seahawk9

2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

So, apparently this concussion thing has gotten so ridiculous that teams are no longer allowed to wear throwback uniforms because the NFL wants players to wear the same helmets all season long. WTF?

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Game-Theme-Change-vs-Arizona/71f32a26-422f-4fc4-8b2c-c612911ab3f8

They should just change their shade of orange and have creamsicle alternate jerseys.

So, apparently this concussion thing has gotten so ridiculous that teams are no longer allowed to wear throwback uniforms because the NFL wants players to wear the same helmets all season long. WTF?

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-1/Game-Theme-Change-vs-Arizona/71f32a26-422f-4fc4-8b2c-c612911ab3f8

I'm gonna be out of town for this game, now I'm glad since they are doing the stupid putting signs and :censored: in Spanish thing.

I only wish they'd stop the whole month of pink too.

This league is becoming a joke anyways, you can't hit anymore. I have no idea how a player is supposed to stop and change directions in mid air.

Goodell is ruining this league, not making it safer. It's a physical sport, it will never be guaranteed to be 100% safe. Stop trying Rog.

You must have never played the sport at a high level otherwise you'd understand how vicious the hits have become. Go back and watch both of the Meriweather knock out shots (Lacy and self) in slo mo. Their heads and necks mimic the motion of crash test dummies. You have 200-300 lb grown men out there with over developed bodies putting more and more stress on the biological strength of the skull and brain which has not evolved. Goodell isn't trying to ruin the game, he's trying to protect a multi-billion $ business from losing the message of public opinion, future lawsuits, and a changing culture that is turning away from youth participation.

Funny how Joe Schmo loves to say how the game is becoming pussified when this is the reality:

• Players are exponentially bigger and faster (training and PEDs) that can cover more ground, generate more force and thus deliver harder blows than ever before.
  • Modern Helmets are used as weapons. All "innovation" does is incentivize players to lead with their heads even more. Players are weaponizing their helmets even more by doing modifications like using kevlar reinforcement.
  • Shoulder pads make it even worse as players no longer share some of the brunt of delivering a blow.
  • These hits are nearly impossible to officiate as they happen much too fast on the field of play.
  • There's no rule requiring wrap/arms out tackling or against launching yourself.
  • Unlike the rest of players' bodies, the human brain has not evolved in terms of physical strength or increased protection. Helmet technology is not keeping up with the force of hits.
  • Some of the worst effects come hours or days after the actual event which can make the circumstances even worse.

So for all you Macho Men out there time to shut up and stop being ignorant of the risks of modern adult football but the game is starting to literally kill itself. Funny how things come full circle as there were calls to outlaw the vicious game of American Football due to the amount of severe injuries and even on field deaths in the early 20th century.

Funny how things come full circle.

And in the 1940s, plastic helmets were banned because they encouraged more aggressive play and players could more easily injure others with them.

The NFL got it right the first time.

I've been saying it for years - the only solution is to eliminate helmets altogether. Safer for players, and better for fans.

Or at the very least, reduce them to something akin to a rugby scrum cap.

That would be interesting. Or, if we went in the other direction, helmets should be soft on the inside and the outside. It's all spreading out the force of impact over a longer period of time, and having football helmets be rock hard on the outside makes no sense in that regard.

Edit: Also, the timing of this ruling is really weird. The Bills wore their throwback helmets this week. Now the Bucs cannot wear theirs two weeks later?

The Bills used their normal helmets and changed the decals. The Bears took the decals off their helmets (and changed the facemasks).

If the rule is true and not just the Bucs lying to be cheap or something, here's the teams it will impact:

Redskins

Dallas

Green Bay

Atlanta

New Enlgand

Is there evidence that wearing a different helmet for one game in a season has caused additional concussions?

I know it's probably just a liability thing. The more helmets you wear the more helmets insurance has to cover or something like that.

But I can't help but think of Oregon and every other college team wearing multiple helmets. This could be the start of the end of that trend.

This rule is garbage. Bills weren't using the same helmet. Remember, the current Bills helmet has an expanding helmet strop from front to back. The Bears had a grey facemask too.

But I can't help but think of Oregon and every other college team wearing multiple helmets. This could be the start of the end of that trend.

That would be a good thing.

The whole uniform and multiple helmet thing has gotten WAY out-of-hand in division 1 college ball.

Pick ONE helmet and go with it. Probably saves some money too. Having 4 or 5 sets of helmets for 85 football players isn't cheap.

And reducing the whole "throwback" deal isn't a bad thing either. We don't care about what ugly-ass uniforms the Steelers wore 100 years ago. Honor your past in other ways. No need to waste 2 games out of 16 on a likely factually inaccurate throwemback uniform.

This rule is garbage. Bills weren't using the same helmet. Remember, the current Bills helmet has an expanding helmet strop from front to back. The Bears had a grey facemask too.

The Bills took off their decals (which includes the stripes). The Bears took off their decals and changed their facemasks.

...And just on que, the bergan clown car rolls into the station.

You do know that the stripes and facemasks are fairly easy to remove, right?

Of course the Bears and Bills are wearing their regular helmets with the throwback uniforms. Do you honestly think those teams would supply the entire team with a completely new set of identically colored shells because they can't be bothered to change the decalsa and/or masks?

