2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

This isn't my first time on a message board and I don't appreciate you attempting to dictate to me what the conversation will be based on your post count.

Oregon's derailed many a thread here. A plea to keep this NFL related isn't out of line. As for majority vs minority opinions, there's a reason why Seattle's new look is probably as close to Oregon (or any huge Nike NCAA re-branding) as you're going to get. Not only are most NFL teams going to be more conservative with their looks then most of Nike's pet projects in the NCAA, but NFL fans tend to be more conservative about uniform design then, say, your Washington State or BSU fan. I'm sure HGI would love to do something with rivets and a steel-textured helmet shell for the Steelers, but the Steelers faithful would burn down Heinz Field if that happened.

It's why Nike isn't going to outfit the Vikings in something Seattle-esque. Minnesota's a traditionally minded football market, and the last Reebok designed set is as progressive as the fanbase will allow, and they're already sick of them.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, I've read in multiple places that the Dolphins' unis will be rather conservative as compared to recent NFL uni changes. All we can do now is wait.

There are reports saying they are going to be plain and that scares me as their previous white uniforms were perfect. Stripes on the helmet and pants are a key component when doing white uniforms. Plain white pants look generic and boring.

Fans of Oregon's "Stormtrooper" uniforms would disagree with you.

They are a minority compared to the rest of the NCAA and NFL. The best all-white look the NCAA IMO is Auburn or Virginia Tech. Now can we please get back to the NFL on this page and not talk about Oregon? The rest of the forum members will be upset by us going off subject. Thanks. BTW, this was a beautiful look from the Dolphins.

I agree with you about the Dolphins. All-white is a great look, especially for them, but I'm hoping they're not gonna think that this whole "all-white" thing there going for will allow them to go overboard with white face masks, white socks, minimal stripe-age, etc. Part of the greatness of all-white, IMO, is the little blips of color that just pop against the crisp, white background. They shouldn't ruin that.

Isn't it odd how, while the Dolphins are transitioning to an all-white set, the Jags are moving towards an all-black theme? A monochromatic sign of the times, I suppose

I love monochrome when it is done right and I really hope the Jaguars set is a thing of beauty. Heck, I really hope the Jags turn their organization around completely as I hate seeing a team fail for long periods of time. By the way, I do have to admit that I am starting to love the new logo by the Jags...sometimes it takes time to see things better.

I agree on all accounts. Heck, I was one of the rare few who actually kinda liked last year's set only (and I mean ONLY) for the all-black and all-white looks they were rocking all over last year. I'm just hoping Nike will be able to clean up the work-of-spew Reebok dumped on us into said thing of beauty, though if the homes and aways are all-black and all-white, respectively, color me pleased.

And it did take me some weeks till I finally saw the new logo for the truly decent work (IMO) that it is.

Why does everyone hate gray? I love these forums, but it seems NFL opinions are dominated by traditionalists. Personally, I feel the nicest uniforms in all of football are Oregon's black/grey/CF helmet and their yellow/grey/CF helmet combos...they gray makes the black and yellow so much more prominent and provides a great base for those colors to work off of. Everything is subjective, I'm just surprised those with such strong opinions here aren't more progressive thinking with their uniform tastes.

Complaining about how people don't conform to your personal tastes won't endear you to anyone.

I'm not asking anyone to conform to my personal tastes, nor am I here to gain the endearment of people on the internet. I'm just stating that the overall outlook in this thread is close-minded in the name of "tradition", and that it's surprising to me. Which is, again, an opinion, and no one else has to agree with it, but as far as I know, I'm allowed to state it.

You're allowed to state it, but don't act shocked when people get defensive because you wrote off their tastes as "close-minded." No one is going to hold what you like against you here, but they will hold how you go about expressing it against you if you continue to talk down to people. You may not be looking to endear yourself to anyone here, but you will find people are going to easier to get along with if you don't insult their tastes in a backhanded manner.

See, I'm not close-minded about progressive designs. I love what the Patriots wear, for example. I would much rather see them in their current uniforms, or the rather progressive design they had just before the current one, then the Pat the Patriot throwback set. I think the Texans look rather sharp, and their design uses a few modern elements. I could go on, but trust me, I like modern when it's done right. My issue with Orgeon, Rutgers, Boise, and the like, as well the new Seahawks uniforms, is that they're modern done wrong. And just so that opinion isn't called "close-minded" I'll expand on it.

