2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

about the Jets different colors, its even apparent in the merchandise.

I have two hats, the upper one is a reebok from 1-2 years ago and the lower a new nike cap

2012-12-11170625.jpg

Cant really tell from the photo too well but the Nike one is definitely more "olive" like the new jerseys

I was able to same each color as best i could.

2-3.png

what material/fabric is each green in? just by the way the light shines differently on the green I'm assuming the fabrics are not similar...the rbk looks like a acrylic/wool blend while the nike looks like some sort of poly...then you have to take the hat vendors' ability to match colors accurately.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nike doesn't manufacture the fabric for their uniforms. The fabric supplier matches the color to the best of their ability depending on the dying process for both the material the fabric is made of and the color itself.

Is Nike claiming that the materials provide a competitive advantage? If so, it would be disingenuous to suggest that they are mere draftsmen at the mercy of those unscrupulous companies that actually manufacture the uniforms.

Nike doesn't manufacture the fabric for their uniforms. The fabric supplier matches the color to the best of their ability depending on the dying process for both the material the fabric is made of and the color itself.

Is Nike claiming that the materials provide a competitive advantage? If so, it would be disingenuous to suggest that they are mere draftsmen at the mercy of those unscrupulous companies that actually manufacture the uniforms.

I'll play along....I'm pretty confident nike's supply and distribution chain is nearly 100% built of 3rd party contractors/outside vendors to bring their products to market...all they do is design & market in house and I even think a good chunk of the creative work is done by contractors and not full timers.

also to be fair this business model is pretty much standard operating procedure for any enterprise that is in the business of making products

Yes, but does Nike have any control over the physical materials?

Flywire isn't just lines on paper, somebody had to construct that. Somebody had to test it under different conditions, to determine how much stress the materials could take and how much support was needed to fulfill its stated objective.

The sweatbox panels are constructed of a different material than the rest of the jersey. Why? Is that in-house design, or do they serve a purpose? If the boxes serve a purpose, then those needed to be tested and refined as well. Who did that if not Nike?

Remember those who claimed Flywire and the sweatboxes and all the other innovations were just design smoke? If your description of the process is accurate, then those people were right. If the construction itself isn't crucial, then all the talk of innovation was just that, empty talk.

I don't think that's the case.

I suspect the situation is more analogous to beer. Sam Adams doesn't brew all its own beer. That's not its business model. Sam Adams itself only brews a relatively small amount of beer, and that is only for the northeastern market. If you're drinking Sam Adams in Florida, then what you're drinking was actually brewed by MillerCoors. Sam Adams contracts out the majority of their brewing to other companies, but under strict contract. MillerCoors can't alter the formula in any way, but must reproduce it to Sam Adams's exacting specifications.

Same with Nike and its manufacturing contracts. Nike doesn't make things, that's not their model. But I have a very hard time believing that the contracts don't specify what needs to be produced, right down to the stiching.

about the Jets different colors, its even apparent in the merchandise.

I have two hats, the upper one is a reebok from 1-2 years ago and the lower a new nike cap

2012-12-11170625.jpg

Cant really tell from the photo too well but the Nike one is definitely more "olive" like the new jerseys

I was able to same each color as best i could.

2-3.png

what material/fabric is each green in? just by the way the light shines differently on the green I'm assuming the fabrics are not similar...the rbk looks like a acrylic/wool blend while the nike looks like some sort of poly...then you have to take the hat vendors' ability to match colors accurately.

I could be wrong, but i'm certain Nike has nothing to do with the new caps, and the new contract is exclusive to only New Era and 47.

I'm not certain how they phrase their tech/competitive advantage claims. If I recall, I think they make the claim that the uniform construct (Elite 51 in this case) is what provides the advantage and not the fabrics. And while Nike probably isn't the one manufacturing the fabric, it's possible that they're developing them. Without knowing exactly what they say and what they do, it's hard to pin down what is/isn't a fair assessment of their claims.

Agreed.

I have come to the understanding that Jaguars 2013 are "Revolutionary and still have a nice amount of teal with some other unique stuff. "

I wonder when they will Start unveiling these uniforms if they will do it Individually or in a group?

Draft Day?

70389454.png

Agreed.

I have come to the understanding that Jaguars 2013 are "Revolutionary and still have a nice amount of teal with some other unique stuff. "

I wonder when they will Start unveiling these uniforms if they will do it Individually or in a group?

I just hope they dont have spots anywhere. Have you heard if they have brought gold back to the uniforms?

Agreed.

Draft Day?

Usually teams like to have stuff unveiled before draft day so they can have the new stuff out there.

I'm curious as to when the new logos with come out. They are usually released a couple months before the uniforms.

Panthers unveiled their new logo in January I believe. As did the Cardinals way back when they updated.

Not saying this means or doesn't mean anything, just something strange I happened to catch on TV this morning...

differentcoltsscript.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived