2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does look a bit NCAA-ish, but that would be expected now that Nike has taken over!

Why is that? Nike had nothing to do with the logo.

People just feel the need to blame Nike for EVERYTHING.

If there's an earthquake in South Africa that opens up a portal to a 5th dimension filled with demons and Justin Bieber clones.... blame Nike!

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I've always loved the old Jags logo despite his zombie jaw that appears to be falling off/pulled toward the viewer.

But the idea that those mistakes could be fixed had me optimistic.

The new one? Ummm. It's jaw isn't falling off and it looks like a jaguar. It's fine. It's cool. Cool enough I guess.

In my crusty old age I'm trying not to focus on matters of taste as much, but focus on the facts and matters of execution. First and foremost it is much more of a pen and ink illustration than I'm used to...perhaps EVER in the modern digital era of the NFL. But maybe that's the direction we're going? Who knows.. It won't scale well at keychain size. And I have no idea why we're now dealing with an actual shadow element in a football logo. have we ever had that before? Wild.

But it's not as though it's the Panthers logo either, which has replaced the PHX Coyotes IMO as the worst in all of pro sports for its amatuer-hour sloppiness. Althought the Jaguar is too detailed for my liking and the lineweight isn't as consistent as I'd like? It's not as though there are any obvious illustrator errors like with Carolina's.

Now for the nitty gritty - The teal nose piece is attempting to render as highlight and only on the near (viewer) side of the nose..divided by the natural "hemisphere" in a cat's nose. But with this palette teal has to be the "light" relative to the black. So the nose is in light, but that side of the face is in shadow? BoooOOO!!!! Careless.

Secondly, and I preface this by saying I've asked the CCLSC this before and NEVER had anyone agree with meon the phenomenon to no avail...the entire perspective of the logo itself is OFF. Not the way the jaw relates to the head like before. But as in, the way the logo relates to the background. It looks like it's lying on a table 6 feet from me and I'm seeing it lying flat in perspective headed away from me. In my experience this only does happen and only can happen when the artist does not back up to check perspective AS they create it. It happened to me all the time in middle school when I'd rest my head on my desk and doodle on my book cover at an obtuse angle. It's like one of those chalk on the sidewalk illusions everyone used to email around. From one angle it looks right, from every other angle it's all F'd up.

I'm sorry but where are the standards...where are the board rooms with really talented critical eyes catching this stuff? I cannot conceive of how this makes it through committees and past so very many sets of eyes without someone voicing some criticism. Freshman year life drawing classmates caught more mistakes than this. When combined with Carolina this is just completely substandard quality for the biggest league there is.

PS - The type is pretty cool.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Glad the dislocated jaw is fixed.

The dislocated jaw, the eyes lolling in the back of his head. Both gone. No longer clearly coughing up a hairball, which makes this an upgrade.

Just because te flaws from the original are fixed doesn't automatically make it an upgrade.

Especially when it's an illustration of a jaguar, not a logo.

For comparison I put this in Photoshop and went nuts with the skew, distort, warp and perspective options to try and show how I feel the perspective is radically off on this logo. I'm not saying my results (LEFT) are perfect. It was a quicky attempt. But if you had never seen either up until this moment? Which one looks stretched and off? Can I rest my case?

Jags_new_zps608d54d0.jpg

For comparison I put this in Photoshop and went nuts with the skew, distort, warp and perspective options to try and show how I feel the perspective is radically off on this logo. I'm not saying my results (LEFT) are perfect. It was a quicky attempt. But if you had never seen either up until this moment? Which one looks stretched and off? Can I rest my case?

Jags_new_zpsb98f2105.jpg

I like your re-do better

Jags_new_zpsb98f2105.jpg

Yours definitely looks better than the cartoonish Jaguar that was released today.

spacer.png

Jags_new2_zpsde6de54b.jpg

I don't have time to finish this tonight and tackle the whole cockeyed jaw thing. But I think it looks pretty promising so far. If I could figure out how to implement these tweaks (like more white or a proper not bored eye) into something that already had lots of equity? You'd think maybe they could too.

Jags_new_zpsb98f2105.jpg

The one on the left us way, way, way better than the new one

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Glad the dislocated jaw is fixed.

The dislocated jaw, the eyes lolling in the back of his head. Both gone. No longer clearly coughing up a hairball, which makes this an upgrade.

Just because te flaws from the original are fixed doesn't automatically make it an upgrade.

Especially when it's an illustration of a jaguar, not a logo.

Repeating that does not make it true.

I think it's a fine logo.

This is more along the lines of what I would have done.

jax_update.jpg

Not perfect and its many hours away from being something I'd want as a final.

Send this to the Jags, maybe there's still time the draft isn't until the end of April. Even when they decline to use it they'd still think to themselves, damn we paid so much for that cartoony logo and we coulda had this, for cheaper.

Jags_new2_zpsde6de54b.jpg

I don't have time to finish this tonight and tackle the whole cockeyed jaw thing. But I think it looks pretty promising so far. If I could figure out how to implement these tweaks (like more white or a proper not bored eye) into something that already had lots of equity? You'd think maybe they could too.

1. What equity?

2. You've carried over one of the major problems with the old logo, that they managed to fix with the new one - the bizarre rounded left side. The old logo never had enough weight to me, cut short on the back of the head.

Archived