2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets are a freaking mess with the mismatched colors (not necessarily Nike's fault, mind you).

It absolutely is Nike's fault. They produce a pile of crap, called it "advanced" and handed it to the Jets. It was entirely unprofessional to so horribly mismatch the color you were supposed to reproduce. If Nike couldn't match the Jets and Packers shade of green (or even do the entire jersey in one shade of green instead of multiple), they should have done something differently and either come up with a special template for those teams or just recommend they use the old materials. Of course, the Jets were fools for looking at the crap they were handed and approving it, whereas the Packers said it was unacceptable. However, Nike should have never even let jerseys like the Jets' see the light of day.

Jets didn't have accept the uni. Just as much blame if not more on Jets than on Nike. So quit Nike-bashing simply because you don't like Nike.

The Jets are a freaking mess with the mismatched colors (not necessarily Nike's fault, mind you).

It absolutely is Nike's fault. They produce a pile of crap, called it "advanced" and handed it to the Jets. It was entirely unprofessional to so horribly mismatch the color you were supposed to reproduce. If Nike couldn't match the Jets and Packers shade of green (or even do the entire jersey in one shade of green instead of multiple), they should have done something differently and either come up with a special template for those teams or just recommend they use the old materials. Of course, the Jets were fools for looking at the crap they were handed and approving it, whereas the Packers said it was unacceptable. However, Nike should have never even let jerseys like the Jets' see the light of day.

Jets didn't have accept the uni. Just as much blame if not more on Jets than on Nike. So quit Nike-bashing simply because you don't like Nike.

Once again, because it appears you didn't read my entire post, the Jets were fools for accepting those jerseys. They absolutely should have told Nike they weren't acceptable, as the Packers and Eagles did (different shade of green, but Nike couldn't get close to that shade either). Of course, they were told this was advanced technology and if their teams didn't wear it, they would be at a gigantic competitive disadvantage, so they bought in. However, it should have never even gotten to the Jets. Their home jersey looks so bad it should have been discarded in the prototype stage. If you can't make the team's color, you don't show them a jersey in three different shades of green and say "close enough", particularly when there is a very easy solution to matching their actual color. It's absolutely shameful and shows a lack of pride in their work. It's like the kid who has two weeks to work on a project and just glues sloppily cut-out newspaper clippings to a posterboard the night before. Nike even showing that to a team is a big "we don't give a :censored:."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

mia_2013.jpg

Real or not, this 2013 Dolphins concept is freaking fantastic! Would love ot see this turn out to be the real deal.

logo looks good. but those arnt exactly Nike templates. they're PS'd pictures of stuff thats already out there.

When you say "stuff thats already out there" do you mean leaks or do you mean fan made designs?

That's an old Photoshop template from a couple years ago (I want to say it was originally for the Nike College GI Drag shows, but am not sure). When you see that, you know it's a fan design.

Isn't that the elite 51? Template that they used to unveil ye nfl uniforms? Im pretty certain it is.

And old roman what is the simple solution to matching the greens?

Nike gets a lot of ink for their new modern designs (like the Seahawk mess), but what they seem to do pretty well is the more traditional looks. To me, the Bears, the Chiefs, the Browns, etc, all look better with Nike than they did with Rbk. Nike does a better job keeping standard sleeve stripes somewhat horizontal. Its too bad the Vikings didn't do a throwback this year... I would've liked to see Nike's version of it.

Agree 100%. The difference in how much better the Browns jerseys look this year compared to last year is amazing. (On The Logocast, Mike W. has said the same thing about the Chiefs and Bears.) I think the Nike jersey cut/template/whatever you want to call it, has been a huge upgrade over Reebok. Everyone looks better. Hell, Nike even has the Jags all white uniforms looking halfway decent.

The Bears and Chiefs look better due to the moving of TV numbers to the shoulders. While that's something that happened under Nike, it's not something that is exclusive to Nike. Had that been done by Reebok, the jerseys would look every bit as good as they do now.

I think it's far from "everyone looks better." Most of the two-toned Flywire collared teams look worse. The Jets are a freaking mess with the mismatched colors (not necessarily Nike's fault, mind you).

Nike's biggest contribution has been a jersey that seems (from observation, anyway) to fit players much, much better. The graphic portions of Nike templates range from much improved to much regressed.

That's basically what I was referring to. The fit of the Nike jerseys is much better and by extension, it's made a lot of the teams look much better as a result. I should have been clearer on that.

It should go without saying that the two-tone collars are ridiculous.

BB52Big.jpg

mia_2013.jpg

Real or not, this 2013 Dolphins concept is freaking fantastic! Would love ot see this turn out to be the real deal.

logo looks good. but those arnt exactly Nike templates. they're PS'd pictures of stuff thats already out there.

When you say "stuff thats already out there" do you mean leaks or do you mean fan made designs?

That's an old Photoshop template from a couple years ago (I want to say it was originally for the Nike College GI Drag shows, but am not sure). When you see that, you know it's a fan design.

This is actually from the NFL Nike Unveil for the Elite Uniform.

Shameless plug I have recently done a front & back template which can be seen here

Anybody heard anything about what the Bengals plan to do next year? I really wish they would go back to their older look, or at least have a soild white road. They have so much potential, and why they ever went with the "trend" of the mid 00's is beyond me. The Bills did a good job in getting rid of it, so should they.

Once again, because it appears you didn't read my entire post, the Jets were fools for accepting those jerseys. They absolutely should have told Nike they weren't acceptable, as the Packers and Eagles did (different shade of green, but Nike couldn't get close to that shade either). Of course, they were told this was advanced technology and if their teams didn't wear it, they would be at a gigantic competitive disadvantage, so they bought in. However, it should have never even gotten to the Jets. Their home jersey looks so bad it should have been discarded in the prototype stage. If you can't make the team's color, you don't show them a jersey in three different shades of green and say "close enough", particularly when there is a very easy solution to matching their actual color. It's absolutely shameful and shows a lack of pride in their work. It's like the kid who has two weeks to work on a project and just glues sloppily cut-out newspaper clippings to a posterboard the night before. Nike even showing that to a team is a big "we don't give a :censored:."

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about all this...how can Nike not be able to reproduce a color? Is it some secret Reebok formula that allows all of the greens match that Nike simply cannot do? Or is it simply a case that Nike didn't take the time to adjust the various shades to make them appear the same?

Also, why all of the issues with green? Why do the Colts not have 4 shades of blue, or the Browns have 3 shades of brown and orange in various sections of the uniform?

70389454.png

Sorry for the lack of recognition on quoting...I haven't figured out how to multi-quote properly on this forum.

Obviously you didn't see this article from ABC news. http://abcnews.go.co...m-fit-uniforms/

I saw it. They hate that they look fat. But, they look fat because they're fat.

I hate the way the sweatbox looks, and without wearing the jersey to compare to a traditional jersey cut, I can't confirm my thoughts. However, the jersey appears to be cut in a manner which makes the portion around the pads fit well to the pads without tape and other add-ons. Double sided carpet tape and glues were long mainstays in equipment rooms to affix a jersey to the pads. It's hard to tell with the weight of the Nike material on the Flywire template, but it appears that that's no longer necessary. That, to me, would be a huge upgrade.

Being upset because you look fat while at the same time wanting jerseys as tight as possible so you don't get pulled on by defenders is amusing.

Ok, so outside of overweight people, the jerseys fit better. Plus, I think he meant they visually look to fit the players better. This looks especially to be true with Nike's Bengals uniforms.

Visually, they seem to fit much better, yes. And ESPECIALLY for the Bengals road uniform is the cut a huge improvement to the graphic design.

The franchise has to approve any uniform they receive.

That the Jets don't care enough about their shade of green is an issue to take up with the Jets and not Nike. If Nike finds a way to better match the colors, I'm sure they'll implement that. There's no way that they can be entirely happy with how the Jets look.

If the Jets want a change, they'll make one. Until the franchise decides to do that, Nike'll deliver the best product that they can right now to that franchise.

That's basically what I was referring to. The fit of the Nike jerseys is much better and by extension, it's made a lot of the teams look much better as a result. I should have been clearer on that.

It should go without saying that the two-tone collars are ridiculous.

Gotcha. My mistake.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about all this...how can Nike not be able to reproduce a color? Is it some secret Reebok formula that allows all of the greens match that Nike simply cannot do? Or is it simply a case that Nike didn't take the time to adjust the various shades to make them appear the same?

