2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm I late to the party on this, or is this a bit of news?

I actually noticed the new wordmark on the Pats website last week with some of the Hernandez news, but teams seem to have secondary or unofficial wordmarks on their websites all the time, so I didn't think anything of it.

Apparently it's an actual change, though. But it also wouldn't surprise me if this was discussed here months ago.

0ap1000000216087.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/n...new-bolder-logo

The little serifs are only on 6 of the 8 letters and the tails on the A and T just look out of place. And its a single color?!!? It looks like a font that Reebok used for every team name on sideline clothing or something.

iq5b7nF.png

As a Patriots fan, I'm not sure how i think of the new script. They've used the cursive my entire and I'm sad to see it go. At the same time, I want to know how they'll use the new script. Will it replace the old script on the uniforms or are they using both?

I'm I late to the party on this, or is this a bit of news?

I actually noticed the new wordmark on the Pats website last week with some of the Hernandez news, but teams seem to have secondary or unofficial wordmarks on their websites all the time, so I didn't think anything of it.

Apparently it's an actual change, though. But it also wouldn't surprise me if this was discussed here months ago.

0ap1000000216087.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/n...new-bolder-logo

Yeah, ColorWerx had the lettering and said their was a version which included the logo, but I don't remember seeing it before.

I dunno, I may be in the minority on this, but I think it's a minor upgrade, personally. Probably because I never much cared for the cursive wordmark... pretty cheesy, IMO. Also, after the "more is more" designs of the 90's and the 00's, I'm kind of encouraged to see a comeback of the single-color letter, like in the Vikings' new look. If you can pull it off, simple always tops complicated.

The single color wordmark has been on it's way back for over a decade now.

Modern Single Color Wordmarks

1997:

mvxsk3btmpewzxzovglilwc4w.gif

2002:

574.gif

998.gif

2003:

304.gif

2004:

2234.gif

2005:

4609.gif

2009:

wwdjkfegovzbmzsddf5ll2u3t.gif

2012:

pmvkqpkk6fcmgzshqgsnpg33d.gif

2013:

15999302013.gif

0ap1000000216087.jpg

I kept it pretty strict as single color (no outlines or drop-shadows), but it wouldn't be hard to re-write the qualifications just a bit to include the Ravens, Browns, the Jaguars 2009-12 word mark, the Dolphins, the Vikings, the Chargers.

Really, we've hit a point where more teams have a basic wordmark than don't. Only the Eagles, 49ers, Rams, and I guess the Bucs and Titans seem to have wordmarks that feel like a logo in and of themselves. And those last two are a stretch.

That's not meant to be presented as an opinion. Simple text can look great. Just interesting to see where things have trended.

The single color wordmark has been on it's way back for over a decade now.

Modern Single Color Wordmarks

1997:

mvxsk3btmpewzxzovglilwc4w.gif

2002:

574.gif

998.gif

2003:

304.gif

2004:

2234.gif

2005:

4609.gif

2009:

wwdjkfegovzbmzsddf5ll2u3t.gif

2012:

pmvkqpkk6fcmgzshqgsnpg33d.gif

2013:

15999302013.gif

0ap1000000216087.jpg

I kept it pretty strict as single color (no outlines or drop-shadows), but it wouldn't be hard to re-write the qualifications just a bit to include the Ravens, Browns, the Jaguars 2009-12 word mark, the Dolphins, the Vikings, the Chargers.

Really, we've hit a point where more teams have a basic wordmark than don't. Only the Eagles, 49ers, Rams, and I guess the Bucs and Titans seem to have wordmarks that feel like a logo in and of themselves. And those last two are a stretch.

That's not meant to be presented as an opinion. Simple text can look great. Just interesting to see where things have trended.

The Dolphins have a God awful plain word mark too for 2013!

The script logo really is so much better than the new one. It's 90s, but has so much more personality than block letters with spurs. The new wordmark is just so generic.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

According to an ESPNBoston article, the logo will only affect the endzone. It will not be anywhere on the uniforms.

That can't be right, can it? Are they just removing the old wordmark from under the collar, then? Because it would be crazy to leave it as-is.

According to an ESPNBoston article, the logo will only affect the endzone. It will not be anywhere on the uniforms.

That can't be right, can it? Are they just removing the old wordmark from under the collar, then? Because it would be crazy to leave it as-is.

Nope. Wordmark on jerseys are staying the same (old style), according to Colorwerx. He posted the details a few pages back. I thought it was a clusterfudge move by the Pats then, and that opinion hasn't changed.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived