2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Nobody disagrees that CTE is a major issue. It's how the league has gone about addressing it that invites criticism - first by trying to cover it up for decades, then the current heavy-handed, nonsensical rules like this that smack of an attempt to create good PR and dodge lawsuits instead of demonstrating a genuine concern for player safety.

If the league could prove statistically beyond a reasonable doubt that not wearing throwback helmets would be safer for the players and extend their lives, this rule would make sense - but that would require work on the league's part that they're either unable or unwilling to do.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/18/2013 at 5:10 PM, Lights Out said:
On 9/18/2013 at 11:02 AM, oldschoolvikings said:
On 9/18/2013 at 10:50 AM, BrianLion said:

Roger Goodell seems like the kind of guy who finds a mouse in his house and then decides the best solution is just to burn the house to the ground.

Talk about overkill, geez. Helmet padding is what gets "broken in" not the helmet itself. You can easily transfer padding between helmets, in most cases it just snaps right in.

Mouse?

I find it hard to believe that not wearing throwback helmets would have prolonged Seau's life.

As do I. However, if there is a chance that this "broken in helmet" thing is important then I don't feel that the burden of proof is on the league to show that it's true...it's best to be safe. On the other hand, this is extremely low-hanging fruit and probably marginal at best. It's not the answer.

Seau is the poster child for the real issue. I don't think he ever had a concussion (though early in his career, it may have gone ignored by him an everyone else). He just spent nearly 20 years cracking his head into other heads and it took its toll.

I am getting more on board with the no helmet thing every day. And I really hope the NFL and college are looking into it. There should be plenty of opportunity to research NFL/College football vs. rugby and Aussie Rules (which I realize may not be as high-speed). I hope the NFL is not worried about losing helmets due to the importance they play in symbolizing the teams. Helmets are weapons and they seem to provide a false sense of security.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Nobody disagrees that CTE is a major issue. It's how the league has gone about addressing it that invites criticism - first by trying to cover it up for decades, then the current barrage of heavy-handed, nonsensical rules like this that smack of an attempt to create good PR and dodge lawsuits instead of demonstrating a genuine concern for player safety.

It's the TSA approach to solving problem:

- identify a problem

- identify all possible solutions

- implement the solutions that are the easiest, grab the most media attention, score the most short-term political points, and are the least likely to actually correct the problem (eg. nail clippers)

- ignore obvious ones because they take too long to notice results and don't score political points. (eg. consistent policy enforcement & routine evaluation of TSA staff)

- continue implementing meaningless solutions to maintain appearance of hard work (eg. security theatre)

galaxy.png

This rule makes absolutely no sense. What exactly is the problem with wearing a throwback helmet when it's exactly the same technology? Wouldn't it actually be safer not to use the same shells all year because then they're not exposed to as much wear and tear?

The justification I have read is that the helmets have to be "broken in," and the players start breaking in their helmets in the spring, then wear them through training camp before ever getting to a game. We have seen instances of players wearing throwback helmets in practice a few weeks before a throwback game so they could break them in before the game. But what exactly is broken in? They aren't actually reshaping the shell. All that would be broken in would be the padding. So why don't they just take the "broken in" padding out of the normal helmets and put them in the throwback ones?
SO if a player is traded or dropped and signed elsewhere, he must continue to use his "broken in" helmet from the old team for the remainder of the year? Rules are rules...he might end up a vegetable with a different helmet!

Exhibit A: Trent Richardson.

spacer.png

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1779000-redesigned-logos-for-every-nfl-team

Don't know if this has been posted before, but here's a link (yes, I know it's on B/R) to a redesign someone has done with the NFL, not to bad actually.

There are a couple that would be upgrades (really like the Ravens redesign), but my Lions don't fare so well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1779000-redesigned-logos-for-every-nfl-team

Don't know if this has been posted before, but here's a link (yes, I know it's on B/R) to a redesign someone has done with the NFL, not to bad actually.

Couple of my favorites:

yFnE2m8h_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=432&q=85

qp6xc8kh_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=432&q=85

Upgrades:

Buffalo

Miami

New England

Jets

Cleveland

Colts (Flame away)

Tennessee

San Diego

Green Bay (Flame away)

They're high quality concepts, but some of them are kinda stupid.

5OKVqhih_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=432&q=85

Can hardly see just what the hell I'm supposed to be looking at. Go Baltimore Dark Splotches!

ch0qbN7h_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=432&q=85

Go overdeveloped tiger fetus!

He tries too hard to make the logo blend into the wordmark and it gets annoying. The fetus/shrimp thing is a reoccurring problem. Colts, Redskins, Giants, and Saints are legit, IMHO.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Aren't some of those stolen? I feel like the Redskins one was Fraser's or someone like that.

My first thought when I saw this one was that it was a Fraser Davidson logo:

yFnE2m8h_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=432&q=85

Turns out it was not the one I was thinking of though:

DT%20AMERICANS.png

So I don't think any are stolen logos. Heavily inspired logos... probably.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

ch0qbN7h_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=432&q=85

Go overdeveloped tiger fetus!

The Bengaslug!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If you're doing an NFL redesign and you turn the Colts' horshoe on its side to make a C you are the 100,000,000th person to think of that and not one of those concepts has ever looked good.

and LOL at the Bengal worm. Sorry dude, but swing a miss on almost every single one of those logos.

PvO6ZWJ.png

When did this turn into the "some guy did some NFL redesigns" thread?

On Seau, it's tragic he died and it's tragic that some former players like Mike Webster had/have the problems they have. But what are the numbers? Is the statistical probability even known? Yes, one is too many. But the sensibility of an action has to be measured against the real risk. Before we get rid of helmets, doesn't the league have to know that?

Also, if you get rid of helmets do you keep the rest of the pads or do they end up dressed like Aussie rules players?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

When did this turn into the "some guy did some NFL redesigns" thread?

On Seau, it's tragic he died and it's tragic that some former players like Mike Webster had/have the problems they have. But what are the numbers? Is the statistical probability even known? Yes, one is too many. But the sensibility of an action has to be measured against the real risk. Before we get rid of helmets, doesn't the league have to know that?

Also, if you get rid of helmets do you keep the rest of the pads or do they end up dressed like Aussie rules players?

Here's how you measure: You compare brain health to the general population based on demographics, age/gender etc., then you narrow your subset to other professions and sports where individuals may be exposed to similar head injuries to determine if the occurrence of side effects or damage is statistically more frequent amongst american football players.

As far as future equipment goes, you could go full aussie rules or look to rugby where soft pads and scrum caps are legal to protect against very minor superficial injuries. You could even look backward to the 1910's-20's and make a modern redesign of the original uniform.

Aside from the other gripes from you guys, here's my own. What the EFF is going on with the Broncos logo? I know that they're trying to incorporate the horse into a mountain, but that's horrible. Also, the St. Louis ams? I'm not reading that horn as an R, lowercase or not. Why is the O in browns colored in orange? Just a lot of strange stuff going on here. Can somebody explain the Steelers one?

I actually LIKE the Lions, Titans, Packers, Jets & Bills.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Most of these are a miss for me. However, the Patriots and skins logos I would adopt as primary logos. The 9ers and packers logos I really like as alternate logos.

And the bears logo isn't great, but I like the hidden wishbone-C as the corner of the mouth.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

If you're doing an NFL redesign and you turn the Colts' horshoe on its side to make a C you are the 100,000,000th person to think of that and not one of those concepts has ever looked good.

and LOL at the Bengal worm. Sorry dude, but swing a miss on almost every single one of those logos.

Totally agree. They're mostly awful. The Titans logo looks like a gigantic blue blob from afar.

Archived