2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be completely crazy on this, but I seem to remember the charcoal being added with the move to Lincoln Financial Field, because that color was associated with Lincoln Financial, or something. Maybe I just dreamed that.

I agree... a horrible decision, design-wise. Dark green, black... and add another dark color? Especially when there was (and IS) silver in the helmet and sleeve logos. The Eagles may not be in the bottom 10, but could really use a refresh.

Any news on a new Eagles uniform? We've had the same one 1996 and same with the logo (however the logo is really nice still). What's weird is that it looks different every year to me. Like 2000 McNabb looks very different to 2013 Nick Foles in the uniform. Granted that's probably because the jersey has lived through many changes (Reebok, Nike, etc.) and changes to uniform design (getting lighter, etc). Having grown up, pretty much only seeing this uniform in action though, I can safely say, I love it and will miss it when it's gone. It is time for Kelly green to come to our city though. The uniform is just outdated in every way. 2 tone drop shadow, darkened colors, BFBS, lack of a true alt since it's from '96, inconsistent leg striping on the home and away, shadow on the wings on the helmet, etc. It just needs an update bad. I wanna see the logo kept the same or similar, but recolored along with bringing back the old one redesigned for an alt. I actually wouldn't even mind something crazy. What if we went kelly green and light blue or kelly green and yellow like Oregon. Or 2 tones of green (Kelly and Forest). However it'd be best for the franchise to just go Kelly, Silver, White, and MAYBE a tertiary color in charcoal, black, or something crazy like the blue or yellow. Either way, something needs to be done because these uniforms are worn out.

I may be completely crazy on this, but I seem to remember the charcoal being added with the move to Lincoln Financial Field, because that color was associated with Lincoln Financial, or something. Maybe I just dreamed that.

You're half imagining. It was added with the move to Lincoln Financial Field, but it was simply part of the redesign that year, and had nothing to do with Lincoln Financial. To be fair, in reality, it's not as dark as it appears on the official color swatches.

I talked with 49ers play by play radio guy Ted Robinson a week after the Justin Smith forced fumble on Jeremy Maclin in the 2011 season. If you listen to the radio call, he first called Maclin DeSean Jackson. He told me the reason why was because both their numbers looked similar to him. He thought the 8 in 18 was a 0 in 10, that's why he called him Jackson. If you hear clips of it now, they've completely just cut out that part because it was only afterward did Robinson realize he made the call identifying the wrong player because of him misreading the uniform number.

Yeah - the cross in the 8 seems to always hit that spot where the shoulder pads cause a crease, and somtimes obscures it. I've also made that mistake. It's partially due to the thinness of the cros in the 8, but also it's something that does affect other teams as well.

My biggest gripe with the numbers is that the 6 and 9 often look like 8 again due to the compression in the uniform. Again, they're not alone here - Tony Romo often looks like he's wearing Troy Aikman's 8 instead of his 9. I think it's equal parts poor design and just a byproduct of the fit of today's NFL uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The 80's Giants uniforms were THE generic football uniform.

But maybe that's my perception because I had one of these pieces of garbage growing up:

Untitled-2_zpse15ff9cd.png

i know I am late to the party, but I used to have this when I was little. It was one of the reasons, I wanted to check out Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Can someone tell me why they are selling some all black champs hats and some that are black and gray, like i am trying to find a black and gray eagles one but no one seems to be selling it

thumb-3.jpeg

thumb.jpeg

its a production and cost thing. they use neutral colors because they dont know who will win the division/conference/super bowl, etc. instead of doing colors for everyone who could possibly win the title by the time they need to start producing, they just do a neutral design. in some extreme time crunches, some manufacturers will have their "Champions" design ready to go then just heat seal a logo on there somewhere. thats also what seems to sell best in a limited run. a Division champion hat is worth doing but still, it's just a division. you're not going to get any really cool designs for that. and why would there be 2 different designs for NFC division winners? dont know. someone either wanted it that way, or it's what they were forced to go with due to some time or material or factory constraints

all that said, there is some team color and logo in the embroidery on these hats. NE's turnaround time is obviously better than most.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Can someone tell me why they are selling some all black champs hats and some that are black and gray, like i am trying to find a black and gray eagles one but no one seems to be selling it

thumb-3.jpeg

thumb.jpeg

its a production and cost thing. they use neutral colors because they dont know who will win the division/conference/super bowl, etc. instead of doing colors for everyone who could possibly win the title by the time they need to start producing, they just do a neutral design. in some extreme time crunches, some manufacturers will have their "Champions" design ready to go then just heat seal a logo on there somewhere. thats also what seems to sell best in a limited run. a Division champion hat is worth doing but still, it's just a division. you're not going to get any really cool designs for that. and why would there be 2 different designs for NFC division winners? dont know. someone either wanted it that way, or it's what they were forced to go with due to some time or material or factory constraints

all that said, there is some team color and logo in the embroidery on these hats. NE's turnaround time is obviously better than most.

Actually the heat seal could have been the logo and the banner instead of just the logo, which is a cleaver solution to that issue.

Any news on a new Eagles uniform? We've had the same one 1996 and same with the logo (however the logo is really nice still). What's weird is that it looks different every year to me. Like 2000 McNabb looks very different to 2013 Nick Foles in the uniform. Granted that's probably because the jersey has lived through many changes (Reebok, Nike, etc.) and changes to uniform design (getting lighter, etc). Having grown up, pretty much only seeing this uniform in action though, I can safely say, I love it and will miss it when it's gone. It is time for Kelly green to come to our city though. The uniform is just outdated in every way. 2 tone drop shadow, darkened colors, BFBS, lack of a true alt since it's from '96, inconsistent leg striping on the home and away, shadow on the wings on the helmet, etc. It just needs an update bad. I wanna see the logo kept the same or similar, but recolored along with bringing back the old one redesigned for an alt. I actually wouldn't even mind something crazy. What if we went kelly green and light blue or kelly green and yellow like Oregon. Or 2 tones of green (Kelly and Forest). However it'd be best for the franchise to just go Kelly, Silver, White, and MAYBE a tertiary color in charcoal, black, or something crazy like the blue or yellow. Either way, something needs to be done because these uniforms are worn out.

A 2000 McNabb jersey didn't have shadowed numbers. That change happened in 2002 or 2003.

Lack of a true alt?? I'm not sure what this really means...

Shadow on the wings of the helmet?? Thick outline, sure...but the wings don't have a shadow.

The Eagles can keep the current uniforms...just introduce silver pants. Metallic silver pants.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching the Chargers today, I realized that the gold stripe on their socks is actually not part of the sock at all. I always assumed it was

140112_phl_bp_wk19_sd_the_butler_did_it_

im pretty sure its part of the blue sock. i believe the white part is another that goes over the blue. or some kind of crazy 2 piece system. the blue part on Butler's right leg is just rolled up a bit.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

This will not be a great-looking Super Bowl. Only OK at best.

Denver and New England are both stale, I loathe the 49ers' uniforms, and Seattle is drab.

To me it depends on the outcome of Seattle / San Fran. I'm OK with both the Broncos and Pats looks. "Stale" is not a bad description but to me, stale is better than bad. But the difference between the 49ers and the Seahawks is night and day. SF has a top 5 NFL uniform, easy IMO, while the Seahawks' uniform makes me ill. The all-white version that I assume we'd get is better than the all-navy nonsense, but neither one is good.

Archived