2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

The Dolphins do look like knockoff versions of themselves, the teal is awful and the lack of orange kills it. The logo and even the helmet I can live with but the unis are awful, pretty much previous Jacksoville set bad in the genericness. This is a team with history that deserved a mix of modern and throwback like the Vikings.

The Dolphins don't use teal, nor have they ever. Just sayin'.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dolphins do look like knockoff versions of themselves, the teal is awful and the lack of orange kills it. The logo and even the helmet I can live with but the unis are awful, pretty much previous Jacksoville set bad in the genericness. This is a team with history that deserved a mix of modern and throwback like the Vikings.

I apologize, I meant cyan.

i didn't like the dolphins uniforms when they were unveiled. i did however love the logo...

seeing them in action tonight, my opinion changed. i loved the shade of aqua they used, and i thought they looked pretty great. that color really grabs you on tv, similar to the new bright green of the dallas stars and the orange of the philadelphia flyers. so bright that you almost can't pick up the shadows of the fabric.

Wow, maybe it's the lighting, but the new Dolphins uniforms look terrible. The teal looks washed out and you can't even see the orange trim up close.

That's because they :censored:ed up by including navy in the uniforms, along with a razor-thin orange outline. I saw that one coming a mile away.

An update of these uniforms with the new logo/font would have been nice:

They should have went to an update of those uniforms with a tweak of the previous logo and those exact same block numbers. The new logo is terrible and the new font is one of the worst things in the history of western civilization.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

This is a great look. Grey/matte silver is the unsung hero of modern uniform coloring.

No. No. It's a terrible look. Even more so for the Raiders, who have a classic, established look. And no, "matte silver" looks like crap in place of real silver and is not an unsung hero. It's just Nike leaving its mark by :censored:ing up teams' looks for no apparent reason.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm agreeing with the angry mobs...the Dolphins' new uniforms are an atrocity. They've taken one of the classic, historic franchises in the NFL ('72 Dolphins!) and turned them into an embarrassment visually. Previously, the only thing embarrassing about the team was the lack of talent...they didn't look bad. Now, hideous. They look like an arena or college team that gets a new design every year. The logo is a massive downgrade that looks like an obese dolphin, or a killer whale. They've completely eliminated a main color of the team in orange. Unless you're on this site and know about the microscopic orange trim and outlines, you're only seeing orange in the sun on the helmet.

I hate when a classic team gets modernized, but even if this were an expansion team, this look would still be ugly.

Between the Cowboys' mess of a color palette and the Dolphins last night, that game was a puke-worthy sight.

87Redskins.png

Interesting bit in this FastCompany article on Nike's redesign of the NFL:

"Nike is now working with more franchises that are considering changes, including the Cleveland Browns, one of the league's oldest teams--and, with those unadorned orange helmets, also one of its most visually staid."

http://www.fastcompany.com/3014815/inside-nikes-redesign-of-nfl-uniforms

Welllll...

They've never call it that, but they've used a color that is more or less indistinguishable from teal, up to last season. This is why I believe ColorWerx would say that such terms are useless. To borrow his graphics, here's the Dolphins color palette from last year.

MiamiDolphins_FRC_2012_SCC_SRGB_zps27367

Not a lot of difference between that and a color we all recognize as "teal".

JacksonvilleJaguars_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB_zp

They're both greenish-blues of approximate hue.

Contrast with the new shade, which is much brighter.

MiamiDolphins_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB_zpsbc744

Huge upgrade, by the way.

I agree with many/most of the criticisms of the Dolphins, but minimizing (or eliminating) the navy and substantially increasing the orange would make them acceptable to me. Still not crazy about the logo but holding out for the possibility it will grow on me. Regardless, the previous logo will always be among my favorites in NFL history, and it saddens me to see it gone. Maybe, someday, someone in a position of authority within the organization will revert them back to a version of the old one. Same thing for the baseball team that plays in that city.

"Nike is now working with more franchises that are considering changes, including the Cleveland Browns, one of the league's oldest teams--and, with those unadorned orange helmets, also one of its most visually staid."

I might be crucified for this, but I love the Browns look.

If the Browns decide to slap a logo on that helmet, it will be hugely popular, kinda along the lines of this:

14825448.jpg

While we're at it, a modernization of the Mona Lisa is way overdue:

Mona-Lisa-Duckface-1.jpg

Not by me. If the Browns decide to slap a logo on that helmet, it will be hugely popular, kinda along the lines of this:

14825448.jpg

While we're at it, let's draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa, just to give it an upgrade. Change is always good.

Well, not always good, but I understand your point.

I understand the dilemma with the Browns, no logo on the helmet and all.

And I've seen some interesting ones in Google images so I know it can be done.

I guess there's just something cool about an NFL team stubbornly sticking to something different.

If the Browns decide to slap a logo on that helmet, it will be hugely popular, kinda along the lines of this:

14825448.jpg

While we're at it, a modernization of the Mona Lisa is way overdue:

Mona-Lisa-Duckface-1.jpg

I'm glad we're keeping things in perspective.

As a long time Browns fan I would like to see the helmet remain the same (except add a white facemask) and the return of the orange pants and I would be fine. I have said in the past that I would like to see the Browns in a modern uniform, but after seeing all the horrible modern designs in college football and the Jacksonville Jaguars I am fine with their uniform the way it currently looks.

spacer.png

Archived