Also, why all of the issues with green? Why do the Colts not have 4 shades of blue, or the Browns have 3 shades of brown and orange in various sections of the uniform?

I'd imagine the answer is along these lines:

Nike doesn't manufacture the fabric for their uniforms. The fabric supplier matches the color to the best of their ability depending on the dying process for both the material the fabric is made of and the color itself.

With the Jets, the dying process for the three different fabrics (sweatboxes, chest/side material, stripes) just happens to result in grossly different colors of green for whatever reason. And that's the case for the Colts, too, but it's not as noticeable:

11738145-large.jpg

The color under Luck's throwing arm is noticeably different than that at his chest. It's not as pronounced as on the Jets, but it's there.

Until there's a way to make fabrics with different performance properties of a similar tactile property or a way to better dye the jersey materials to match across different fabrics, we're stuck with the mismatching.

I guess neither manufacturer had an issue with matching on the old styles and materials of jersey. However, Nike has issues with the new materials. The Jets' mismatched colors are terrible. The Packers were shown their jersey in Nike's new template and turned it down in favor of what they wore last year, likely due in large part to the mismatched greens. It was reported that Nike couldn't even get close to matching the Eagles' green color on jerseys, so they went with the old materials, also.

The franchise has to approve any uniform they receive.

That the Jets don't care enough about their shade of green is an issue to take up with the Jets and not Nike. If Nike finds a way to better match the colors, I'm sure they'll implement that. There's no way that they can be entirely happy with how the Jets look.

If the Jets want a change, they'll make one. Until the franchise decides to do that, Nike'll deliver the best product that they can right now to that franchise.

They are NOT delivering the best product right now. The best product would be for them to have told the Jets "We have to give you the old style jerseys because we can't match the greens at this time. We will keep trying." They could deliver a product that exactly matched what the Jets should be wearing, but instead they wanted to have more teams wear their proprietary templates. That the Jets are dumb enough to overlook the obvious color differences is not important. It is ridiculous that Nike had the balls to even show a team jerseys that bad. The Jets were undoubtedly influenced by Nike's claims that the jerseys were so advanced and teams not wearing them would be left in the dust. Still, if Nike had pride in its craft, those mismatched jerseys would have never even been seen by the Jets.

Until there's a way to make fabrics with different performance properties of a similar tactile property or a way to better dye the jersey materials to match across different fabrics, we're stuck with the mismatching.

Or... Nike could just make uniforms in team colors, which is really their primary objective. If they can't match the colors, they should go back to a jersey style that they can match. The potential .03% performance benefit is not reason enough to produce such awful, mismatched jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'd imagine the answer is along these lines:

Nike doesn't manufacture the fabric for their uniforms. The fabric supplier matches the color to the best of their ability depending on the dying process for both the material the fabric is made of and the color itself.

With the Jets, the dying process for the three different fabrics (sweatboxes, chest/side material, stripes) just happens to result in grossly different colors of green for whatever reason. And that's the case for the Colts, too, but it's not as noticeable:

11738145-large.jpg

The color under Luck's throwing arm is noticeably different than that at his chest. It's not as pronounced as on the Jets, but it's there.

the other thing to keep in mind is that the sweat boxes are a loose knit mesh while the shoulder and chest panels are a tight knit durable fabric so they may be in fact an exact color match but the sheer difference in density and construction method will ensure that neither fabric will match.

it's like pairing a black t shirt with black fish net stockings ...they are both black but they will never look the same when worn next to each other because they are so different.

I'll just add this and then slide on back out of this conversation...

...To be fair (to a point), green isn't exactly the easiest color to work with. Purple either, for that matter. (And shoot, even teal.) Something in the makeup of whatever ink the fabrics are produced with makes them react differently to differrent types of light; henceforth, why sometimes green uniforms sometimes tend to look a little yellowish in direct sunlight, and purple a good bit reddish—probably something with the sun playing on the yellowish/reddish composites of whatever inkink was used toto dye the fabrics—while the colors seem a bit "truer" under the the stadium lights. (I'm just throwing out a guess here since I'm completely ignorant as to how the textile industry works.) Now I don't know how much time manufacturers devote to studying ways to develop fabrics that better reflect colors in multiple light sources, or where that issue is on their prioriry lists, or if it's even possible. Just one side of the coin.