Nike's more progressive NCAA designs, as well as the Seahawks design (and possibly the Jags and Dolphins) aren't made to promote the teams that wear them. It used to be that suppliers and manufacturers like Nike created the best uniforms possible to promote the teams that the uniform were for. Now though? It's all about the suppliers at the expense of the teams. The new Oregon Ducks and Seattle Seahawks uniforms aren't about promoting University of Oregon football or the Seattle Seahawks. These uniforms are designed to use the teams as springboards to promote Nike. Oregon doesn't even wear school colours half the time, they wear colours consistent with Nike corporate branding. And the Seahawks? Their uniforms feature patches of colour on the sleeves that frame the Nike swoosh. I don't like these looks because I think they're symptoms of a much larger problem. That being manufacturers who design uniforms to promote themselves ahead of the team the uniforms are for. It's a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. As a fan of sports aesthetics I find this trend very troubling.

That goes back to my initial point - there is no "end all" or "be all" of uniform design, but there are respectful ways to say whether you like or dislike one, and traditionalists are pretty hard around here against anything "new".

So, just out of curiosity, are you being "respectful" in the "way to say whether you like or dislike" a design over in the new Viking uniform thread when you describe the wordmark as a "rotting porch on a new house" and make fun of the color scheme? Or maybe you're just kind of trolling for a bit of a fight?

That goes back to my initial point - there is no "end all" or "be all" of uniform design, but there are respectful ways to say whether you like or dislike one, and traditionalists are pretty hard around here against anything "new".

So, just out of curiosity, are you being "respectful" in the "way to say whether you like or dislike" a design over in the new Viking uniform thread when you describe the wordmark as a "rotting porch on a new house" and make fun of the color scheme? Or maybe you're just kind of trolling for a bit of a fight?

Exactly. He's complaining about "traditionalists" trashing "progressive" designs but he's quite happy to be "close-minded" when it comes to stuff he doesn't like.

Nike's more progressive NCAA designs, as well as the Seahawks design (and possibly the Jags and Dolphins) aren't made to promote the teams that wear them. It used to be that suppliers and manufacturers like Nike created the best uniforms possible to promote the teams that the uniform were for. Now though? It's all about the suppliers at the expense of the teams. The new Oregon Ducks and Seattle Seahawks uniforms aren't about promoting University of Oregon football or the Seattle Seahawks. These uniforms are designed to use the teams as springboards to promote Nike. Oregon doesn't even wear school colours half the time, they wear colours consistent with Nike corporate branding. And the Seahawks? Their uniforms feature patches of colour on the sleeves that frame the Nike swoosh. I don't like these looks because I think they're symptoms of a much larger problem. That being manufacturers who design uniforms to promote themselves ahead of the team the uniforms are for. It's a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. As a fan of sports aesthetics I find this trend very troubling.

This perfectly states the case that so many of us have with Nike. It really does feel like it's about them, not the client. And of course, they always can honestly say "the client approved all this, we work for them"... but I think it isn't hard to see how a client can be led. Tail wagging the dog... exactly.

I'm all for a "South Beach" look for the Phins (especially those colors!), though the rumored name across the butt sounds a little too "South Beach", don'tcha think?

S2vyCAi.jpg

I'd have to agree with you there. Somehow I can't see the players ( especially the linemen ) graciously accepting to wear the NFLs equivalent of those 'JUICY' sweats.

This perfectly states the case that so many of us have with Nike. It really does feel like it's about them, not the client. And of course, they always can honestly say "the client approved all this, we work for them"... but I think it isn't hard to see how a client can be led. Tail wagging the dog... exactly.

100% agree.

I'm just dreading the day when the we have an owner of lets say a 'Nike' or 'Pepsi' or 'McDonalds' owning a NFL franchise. The unis would be pure advertising. Probably never happen...but imagine the horror. :P

I'm all for a "South Beach" look for the Phins (especially those colors!), though the rumored name across the butt sounds a little too "South Beach", don'tcha think?

S2vyCAi.jpg

I'd have to agree with you there. Somehow I can't see the players ( especially the linemen ) graciously accepting to wear the NFLs equivalent of those 'JUICY' sweats.

Looks great on a cheerleader.

Awful on a uniform.

4899953350_ab00d1722a_o.jpg

I think I saw it over on the 'concepts' board...someone did a mock-up of the Jags helmet in it's original silver. That was a thing of beauty!!! The new logo really popped on the silver. That plus teal jerseys & white pants would look amazing.

...but, not exactly the 'military' direction the Jags seem to be headed.

S2vyCAi.jpg

Looks great on a cheerleader.

Awful on a uniform.

^ What he said!!!

100% agree.