Edit... Roman beat me by seconds!

This rule makes absolutely no sense. What exactly is the problem with wearing a throwback helmet when it's exactly the same technology? Wouldn't it actually be safer not to use the same shells all year because then they're not exposed to as much wear and tear?

This rule makes absolutely no sense. What exactly is the problem with wearing a throwback helmet when it's exactly the same technology? Wouldn't it actually be safer not to use the same shells all year because then they're not exposed to as much wear and tear?

If I'm not mistaken they're taken apart, polished, put back together every week anyway, so it's essentially a new helmet.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's just a load of bull :censored: if you ask me.

The justification I have read is that the helmets have to be "broken in," and the players start breaking in their helmets in the spring, then wear them through training camp before ever getting to a game. We have seen instances of players wearing throwback helmets in practice a few weeks before a throwback game so they could break them in before the game. But what exactly is broken in? They aren't actually reshaping the shell. All that would be broken in would be the padding. So why don't they just take the "broken in" padding out of the normal helmets and put them in the throwback ones?

The Bills took off their decals (which includes the stripes). The Bears took off their decals and changed their facemasks.

No need to be an ass about it.

Even if the Bears and Bills evaded this "rule," it still doesn't make it right. There hasn't been a problem with wearing throwbacks since the 90's, and now the NFL wants to put a stop to it for some reason? Get out of here. This along with the apparent Anti-Celebration stance they're taking, and the Pro Bowl changes has me questioning just what the hell the NFL will be like in 5-10 years.

Even if the Bears and Bills evaded this "rule," it still doesn't make it right. There hasn't been a problem with wearing throwbacks since the 90's, and now the NFL wants to put a stop to it for some reason? Get out of here. This along with the apparent Anti-Celebration stance they're taking, and the Pro Bowl changes has me questioning just what the hell the NFL will be like in 5-10 years.

The problem is that NFL players are getting serious long term brain damage from repeated hits to the head. As much as I will miss any throwbacks that use a different colored helmet, so be it.

There hasn't been a problem with wearing throwbacks since the 90's,

We don't know that.

The problem is not concussions, no matter what the league (and its lazy media partners) would like you to believe. It's the repeated small hits, every time a player's helmet knocks against another player's helmet or his shoulders or the turf or anything else. That's what has been tied to CTE, and that's the real threat to players and the sport.

The handwringing over "Concussions" is a clever piece of stagecraft, perfectly suited for avoiding the real topic. Every time you hear the league talk about concussions, quick look to see what their other hand is doing. Because as long as they have you thinking concussions are the problem their misdirection is working. After all, we can reduce the effect of concussions with better technology. But eliminating those tiny little hits, the ones that have been linked to CTE, that will require actually improving the sport. Which is hard and risky. Much better to make us think that concussions are the real threat.

The jets threw back with their greens...and I'm sure there were other instances that decals were removed replaced etc to use one helmet the whole year, now whether there is a study showing that these suggestions are true who knows but yes the throwbacks have gotten out of hand thank goodness I'm a texans fan nothing to throw back to. Also the jags next home should be Sam Antonio...remember how supportive of the saints they were also getting really good crowds for UTSA games. Texas loves football San Antonio loves the cowboys and football so give them the jags. LA loves themselves not football no reason to go back where others have failed. San Antonio riders

Regarding the attendance topic...

So this relatively new bar-code scanning at the gates (in place of simply tearing the ticket stubs) has no use but to state whether or not the person has already entered the stadium, or the ticket has already been spent?

Then why even use the technology? Tearing the stubs could tell someone that.

I would think the bar-code scanning at gates is used to account for the number of people entering the game (actual attendance, as opposed to tickets distributed).

Now I'm not saying this is the figure they use for their publicly released attendance records, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The technology has several purposes.

1. so that they can reconcile the number of people that went through (i.e."clicked") a particular turnstyle against the number of tickets that the employee manning that turnstyle actually scanned. Since the scanners have their own independant counters and are programmed for a certain turnstyle, and (at least when I have worked at a gate) the numbers are recorded during shift changes, it ensures that employees aren't accepting c-notes as "tickets" and letting people pass through. Counting stubs is not practical and never was. Hell - just holding on to the stubs can be a challenge during bad weather (or even good weather.)

2. It validates that it's a real ticket and not counterfeit, something that's very hard to do by eye, especially when you have a line of thousands of people pushing to get in and you can't exactly inspect each ticket up and down to check for all of the signs of a fake. Especially with internet tickets that you just print off at home, it's nearly impossible to validate a ticket by eyeball.

3. It allows for them to scan someone out of the stadium in case they have a medical emergency or left their diabetes medication in the car and then scan them back in.

4. In the case of a fight or problem in the stands, staff can demand to see a valid ticket (which they can do at any time since you need a valid ticket on you at all times to be in the stadium) and then scan it when you show it, which in turn will record the seat location and then they can find out if you're a season ticket holder and revoke your tickets if you're a troublemaker. This does happen.

I wasn't calling you a clown, I was referring to the tired troll routine posted above me. I was just saying that the Bears and Bills used their normal game helmets, not a new set. I wasn't giving my opinion on the rule.