2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any more need for a keyline on a silver helmet than a white one.

carolina-panthers-authentic-pro-line-revolution-full-size-riddell-helmet.jpg

The white keyline disappears into the silver background. I can see the argument for the black keyline around this logo, but what does the white one really add?

You could actually make the argument that this older logo has, not only a white keyline, but a black keyline, and also a light blue keyline. Definate overkill. IMO, if you can do without a key line, you should. Like commas... "when in doubt, leave it out."

First of all, I think the Panthers' helmet is a mess to begin with (especially those damn stripes and their varying separation widths from player to player), but here's what I think about this outline issue:

The Panthers logo needs a white outline on the helmet. Professional teams use details like that that separate their helmets from cheap and sloppy helmets worn at lower levels. Imagine if the Patriots or the Raiders didn't have a white outline on their helmet logos. They'd look just as bad as the Panthers new logo on the silver helmets.

While it's tempting to say that the Bills and Jaguars aren't professional teams, they manage to get by without keylines. As do the Jets, Packers, Colts, Broncos and Dolphins. The Bengals and Rams have non-traditional logo applications, but they don't need to separate their design elements with a keyline either.

That's nearly a third of the league not using a keyline around their logo. Kind of shoots a hole in your assertion of what's a professional detail and what isn't.

Not at all. They don't "get by without keylines" because they all have them. The Bills, Jets, Colts, Dolphins, and unmentioned Titans use white keylines on their white background helmets. The keylines are actually there, you just can't see them. When the Bills logo was on a red helmet, it had the same white keyline. If you put any of those logos on a color background (silver included), they'd have a white keyline. The same is true of the Bears, Jaguars, and Broncos with their dark colored keylines on their matching dark color helmets. The Packers logo has a yellow keyline on all applications, and I'd argue that with the comparable widths and color distribution, the logo matches the braisher stripes so a white keyline around the green oval would actually be the wrong choice.

The Bengals and Rams don't have keylines, but the Bengals helmet graphics are based on actual tiger stripes, which don't have keylines in nature so they wouldn't make any sense there. It's true that the Rams don't have a keyline on their helmet horns, but they're basically grandfathered in. Note: The stripes and horns aren't actually logos and when both teams used their helmets as their logos, the helmets had full keylines around them. Also, both of these teams use primary logos that require keylines when placed on colored backgrounds.

Professional logos in the sports world use keylines to separate colors from the logo because it allows the logo to stand off the from the background.

I look at the Panthers helmets and I see this:

cindc5-618fkp89l1cmosh3d8d_layout.jpg

Sure, you can see the logo, but a white outline would pop that thing out and make the helmet look so much better, crisper, brighter, cleaner, etc.

or I think about a small company embroidering their crappy blue logo onto a black polo without an outline. (example)

The white keyline disappears into the silver background. I can see the argument for the black keyline around this logo, but what does the white one really add?

It's a small difference, but it goes a long way in helping the logo leap off the background.

I'll use the Lions as an example. Their helmets got better with the simple addition of a white outline to Bubbles the lion.

NFL_Lions_OLD3.gifNFL_Lions_OLD4.gif

The problem with the Panthers' logo update is that the light blue and the black are both the outermost color in different places on the logo. That's unusual in NFL logos and is probably a signal of a new trend in logo design. It also means that without a keyline both the black and light blue are right there touching the silver. A white outline would contain the blue and black together, keeping the logo neatly off the gray background while maintaining a clean look and avoiding the "spilled tooth paste" look the current logo has.

That said, it's a good update of the old logo which looks so dated right now. I just don't understand the decision to not use a keyline on any application, especially that logo in particular that's so desperately calling for one.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't mind the white but the second black clutters the look.

I never noticed the lack of a white keyline on the new Panthers helmet, but not I can't unsee it. I agree that it should have a white keyline, considering there is no consistent color on the outer edge of the logo.

Thats the first thing I noticed & the white outline to me makes the logo that much better but it could still use a few tweaks.

Be sure to check out #53 for the Bills. Nigel Bradham. He looks like he is straight up wearing the white topped socks from 2011...He is willing to pay a fine for the style we all believe in!!

Some other players like Mario Williams and Leodis Mckelvin are wearing white leggings that go over the blue top socks. That's probably a fine too. Dave Hojnowski is the equipment manager for the team...why can't they just pull out the right socks? Style guide be damned!!!

The Panthers logo doesn't need a keyline on silver, but it does on blue or black. Having the logo disappear into its surroundings like a waiting predator is too clever by more than half.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Panthers logo doesn't need a keyline on silver, but it does on blue or black. Having the logo disappear into its surroundings like a waiting predator is too clever by more than half.

Remember (I believe we've covered this here; if not, on my own blog), the Panthers do have a separate version of their primary mark for usage on Blue:

CarolinaPanthers_PMK01a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

CarolinaPanthers_PMK02a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

CarolinaPanthers_PMK03a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

CarolinaPanthers_PMK04a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

This is not a logo. It's a collection of free-floating shapes.

Actually, contrary to what you think, this is a logo and there is nothing you can do about it. And I realize some people can't think outside their own little world, but not every logo has to be connecting shapes. Free floating shapes can be a logo. I was told many times by multiple art, graphic design teachers, and many people in the buisness of graphic design, "You don't have to connect shapes, people are smart enough to finish a shape and know what it is."

Looks like no changes for the Browns next year:

http://espncleveland...17&post_id=8131

One of the most passionate topics debated by Browns fans of late is whether to change the uniforms. Your thoughts?

Banner: There’s no question there’s passion about this.

The franchise has been stale for so many years, is the timing right for a fresh, new look?

Banner: Here’s my unsatisfying answer: I don’t know. We have so many big questions at the moment that we have a real urgency to find out. We haven’t figured that out. I myself am a traditionalist about football and cities and uniforms, so I personally will never be in favor of anything that isn’t maybe subtle, and I don’t even know if I’m in favor of anything. And we would never do anything that we hadn’t done some extensive research on to make sure it would be well received. I’m very aware the question is out there and there’s passion about it.

The two things most visible about your team is how it plays and how it looks.

Banner: My answer doesn’t imply that I think it isn’t important.

When would you have to make a decision on a new look?

Banner: You’re probably at the point where nothing’s happening for next year. I don’t know the exact schedule. We did this (in Philadelphia), and it takes some lead time. (NIKE and the NFL) will provide a whole bunch of ideas, from subtle to something really radical, and you want to take the time to do the proper research. My sense is it would be really hard to do that for next year. You spend a lot of time feeling out ideas, giving input and then they have creative people that present concepts. I don’t think you can wait till March to start the process. I think by March you’ve got to essentially finish the process. I can’t even imagine (getting that done) because for the next three months that’s going to be the last thing on our mind.

70389454.png

Actually, contrary to what you think, this is a logo and there is nothing you can do about it. And I realize some people can't think outside their own little world, but not every logo has to be connecting shapes. Free floating shapes can be a logo. I was told many times by multiple art, graphic design teachers, and many people in the buisness of graphic design, "You don't have to connect shapes, people are smart enough to finish a shape and know what it is."

I agree that a logo does not have to connect in order to be a logo. Besides if someone cannot figure out at the very least this is some type of cat, then our education system is in worst shape than I thought.

spacer.png

I agree that a logo does not have to connect in order to be a logo. Besides if someone cannot figure out at the very least this is some type of cat, then our education system is in worst shape than I thought.

Up close like this no problem whatsoever in seeing what it is but unfortunately you can't see it that well in the stands or on the TV at times.

With the keyline it is very recognizable. And you do not have to have two different logos one for blue & one for black.

Archived