2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Volt is their term for the color. That's why you have their images come up.

Bright colors (especially yellow) was a color trend last year and still a bit but its dying off. Nike just read the color trend reports like everyone else did 2 years ago. People don't see Nike doing bright yellow/green and then go out and make their own, its impossible. How do you think neon colors showed up at the same time in Urban Outfitters, Dicks Sporting Goods and even Victoria's Secret?

I did not realize that was their name for it so that makes sense.

However I do not see any other athletic uniform designer throwing in colors that are trendy other than Nike to teams uniforms.

Which is the problem I have with Nike & hope it does not enter the NFL.

I would hate to see Volt thrown in for no other reason than it is a trend.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That reason alone is why every team, let alone the Vikings, should avoid Volt. I like it as part of a shoe due to fashion trends in terms of personal likes. But we are talking about a professional sports team and they need not to go down the trendy route

Volt is their term for the color. That's why you have their images come up.

Bright colors (especially yellow) was a color trend last year and still a bit but its dying off. Nike just read the color trend reports like everyone else did 2 years ago. People don't see Nike doing bright yellow/green and then go out and make their own, its impossible. How do you think neon colors showed up at the same time in Urban Outfitters, Dicks Sporting Goods and even Victoria's Secret?

I did not realize that was their name for it so that makes sense.

However I do not see any other athletic uniform designer throwing in colors that are trendy other than Nike to teams uniforms.

Which is the problem I have with Nike & hope it does not enter the NFL.

Adidas and Under Armour have both attempted and failed ("neon" red with Louisville basketball in 2012 sticks out the most in my mind)

Also, Volt on Nike products isn't a "line." That makes absolutely no sense, especially since NSW, Nike Basketball, Nike Pro, etc lines were posted. It's a color. A color that Nike 'made' and everyone else ripped off.

Why is this even being discussed? There was never even a minuscule chance the Vikings (or any team for that matter, accessories excluded) were going to use Volt...?

Oregon doesn't have a strong brand? Yeah, okay.

That reason alone is why every team, let alone the Vikings, should avoid Volt. I like it as part of a shoe due to fashion trends in terms of personal likes. But we are talking about a professional sports team and they need not to go down the trendy route

But teal was also a trendy color in the 90's, and yes that's died out, obviously, but when teams go away from those colors we're stuck with "boring blue and red" or just colors that are commonly used.

I'm not saying the Vikings should use volt by any means, but just because its a trend first mean it won't look good.

I actually really like the the scheme that Oregon used it with. Not a primary, but just as are ally strong accent color

Well then next time say they use colors that bike uses on a product line or something closer to that because their corporate colors are orange and black.

I'm not even sure orange is a Nike corporate colour anymore. Their website is mostly white and grey, with black swooshes thrown in. Then again I'm getting the Canadian site by default. Maybe there's some orange on the American one (I have no idea). That said, yes, corporate branding was the wrong term to use.

Adidas has socks and basketball shoes and all kinds of products in the same color way. So would you say Oregon was a billboard for them as well??

What Adidas does or doesn't do is irrelevant because (sadly) we're talking about Oregon and Nike. Nike had a very visible line of volt and grey athletic gear, and they decided to dress their flagship NCAA football program up in those colours for the National Championship game while that line was in stores. It was a transparent ploy to use Oregon football to advertise that line.

And I never accused you of name calling, was just speaking in generalities because it does happen quite often.

My mistake then.

What I have noticed is Nike popularized neon and bright colors, it worked, and then Adidas as well as others, but most obvious Adidas, are seeing the success of Nike using those colors and using them themselves.

I think they popularized close to all the current trends. Matte helmets, sublimated numbers, neon, giant one sided logo helmets, glove palm graphics, etc.

3 things immediately jump out to me about the picture I posted:

The helmet looks like a Matte White, as there is NO light reflecting off of it.

The black facemask. The Chargers have NEVER worn a black facemask (Always been Navy or Gray).

The double outlined bolt. I'm pretty sure that is new as well.

For comparison, here are their current and their old AFL helmets:

K6Efy0m.jpgJyEYtqf.png

3 things immediately jump out to me about the picture I posted:

The helmet looks like a Matte White, as there is NO light reflecting off of it.