The other thing is this: in a way, some of the teams should probably take some blame for some of this, too. The Seahawks (were) the best example, settling on a custom-mixed shade of blue that really had no set formula. (I have no clue about their current setup, though.) The Buccaneers' pewter is another example (I still don't think they have a designated swatch code for that—ColorWerx??); I may be wrong but I think the Eagles'to midnight green may also be a custom color. The point is...that doesn't exactly make it easy for manufacturers to "get the colors right" consistently, either.

and now back to my popcorn

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

They are NOT delivering the best product right now. The best product would be for them to have told the Jets "We have to give you the old style jerseys because we can't match the greens at this time. We will keep trying." They could deliver a product that exactly matched what the Jets should be wearing, but instead they wanted to have more teams wear their proprietary templates. That the Jets are dumb enough to overlook the obvious color differences is not important. It is ridiculous that Nike had the balls to even show a team jerseys that bad. The Jets were undoubtedly influenced by Nike's claims that the jerseys were so advanced and teams not wearing them would be left in the dust. Still, if Nike had pride in its craft, those mismatched jerseys would have never even been seen by the Jets.

Or... Nike could just make uniforms in team colors, which is really their primary objective. If they can't match the colors, they should go back to a jersey style that they can match. The potential .03% performance benefit is not reason enough to produce such awful, mismatched jerseys.

To the first, do you honestly think that Nike sits back and thinks "Yeah, that's not so bad" when they see the Jets? I'm sure that they recognize that that look is horrid. However, Nike simply provides the cut/construction of the jersey. If a team wants to accept something that's hideous, it's on the team for accepting those standards.

:censored:, people have no issue criticizing a team's decision to take on a look (such as Minnesota or Atlanta with, in the eyes of many it seems, overpiped monstrosities). Why do some/you suddenly have a huge issue with a team accepting a look you don't like?

As for the second part, that's what happened with Philadelphia because the Eagles franchise didn't like/wouldn't accept the change in color. That's partly why Green Bay is in the old template. That's why Oakland is in the old template. Those FRANCHISES chose to not use the Elite 51 template for color matching/other reasons. The Jets, however, didn't care. That's on the Jets, not Nike.

To the first, do you honestly think that Nike sits back and thinks "Yeah, that's not so bad" when they see the Jets? I'm sure that they recognize that that look is horrid. However, Nike simply provides the cut/construction of the jersey. If a team wants to accept something that's hideous, it's on the team for accepting those standards.

:censored:, people have no issue criticizing a team's decision to take on a look (such as Minnesota or Atlanta with, in the eyes of many it seems, overpiped monstrosities). Why do some/you suddenly have a huge issue with a team accepting a look you don't like?

As for the second part, that's what happened with Philadelphia because the Eagles franchise didn't like/wouldn't accept the change in color. That's partly why Green Bay is in the old template. That's why Oakland is in the old template. Those FRANCHISES chose to not use the Elite 51 template for color matching/other reasons. The Jets, however, didn't care. That's on the Jets, not Nike.

As I said, the Jets are not without blame. They made a terrible decision in believing Nike's sales pitch and overlooking the jersey colors because of that. That absolutely should have told Nike to shove it. However, Nike even presenting that to them is unaccaptable, in my opinion. I fully believe that Nike is saying "that's not so bad" when they look at the Jets' jerseys. If they thought they looked horrible, they shouldn't have presented them to the Jets as a possibility. It isn't even a matter of not being able to match a single color, such as if they made the Jets' jerseys look closer to kelly green. The fact that there are three different greens on the jersey shows that Nike basically half-assed it, had no pride in the product they were putting out and said "close enough." Remember, the easy solution was to make traditional style jerseys like they did for the Packers. There WAS an alternative which could have kept the look intact.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

about the Jets different colors, its even apparent in the merchandise.

I have two hats, the upper one is a reebok from 1-2 years ago and the lower a new nike cap

2012-12-11170625.jpg

Cant really tell from the photo too well but the Nike one is definitely more "olive" like the new jerseys

I was able to same each color as best i could.

2-3.png

True2OB.png

All the more reason why the Jets need to get back to that nice pretty kelly green.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived