2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question: has any current nfl team that doesn't have grey in its color scheme maintained a grey facemask throughout its history until today? Because if not, I think the argument that it is part of the equipment is invalid.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't the Cardinals had grey facemasks their entire existence?

On the military issue, I'll just give my two cents and say that, as a local fan that has been to games, the military isn't completely out of left field. As has been said, there are some significant military bases in the Jax area, though, as someone else said, you can find military heritage in a lot of places of you dig for a bit. That being said, though, I know that I've never been to a game that wasn't preceded by a flyover done by active active members of the military who are introduced and honored later in the game after landing and making it back to the stadium. Not only that, but at every game, they put together a moment around the start of the fourth quarter where an active soldier is reunited with his unknowing family in the south endzone, as well as other sporadic bits along the lines of "veteran of the week" where fans are encouraged to cheer for highly decorated men who fought in Nam and such. Also, not only am i pretty sure that the team donates tickets (no jokes, please) to members of the military, but there is even a practice amongst some fans from around here of buying an extra set of season tickets to donate to the military, not too mention those things about donating to Wounded Warriors and such.

The gist is that the military themes aren't a complete surprise (at least to me) and that the team has been giving back to the troops for quite awhile. Be glad there not taking it completely overboard (the front name will need a bit of a look-at before I can tell).

But until they actually donate proceeds from the sale of military-"inspired" gear, as the Padres do, it's still more exploitation than tribute.

The Padres have shown how to do this in a way that's more than tasteless lip service. I hope the Jags will follow suit.

The Packers do a fair number of military events, and donate money to military causes, but they don't use the military to raise money. Seems a pretty clear line to me.

Well, you bring up a good point about using the military to make money, though I wouldn't say that what the Jags are doing (from what we know) is "using" the military considering it simply has "military-inspired" elements. If they used "jaguar-inspired" elements (like spots or something), then I'm sure no one would feel that they eye exploiting jaguars (though I guess its a bit of a false analogy considering that we hold the troops in a much different esteem than jaguars as animals. Oh, and cats don't care about money.)

But until they actually donate proceeds from the sale of military-"inspired" gear, as the Padres do, it's still more exploitation than tribute.

The Padres have shown how to do this in a way that's more than tasteless lip service. I hope the Jags will follow suit.

The Packers do a fair number of military events, and donate money to military causes, but they don't use the military to raise money. Seems a pretty clear line to me.

Since we are going to keep this going....How do the Jaguars specifically "use" the military to raise money? Just curious since you brought it up.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS436US436&q=Green+Bay+Packers+military+hat#q=Green+Bay+Packers+military+hat&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS436US436&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=wPNxUbSrJ5TA9gT53oHIBA&ved=0CAwQ_AUoAw&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45512109,d.eWU&fp=4bd4c49ccf6f73ea&biw=1366&bih=641

Talk to the team; the choice of words was theirs. We didn't make that up.

Since we are going to keep this going....How do the Jaguars specifically "use" the military to raise money?

They're going to be merchandizing uniforms that are "military-inspired". Seems pretty straightforward.

That's one of the reasons that the Padres donate proceeds from their military-inspired uniforms; it would be crass not to, capitalizing on the sacrifices of others, and the respect we all have for those sacrifices, to sell more polyester shirts.

Since we are going to keep this going....How do the Jaguars specifically "use" the military to raise money?

They're going to be merchandizing uniforms that are "military-inspired". Seems pretty straightforward.

That's one of the reasons that the Padres donate proceeds from their military-inspired uniforms; it would be crass not to, capitalizing on the sacrifices of others, and the respect we all have for those sacrifices, to sell more polyester shirts.

But the padres are more of a military tribute. They're camo.

The jags are still keeping their original color scheme, I don't think when the uniforms come out people are gonna be at dicks and say "oh man look at this, this an army football jersey? I want it!" to be honest I don't think it's gonna be anything more than the shield and the name that is reflective of the military.

And I say until any active or former military members find it offensive or exploitative, what they're doing is perfectly fine.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

You're making a valid argument, but I think you've gotta reel it back in a bit.

Honestly, I think it'll come down to how "military" the shirts will look. If people aren't buying the jerseys because of the military themes, then the exploitation bit isn't really in effect and it wouldn't make much sense that the money isn't going to the cause that those people are buying the shirt for (besides looking kewl): Supporting the franchise.

If these teases are just lies and unis really are just camo/stars-n-stripes explosions, than Khan has got some splainin' (and payin') to do.

Look, I'm as guilty as anybody of threadjacking to debate a point but really, just leave the whole military thing. Nobody's going to change anybody's mind. We all have our viewpoints and many of them make perfect sense even if they're counter to another view that makes sense too.

It's not up to any of us anyway to judge whether the Jags do enough for the military.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Look, I'm as guilty as anybody of threadjacking to debate a point but really, just leave the whole military thing. Nobody's going to change anybody's mind. We all have our viewpoints and many of them make perfect sense even if they're counter to another view that makes sense too.

It's not up to any of us anyway to judge whether the Jags do enough for the military.

+1

Why not? We criticized MLB when they introduced camo hats without donating proceeds to military charities (and then again when they announced they would donate an undefined "portion"). We did the same when the Padres first introduced theirs.

Why shouldn't we hold the Jags to the same standard?

So we have this right...it's Jags on the 23rd then Dolphins & Vikes on the 25th. Right? Is there anyone else known to be making major changes this season? Any potential for surprises?

I've might get an alternate or throwback....but yea those are the major ones. I can't remember if any teams announced that they were though.

Also it'll be interesting to see which, if any, of the teams that stuck with the old template will switch over. (Eagles, Packers, Raiders, Falcons, & Panthers)

Why not? We criticized MLB when they introduced camo hats without donating proceeds to military charities (and then again when they announced they would donate an undefined "portion"). We did the same when the Padres first introduced theirs.

Do what you want but it's pointless to debate it because with very few exceptions the posters here are about as open to changing their opinions as the Ayatollah.

Me included. :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

There definitely is a line, between tasteful homage & distastful exploitation, camo to me crosses it most of the time.

If they have gold and teal camo somewhere I think we will all be on the same page then, not only that it'll probably look awful, but that it crossed said line.

That said that's my line, everyone has their own on where the one ends and the other begins....and I don't think anything can be said to get people to change their mind so it's not really worth arguing about.

Know what youre talking bout before you spout off on a uniform/logo forum with nonsense. There is ZERO camo on the uniforms. The military tribute is just a patch and possibly the name on front. This whole military debate is way overblown.

FYI, the Khans have donated over a million dollars to Wounded Waarrior Project; honor soldiers abroad and those who have returned during every home game; and have started a tradition of having a vet ring a bell that leads into Metallicas "For Whom The Bell Tolls", to signify the start of the 4th quarter. They do plenty to honor our service folks without "exploiting" them.

Archived