The black facemask. The Chargers have NEVER worn a black facemask (Always been Navy or Gray).

The double outlined bolt. I'm pretty sure that is new as well.

For comparison, here are their current and their old AFL helmets:

K6Efy0m.jpgJyEYtqf.png

Photography agencies notoriously use lighting effects and photoshopping to get their pictures looking how they'd like.

Editing reflection and glare seems to be a popular thing to do to soften or sharpen a photo.

I highly doubt you should be looking into this.

I'm pretty sure the facemask is navy.

The double-outline on the bolt is not different.

Annnnd, it wouldn't be hard to place some number decals on the helmet. It would add a personalized aspect to a baby picture.

Oh, and they've word yellow facemasks before, so it hasn't been just navy and gray.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

SPsMlXr.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, that's a new helmet design

Wait, you think the Chargers are adding a number to their helmet, and using the black throwback font numerals to do it?

I'm gonna say doubtful. Not impossible, I guess, but i'll believe it when it hits the field.

Maybe it's just a custom helmet just for the photo shoot? Maybe? I don't think they'll just let a leak out like that

First time poster...long time reader.

I wanted to put in my two cents about what I have "heard" about the Jaguars new uniforms/helmet. I live in Jacksonville and have a friend (I would not call them a source) who has various associations/connections with people who are in the know, and he/she gets various pieces of info from time to time. I spoke with him/her this past weekend and asked if he/she has heard anything about the new uniforms.

My friend says that they were told that the uniform "leaked" and shown on all over the internet (the one with the Jags crest on the left chest) was the closest mockup yet but not the one the Jags will be wearing...apparently there are some differences.

In regards to the helmet, my friend indicated that they spoke with a member within the organization (who didn't see the new equipment personally) who said another member of the organization had seen the new helmet and uniform and that they described that the black in the helmet was matte finish. I asked about the two tone coloring and my friend said they weren't sure. The person who actually saw the uniform and helmet were impressed and really liked them.

Take this FWIW. I am not an insider, source or someone in the know. Just a die-hard fan who loves the Jags and uniform design and finding out as much about the Jags as possible. I tried to protect the identity of my friend as best as possible, so I apologize if this post was wordy.

I will be as open and transparent as possible. I have pretty much told you everything I know and have heard. The people within the organization I described above could be anyone from employees, players, exectives, training or equipment staff. I would rather not say in this public forum, but I believe them to be credible.

@DirtyDuval Be wary that a man in your position is bound to draw comparisons to others who came on here as "first time posters" with "insider information" who were just full of it. (FresnoStAlum brings up a good example)

Since you're a Jags fan (in suppostion), I' gonna cut you some slack and just say that i hope you are right. Matte black helmets would sure beat chrome gold or two-tone (*gags*) and, even though we saw such a small portion, I sure hope that the leak wasn't accurate because of the cluster-cuss that was that patch-placement (why not the sleeves?!).

Tread with caution, DD.

First time poster...long time reader.

I wanted to put in my two cents about what I have "heard" about the Jaguars new uniforms/helmet. I live in Jacksonville and have a friend (I would not call them a source) who has various associations/connections with people who are in the know, and he/she gets various pieces of info from time to time. I spoke with him/her this past weekend and asked if he/she has heard anything about the new uniforms.

My friend says that they were told that the uniform "leaked" and shown on all over the internet (the one with the Jags crest on the left chest) was the closest mockup yet but not the one the Jags will be wearing...apparently there are some differences.

In regards to the helmet, my friend indicated that they spoke with a member within the organization (who didn't see the new equipment personally) who said another member of the organization had seen the new helmet and uniform and that they described that the black in the helmet was matte finish. I asked about the two tone coloring and my friend said they weren't sure. The person who actually saw the uniform and helmet were impressed and really liked them.

Take this FWIW. I am not an insider, source or someone in the know. Just a die-hard fan who loves the Jags and uniform design and finding out as much about the Jags as possible. I tried to protect the identity of my friend as best as possible, so I apologize if this post was wordy.

I will be as open and transparent as possible. I have pretty much told you everything I know and have heard. The people within the organization I described above could be anyone from employees, players, exectives, training or equipment staff. I would rather not say in this public forum, but I believe them to be credible.

There's another story within this story.

Archived