2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Jag is a term I use all the time to describe someone who is kinda an pretentious jerk. "Ignore hom, he's a jag..." So it's not just Pittsburgh.

I've never associated it with a shortened "jaguars" though. And I didn't when I saw this for the first time.

QFT

I get that the Brits know this is an America team and term, and that they would recognize it isn't the same thing. To reverse things, though, try asking a local here to go smoke a [can I use the British term here? - trying to make a point] fag -- and see how they react.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying it isn't true but who said the Jags can't use the patch overseas?

Clearly you haven't been following very closely.

The NFL is trying to promote the Jaguars in London, and there's even been talk of moving them there (probably won't happen).

"Jag" is a slang term in the UK, defined as "a bout of drinking or drug use." It's considered fairly obscene over there.

So, probably not a good idea to make your secondary logo offensive to the market you're trying to expand into.

On top of that CWx confirmed that the NFL style guide stipulates that the "JAG" shield logo isn't to be used in the UK.

Regardless of whether "Jags" is an appropriate nickname in the local region or in the United States (it is appropriate), you cannot deny how incredibly dumb Jacksonville has been with this rebrand.

I strongly dislike using the abbreviation for official brand communications. Nicknames are not self-given. They are determined by your fans or the media. It is fine to read an article in the New York Post entitled, "Yanks acquire new player." It's another thing if the Yanks started slapping the nickname on their chests. In the same way you don't introduce yourself to others by your "cutiepie" nickname your girlfriend gave you, the Jaguars should embrace the nickname but only communicate "Jaguars" themselves. Kudos for "Bolts", "Sens", "Jays", "D-Backs" (the worst one), etc.

On the other hand, the focus was on reinventing the image of the team while expanding the brand prescence into the United Kingdom. For this, you'd at least expect someone to run a quick Google search on the feasibility of the word Jags in your new brand territory. Admit it, it makes zero sense to introduce a new identity that completely does not mesh with where you want to expand to. The sad part is all of this can be solved by eliminating "Jags" from their brand portfolio and inserting their proper name. Think of it this way, you can ban the use of the Jags shield logo abroad, but that isn't going to stop them from seeing the patch in team pictures, painted on the field, or online.

Its just like using the term Bucs or Mets. I really don't see a problem with it.

I have no problem with the Jags abbreviation. I don't like it appearing on the official team uniform.

Mets isn't technically an abbreviation for the New York Mets. It's the official name of the team so it's fine if it appears on the uniforms. And Bucs doesn't appear anywhere on the uniform, as it should be.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well said aawagner011.

Its just like using the term Bucs or Mets. I really don't see a problem with it.

"Mets" is the official team name.

As for "Bucs," the Buccaneers don't slap that on their uniforms. It also isn't an undesirable slang term in a part of the world they want to market to.

I have no problem with the Jags abbreviation. I don't like it appearing on the official team uniform.

Mets isn't technically an abbreviation for the New York Mets. It's the official name of the team so it's fine if it appears on the uniforms. And Bucs doesn't appear anywhere on the uniform, as it should be.

There is "Wolves" (Timberwolves), "Sixers", "D-Backs", etc. on uniforms.

I am OK with Wolves and Sixers. "D-Backs" is incredibly stupid and I think "Jags" falls closer to that. Call 'em the "Jags" at the bar. Start a "Let's go Jags" chant at the game. But don't put it on the uniform.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I am OK with Wolves and Sixers. "D-Backs" is incredibly stupid and I think "Jags" falls closer to that. Call 'em the "Jags" at the bar. Start a "Let's go Jags" chant at the game. But don't put it on the uniform.

I already stated that I don't like Wolves (If you want to be called the Wolves then don't name yourself the Timberwolves) and I liked it better when the full name was on the uniforms. I think Sixers came out of the silly NBA rule that 76 couldn't be on the front of a uniform so there's nothing that can be done there.