I'm just dreading the day when the we have an owner of lets say a 'Nike' or 'Pepsi' or 'McDonalds' owning a NFL franchise. The unis would be pure advertising. Probably never happen...but imagine the horror. :P

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/1876/New_York_Red_Bulls/

As a die hard Dolphin fan, I'm really not looking for look in the new uniform. I don't care how nice the now old uniform was, because when I look at it, I think of a very miserable part of Dolphins history. I need change which is why I love the new logo so much. And for those of you who follow football, this is supposed to be the big year for the Dolphins, and we needed something to go along with that supposed transformation season.

Why does everyone hate gray? I love these forums, but it seems NFL opinions are dominated by traditionalists. Personally, I feel the nicest uniforms in all of football are Oregon's black/grey/CF helmet and their yellow/grey/CF helmet combos...they gray makes the black and yellow so much more prominent and provides a great base for those colors to work off of. Everything is subjective, I'm just surprised those with such strong opinions here aren't more progressive thinking with their uniform tastes.

Complaining about how people don't conform to your personal tastes won't endear you to anyone.

I'm not asking anyone to conform to my personal tastes, nor am I here to gain the endearment of people on the internet. I'm just stating that the overall outlook in this thread is close-minded in the name of "tradition", and that it's surprising to me. Which is, again, an opinion, and no one else has to agree with it, but as far as I know, I'm allowed to state it.

Back to my original question: why does everyone hate gray? Is there a specific reason or do those here just not like it in general? If so, that's fine, but that's what I was asking.

Yeah, not really. CCSLC isn't "dominated" by any one taste or design approach. As for your question about gray and the broader picture on traditionalism, here's my take FWIW.

I don't hate gray but I dislike it because it often looks like dirty white. When it doesn't, it still looks drab and drab colors usually don't make for an attractive uniform. Take the Giants for example. Some here love their gray pants while I think they looked much better in the '60s wearing essentially the same set but with white pants. The white pants make the uni numbers and white elements on the helmet pop. That adds far more to the overall look than gray does.

My issue with many modern uniforms is what I might call crazy for the sake of crazy. Frankly, I love it now and again if say Maryland comes out in those unis that look like something Alice might have seen in Wonderland. But teams should have a consistent identity. Oregon has actually made their identity the whole chameleon thing, the nutty "what will they look like this week?" Good for them. I don't care for it, but so what? If they did it a couple times a season and otherwise had a look that said "Oregon" I'd like it much better.

A non-sports example is airline logojets and retrojets. Say Alaska, most of their planes are easily identified because they all look the same. Then there's the Salmon Thirty-Salmon:

AS-Salmon30SalmonLg%5B1%5D.jpg

It's funny and catchy because it's the exception. If all their planes had some wacky something on them, it would lose some of the appeal.

In the NFL, I think the Broncos are awful. Not to say the Orange Crush unis are better, but I've seen several Denver concepts on these boards that blow away what they wear now and "feel" like they could be Broncos uniforms. Their current unis are like, "Wow, let's put a bunch of pointy stripes all over it." Yeah, they're orange and blue but that's about all they have in common with the team's heritage.

Things can be modernized while still paying homage to tradition. As another non-sports example, check out the opening credits for the recent reboot of Hawaii Five-O. Go to YouTube and watch the original '60s credits then the current ones, which are everything they should be for today's audience but have some of the things that made the originals great threaded through them. I'm not a fan of that show but I give them a lot of credit for, well, the credits. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

You're allowed to state it, but don't act shocked when people get defensive because you wrote off their tastes as "close-minded." No one is going to hold what you like against you here, but they will hold how you go about expressing it against you if you continue to talk down to people. You may not be looking to endear yourself to anyone here, but you will find people are going to easier to get along with if you don't insult their tastes in a backhanded manner.

See, I'm not close-minded about progressive designs. I love what the Patriots wear, for example. I would much rather see them in their current uniforms, or the rather progressive design they had just before the current one, then the Pat the Patriot throwback set. I think the Texans look rather sharp, and their design uses a few modern elements. I could go on, but trust me, I like modern when it's done right. My issue with Orgeon, Rutgers, Boise, and the like, as well the new Seahawks uniforms, is that they're modern done wrong. And just so that opinion isn't called "close-minded" I'll expand on it.

Nike's colors are orange, white, and black. If you've ever seen a box of Nike shoes, you would know this.

Yes, they used "Volt" twice with oregon, but with the broad range of the green-yellow spectrum Oregon's used over the years, you can argue that it definitely falls somewhere in between there. and I really liked the look which whether you're a fan or not, you can't deny it started a trend. (I will say this though, it worked for Oregon, but it was absolutely bad and unnecessary for Syracuse LAX)

But Oregon's current football uniforms? What about them is promoting Nike? It's not like adidas' basketball and soccer designs. If anything, i'd say Oregon is the one school that Nike does it's best work for. They have one, if not the, most unique looks in the country. Easily identiiable, with great graphics. Their white and yellow helmets are things of beauty, their stormtrooper look is amazing. The color shifting numbers are amazing, when they can use that on numbers and even their cleats, thats amazing.

