seahawk9

2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

5330f_lg.jpeg

Thought these looked great. Never understood why they got rid of these. The ones they wear now should have been throwbacks only.

Now this is what they need to be wearing today...beautiful!

history doesn't make up for the look of the jersey not going with anything in their uniforms,

In my opinion, it does. On top of that, I think the quirkiness of the design, the lack of conventional design "wisdom" is exactly what make it so cool. Even if it wasn't the uniform they wore in the glory days of the 50's (which it absolutely is), even if they just came up with it today, the non-logic of it would appeal to me. It's like the lack of gold on the Niners' jersey... some of us like it, some don't.

im with you OSV. so much of design from the mid 20th century is flawed, but it's those flaws and oddities that make it likable, distinct, memorable.

that said, i don't think theres actually anything wrong with the Giants' uniform. a lot of people talk about consistency, repetition, and unity through all 4 pieces (helmet, jersey, pants, socks) as if each piece has to do the same thing. that's fine if it's an aesthetic you like, but to do something a bit more unique and special, you need to look at the uniform as a whole. not each piece needs to be treated the same way to achieve visual unity. i think the Giants' uniform does that very well as it is. same with the 49ers

Right. Consistency, repetition, unity... these are obviously all design principles, but so are dissidence and variety. Some of my favorite uniforms break the "rules" and that's exactly what I like about them. Like this one...

troy-aikman-ucla.jpg

Helmet.. gold and navy (and gray)

Home Jersey... Sky blue, gold and navy,

Road Jersey... White, navy, gold

Pants... gold.

Every attempt to "clean up" the color inconsistencies in UCLA's uniform has led to a worse uniform IMO.

I agree and when they (adidas) tries to add new elements (Black Uniform & Navy Uniform) they F them up worse.

I feel like I'm the only guy who thinks grey really works for the Giants.

I dig the grey. I also like the 50's style jerseys that don't use a third color.

Nope... you're not the only one. The Giants current uniform is one of my favorites. In fact, IMO it's about as close to perfect as the NFL has right now.

Well, it was before they started messing about with it.

Use the gray pants with blue/red/blue stripes, and they have the single best home uniform in the NFL.

5330f_lg.jpeg

Thought these looked great. Never understood why they got rid of these. The ones they wear now should have been throwbacks only.

This.

Nope... you're not the only one. The Giants current uniform is one of my favorites. In fact, IMO it's about as close to perfect as the NFL has right now.

The giants have the best uniforms in the league for me. (and that's because the cowboys are one of my teams)

Their helmets are beautiful, their home uniforms are just fine and their away set is probably my favorite look in the league. I hope they dont change a thing.

Anyone else hate how some Dolphin players helmet has MIAMI on the front and others have RIDDLE

White pants nearly make all the difference in the world. Let's hope they do something like this for 2014. I didn't add red to the shoulder numbers, but I meant to.

Giants2014_zpsf964ce38.png

history doesn't make up for the look of the jersey not going with anything in their uniforms,

In my opinion, it does. On top of that, I think the quirkiness of the design, the lack of conventional design "wisdom" is exactly what make it so cool. Even if it wasn't the uniform they wore in the glory days of the 50's (which it absolutely is), even if they just came up with it today, the non-logic of it would appeal to me. It's like the lack of gold on the Niners' jersey... some of us like it, some don't.

im with you OSV. so much of design from the mid 20th century is flawed, but it's those flaws and oddities that make it likable, distinct, memorable.

that said, i don't think theres actually anything wrong with the Giants' uniform. a lot of people talk about consistency, repetition, and unity through all 4 pieces (helmet, jersey, pants, socks) as if each piece has to do the same thing. that's fine if it's an aesthetic you like, but to do something a bit more unique and special, you need to look at the uniform as a whole. not each piece needs to be treated the same way to achieve visual unity. i think the Giants' uniform does that very well as it is. same with the 49ers

Right. Consistency, repetition, unity... these are obviously all design principles, but so are dissidence and variety. Some of my favorite uniforms break the "rules" and that's exactly what I like about them. Like this one...

troy-aikman-ucla.jpg

Helmet.. gold and navy (and gray)

Home Jersey... Sky blue, gold and navy,

Road Jersey... White, navy, gold

Pants... gold.

Every attempt to "clean up" the color inconsistencies in UCLA's uniform has led to a worse uniform IMO.

spot on. thats a uniform with character and charm.

sorry BgMack, but that uniform concept is the definition of boring for me

Anyone else hate how some Dolphin players helmet has MIAMI on the front and others have RIDDLE

By the way it's "Riddell"; not "Riddle"; and you'll only have to hate it until training camp next year.

Gotta disagree, the Giant current home uniform looks like a practice jersey. And the road jerseys being devoid of the color blue for a team that calls itself "Big Blue" never sat well with me.

I hate to say it, but in many ways I miss this set.

g240295_u87572_LawrenceTaylor.jpg234328.jpg.16895_display_image.jpg?12722

they need to at least outline the numbers in blue, make the nameplates blue, and have the outside stripes on the sleeves be blue on the away, and pretty much recolor that for homes where blue is the main and white replaces red and red replaces blue.

It was tried with the previous set. I hated the previous set. Having the numbers in the secondary red color with the primary color as an outline looked very wrong. I thought the same thing about the Falcons' last road set. Maybe it was the gray/silver pants which set each off (in a bad way), I don't know.

It sounds strange, but for some reason, removing the blue outline from the numbers made a huge difference to me. I kind of like how each element of the jersey features a different color. I think the sparkly blue helmet absolutely makes the road look, and makes it one of my favorite looks in football. However, I think the home look blows. That sparkly blue helmet is in large contrast to the faded t-shirt look of their ultra-matte blue jerseys.

I'm starting to come around to the simplicity of the Giants home uniform. However, I can't get behind their ugly ugly roads. Need to do something like their early 2000's set, which was better imo.

Although let me not forget, WHITE pants above grey. Forgot that part... White looked so good this week.

I know I've always been in the minority but I absolutely love the Giants away set. It shouldn't work but it does wonderfully.

I know I've always been in the minority but I absolutely love the Giants away set. It shouldn't work but it does wonderfully.

I hate throwbacks and simplicity, but I too am a huge fan of the Giants away unis.

It isn't because they're my favorite football team either, I am very critical of my teams if they do something I don't want to buy in terms of logos and unis. The Bolts for example.

But I love the red and white, I think it's a great look.