3. The dolphin should always be wearing his helmet, because of just because. It's just one of those cool cutsie things.

4. How can it just be swimming in front of the sun? Wouldn't it have to leap out of the water for it to ever be seen in front of it? The components of a logo don't always have to go together so literally, but in this case I'd say they do.

I think it is jumping in front of the sun or that is the way I see it.

I think the sun is too thin leaves too much white space but other than that the new sun looks good to me.

If you thicken up the sun the new logo would be a great modernization of the classic logo.

Am I the only one who thinks the sun is an improvement? I spent my childhood thinking it was a hoop to jump through. This makes it a bit more evident that it is the sun.

I think the new sun is an improvement. I just don't like that it doesn't have a helmet.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Another Florida team with just a crap logo. Still better than the Rays, Bolts, and Marlins.

Ranking FL sports logos, best to worst.

Bucs, Panthers, Jaguars, Dolphins, Bolts, Marlins, Rays.

Hard to put the Bolts ahead of the Marlins, but that Marlin logo is a disaster. The Bolts logo is just amatuer as hell.

2ly2w09.jpg

Is it verifiable that the circular thing in the Dolphins logo is in fact the sun? 'Cause again, for years I thought it represented this...

Indo_Dol_Circus_Flaming_Hoop_KateTomlinson.jpgcmk.jpg

And yeah, it wouldn't make sense for the dolphin to be across the entire diameter of a ring of fire or flaming hoop or whatever as it is now but hey, there are a lot of things that don't make sense.

As for goofy, fine, call some logos that if you want, but I miss these kinds of what I'd call playful logos that really got into what the mascot was supposed to be about and tied them into their sport.

Baltimore-Colts-Logo-Chris-Creamers-Sports-Logos-Page-SportsLogos.Net-Moz_2012-06-19_12-34.png

The whole "riiiight, as if a horse would wear a helmet and carry a football" factor was exactly what made them appealing.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The new one isn't bad, but it's really just unnecessary.

I consider it a downgrade for four main reasons.

1. It's too static. It's like the dolphin is in mid swim - a casual stroll, if you will. The other one was more dynamic, showing the dolphin's athletic ability (sorta kinda.)

2. The sun in the new one is overdone.

3. The dolphin should always be wearing his helmet, because of just because. It's just one of those cool cutsie things.

Well said. (I like that you said he should be wearing "his" helmet. Not "a" helmet, but his. EXACTLY! Bastards stole that boy's helmet.)

On 3/21/2013 at 9:40 AM, BlueSky said:

Is it verifiable that the circular thing in the Dolphins logo is in fact the sun? 'Cause again, for years I thought it represented this...

And yeah, it wouldn't make sense for the dolphin to be across the entire diameter of a ring of fire or flaming hoop or whatever as it is now but hey, there are a lot of things that don't make sense.

As for goofy, fine, call some logos that if you want, but I miss these kinds of what I'd call playful logos that really got into what the mascot was supposed to be about and tied them into their sport.

The whole "riiiight, as if a horse would wear a helmet and carry a football" factor was exactly what made them appealing.

But would you want that on the helmet?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Baltimore-Colts-Logo-Chris-Creamers-Sports-Logos-Page-SportsLogos.Net-Moz_2012-06-19_12-34.png

No, obviously if Indy wanted to put that logo on their helmet, the little guy's helmet would need to have a tiny "I" on it. :P

Indo_Dol_Circus_Flaming_Hoop_KateTomlinson.jpg

Hey look at that. His tail is pointed up.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not for the Colts because there's not much that would be better than the horseshoe. And my post was more of a general salute to what others call "goofy" logos. About the Dolphins, I have no problem with the helmet on or gone. On was cool but times change so if they want to refresh it, more power to them. Just one more thing for us old guys to be nostalgic about. ;-)

That actually brings to mind the real reason throwbacks work. There's a reason they're not worn any more (i.e. that the team changed the design) and at the time that happened the old look probably seemed tired and worn. But one thing that always made me laugh in men's magazines (Men's Health etc.) was the style trends. I subscribed to one mag for several years and saw them go from belittling and making fun of a certain look to touting it as "the" look a couple of years later. Unis are no different. Everything old is new again.

For example the Falcons' move away from their original unis probably didn't disappoint many people at the time but now the same people are like, "God those throwbacks are amazing."

That actually brings to mind the real reason throwbacks work. There's a reason they're not worn any more (i.e. that the team changed the design) and at the time that happened the old look probably seemed tired and worn. But one thing that always made me laugh in men's magazines (Men's Health etc.) was the style trends. I subscribed to one mag for several years and saw them go from belittling and making fun of a certain look to touting it as "the" look a couple of years later. Unis are no different. Everything old is new again.

For example the Falcons' move away from their original unis probably didn't disappoint many people at the time but now the same people are like, "God those throwbacks are amazing."

well said. nobody ever believes me when i say it though :/

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Me neither but isn't that the point of an internet board? :D

Have to agree as well every new fashion trend is usually just something that was done years ago with maybe a few tweeks.

It is all about branding I assume.

I will be very pleased if the Dolphin leaked this week is the logo but I would not be upset if they kept the helmet either.

Another Florida team with just a crap logo. Still better than the Rays, Bolts, and Marlins.

Ranking FL sports logos, best to worst.

Bolts, Rays, Jaguars, Bucs, Dolphins, Panthers, Marlins.

Hard to put the Bolts ahead of the Marlins, but that Marlin logo is a disaster. The Bolts logo is just amatuer as hell.

FYP

Wow. I've never seen that picture before, but it is making me rethink the logo now. That clearly looks like the inspiration - not a sun. It certainly explains why it's not colored in. I also never realized that a dolphin could be jumping with it's tail up.

It's still silly that it's jumping in front of the ring not through it. They could have slanted / ovalized / italicized the ring more to make it look closer to that picture (if that's what they were going for.)

From a purely aesthetic perspective, I still prefer the arched back and old sun and helmet, and think that they could have fixed that up rather than doing what they did.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow. I've never seen that picture before, but it is making me rethink the logo now. That clearly looks like the inspiration - not a sun. It certainly explains why it's not colored in. I also never realized that a dolphin could be jumping with it's tail up.

It's still silly that it's jumping in front of the ring not through it. They could have slanted / ovalized / italicized the ring more to make it look closer to that picture (if that's what they were going for.)

From a purely aesthetic perspective, I still prefer the arched back and old sun and helmet, and think that they could have fixed that up rather than doing what they did.

this is too funny as I always thought the orange ring was a ring of fire but the several years of consensus on this board that it represented the sun led me to believe that I was wrong.

given the era of the team's founding and the creation of the original logo I think a dolphin jumping through a ring of fire is once again the likely original intent

Archived