Oregon, in my opiniion, is everything great that can come out of the technology that designers currently have at their expense. It's modern done right. The problem people should have with oregon/nike is that not every school/team is going to get that much time put in to their looks. When sublimated numbers and HGI helmets and uniform graphics are easily available but proper time research and effort aren't put into the designs, that's when everything starts going downhill and you get the Tulsas of the world. They are like, the kid that get's the cheap knockoff clothes to try to dress like the cool kid in school. It's just not gonna work out.

Oregon get's thrown into every thread because they are trendsetters. And until they stop being at the forefront of college football/sports design, they will continue to get thrown into every thread. If you like them great, but don't try to thrown them into a thread just to get a rise out of someone.. This goes for the traditionalists, as well. Don't call everyone who likes something that isnt stripes with block numerals "NIke Fanboys" either. But also realize that this is the nature of the boards, so people are entitled to their opinions.

Nike's colors are orange, white, and black. If you've ever seen a box of Nike shoes, you would know this.

I've seen Nike shoe boxes before, thanks. Apparently though you missed an entire line of Nike products that used not orange, but volt and grey.

sbra_zps9ff78c53.png

runningtop_zpsa36b2a6d.png

jacket_zpsa36168d7.png

bag_zpsf6409db7.png

images-5_zpsed7fbd6e.jpg

nike-total-air-pillar-grey-black-volt-01_zpse243b52c.jpg

nike-mogan-mid-2-se-sport-greyvolt-black-d4253bed1edc15259189d4458162b940_zps6a836b56.jpg

By ditching green and yellow for grey and volt Nike essentially turned Oregon into a football playing advertisement for one of their most eye-catching lines out there.

Oregon get's thrown into every thread because they are trendsetters.

And trends are fleeting while good taste is everlasting. Which I don't think will be a problem for Oregon actually, because I expect Nike to totally redesign everything from the ground up once trends change. Which is always the key to establishing a solid brand, right?

Don't call everyone who likes something that isnt stripes with block numerals "NIke Fanboys" either. But also realize that this is the nature of the boards, so people are entitled to their opinions.

I don't believe I ever derided anyone for their tastes or opinions, just how some (Volt) expressed them by talking down to others when he said a preference for traditional design was "close-minded." Between the guy who likes Oregon and me, HE was the one bashing others for different opinions.

Volt is their term for the color. That's why you have their images come up.

Bright colors (especially yellow) was a color trend last year and still a bit but its dying off. Nike just read the color trend reports like everyone else did 2 years ago. People don't see Nike doing bright yellow/green and then go out and make their own, its impossible. How do you think neon colors showed up at the same time in Urban Outfitters, Dicks Sporting Goods and even Victoria's Secret?

I've seen Nike shoe boxes before, thanks. Apparently though you missed an entire line of Nike products that used not orange, but volt and grey.

sbra_zps9ff78c53.png

runningtop_zpsa36b2a6d.png

jacket_zpsa36168d7.png

bag_zpsf6409db7.png

images-5_zpsed7fbd6e.jpg

nike-total-air-pillar-grey-black-volt-01_zpse243b52c.jpg

nike-mogan-mid-2-se-sport-greyvolt-black-d4253bed1edc15259189d4458162b940_zps6a836b56.jpg

By ditching green and yellow for grey and volt Nike essentially turned Oregon into a football playing advertisement for one of their most eye-catching lines out there.

Oregon get's thrown into every thread because they are trendsetters.

And trends are fleeting while good taste is everlasting. Which I don't think will be a problem for Oregon actually, because I expect Nike to totally redesign everything from the ground up once trends change. Which is always the key to establishing a solid brand, right?

Don't call everyone who likes something that isnt stripes with block numerals "NIke Fanboys" either. But also realize that this is the nature of the boards, so people are entitled to their opinions.

I don't believe I ever derided anyone for their tastes or opinions, just how some (Volt) expressed them by talking down to others when he said a preference for traditional design was "close-minded." Between the guy who likes Oregon and me, HE was the one bashing others for different opinions.

Well then next time say they use colors that bike uses on a product line or something closer to that because their corporate colors are orange and black.

Adidas has socks and basketball shoes and all kinds of products in the same color way. So would you say Oregon was a billboard for them as well??

And I never accused you of name calling, was just speaking in generalities because it does happen quite often.

Archived