I agree with Dbacks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I really hate nicknames or shortened names on uniforms. Let the terms evolve organically, but represent yourself with your formal name. I like the shield, but maybe they could have fit JAGUARS in there and still made it look ok in embroidered form. Also, it makes me think of a shortened form of the slang term "jagoff", which I never used but was widely used where I went to college in western PA. "Sig Ep? What a bunch of jags!"

I have never associated Jags with jagoff.

Plus, the Jaguars have always been called Jags for short. It's not the best but with a team that's not even 20 years old with not much history, why not? That's the whole point of a rebrand like this, going for something different. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, the shield fades away maybe

Count me in with BBTV and others who dislike the shortened nickname being used on the uni. It's similar to something else that's annoyed me through the years because it looks bush league - including the city name on say a helmet logo, like the old Tampa Bay Storm:

tampa_bay_storm_medium.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I already stated that I don't like Wolves (If you want to be called the Wolves then don't name yourself the Timberwolves) and I liked it better when the full name was on the uniforms. I think Sixers came out of the silly NBA rule that 76 couldn't be on the front of a uniform so there's nothing that can be done there.

I agree with Dbacks.

They could always do something like this:

SEVENTY

SIXERS

As far as the Jags nickname in the UK... I remember a lot of kids wearing Oregon State (Beavers), South Carolina (Cocks) and USC (Trojans) gear when I was in high school just because of the unintentional connotation of their nicknames.

I agree with Dbacks.

It's hard for me to put my finger on why I am OK with some. Maybe it's because "wolves" exist in a way that "bolts", "sens", and "d-backs" don't. As soon as they released the name (way back in the late 80s), I remember my dad and uncles saying "Timberwolves" is gonna look weird on the uniforms. Someone else suggested they'll do "Wolves" like "Sixers" and I was kinda on board. In any case, "Wolves" and "Sixers" are not as corny as "Bolts" and "Sens". I'll add that I like "Minnesota Timberwolves" better than "Minnesota Wolves", but "Wolves" looks much nicer on a jersey.

"T-Wolves", now that would be bad' "D-Backs" bad. We call 'em that, but it should not be "official" in any way.

We in Minnesota say "Vikes", but I don't want that on anything official, that's for sure. And as I was writing that I was thinking "the NFL is a bit more rigid about such things and would probably not allow 'Vikes'". But I guess I was wrong; assuming this "Jags" patch ends up on the uniform.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The NFL is trying to promote the Jaguars in London, and there's even been talk of moving them there (probably won't happen).

"Jag" is a slang term in the UK, defined as "a bout of drinking or drug use." It's considered fairly obscene over there.

So, probably not a good idea to make your secondary logo offensive to the market you're trying to expand into.

You didnt answer my question at all.

Ice-Cap did though.

On top of that CWx confirmed that the NFL style guide stipulates that the "JAG" shield logo isn't to be used in the UK.

Reading, it's a wonderful thing.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

ColorWerx indicated that the NFL specifies in the Style Guuide that the patch isn't to be used overseas. It says so in this thread.

It's where I sit.

Ice-Cap did though.

Reading, it's a wonderful thing.

I was talking directly to mbannon, Dingus. That reply was for his smart response that didn't actually have an answer in it. Probably why I quoted him only and didn't ask anyone else to please respond after.

Well said aawagner011.

"Mets" is the official team name.

As for "Bucs," the Buccaneers don't slap that on their uniforms. It also isn't an undesirable slang term in a part of the world they want to market to.

Jags isn't really that bad. I call them that all the time. Doesnt Cleveland have CAVS on one of their jerseys? Or the mavericks had MAVS, no?

Isn't Knicks just a shortened form of knickerbockers?

I was talking directly to mbannon, Dingus. That reply was for his smart response that didn't actually have an answer in it. Probably why I quoted him only and didn't ask anyone else to please respond after.

Oh, okay, so you were just trying to stir something up with mbannon, that's cool.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived