2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do the Panthers, Cowboys, Doplhins, Buccaneers, Redskins, Eagles, and Chargers wear white all the time? Do they hate the home uniforms?

All of those (except the Eagles) are "warm weather city" teams, so they're most likely to wear white at home during the first few weeks of the year when it's still hot outside. The Texans do it to.

.... but the Cowboys only do it because they're the ones who started wearing white at home in the league to set them apart from the other teams in the NFL. And several others followed, like the Texans who tend to wear white at home, but play in a retractable roof stadium so there's no real reason for them to do so. And the Eagles and Redskins tend to play the Cowboys so they sort of force them to wear their blue jerseys when they play.

And this is the NFL. There are no "home" and "away" uniforms. Just white jerseys and color jerseys. No one is bound to just one set.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

The Jaguars always wore all-white in the early part of the season during TC's Tenure.

Did a few times under MM. So it will be interesting to so what they do now.

When they got the new uniform four years ago, they didn't do the white at home until this past season I believe. It could be that way again with the new uniform since they probably do want to wear their dark jersey for marketing purposes

Go A's!

If I just payed 750 million for a football team and my uniforms looked like garbage I would tell the league I dont care about your 5 year rule. Im getting new unis and a new cat logo for people to argue about and make their own version on Sportslogos.net forums. (starting to love the new logo)

Owners who "don't care" about league rules don't usually get to join the league...

Now, I could see a new owner asking for an exemption, on the basis that the rule is there to protect fans who buy merchandise, if there are no fans buying merchandise to protect. Goodell has repeatedly shown that he's much more interested in facilitating business than holding anyone to the letter of the law just to make a point.

But arbitrarily flaunting the rules? Won't happen.

Why do the Panthers, Cowboys, Doplhins, Buccaneers, Redskins, Eagles, and Chargers wear white all the time? Do they hate the home uniforms?

Redskins in white at home hasn't been done since 2009. It was a Joe Gibbs thing going back to his days as an assistant under Don Coryell in San Diego. When Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen came to town, they decided to go burgundy and gold at home.

The Oregon Ducks are the only NCAA team that changes their football uniforms every year. All

Of the NFL teams decided to stay with the same look except for Seattle. That's why Nike took over the NFL.

So, Nike got the NFL contract not for the exposure and the merchandising potential, but just to destroy teams' established looks and make all teams switch from one crap uniform to another every two years? Wow. I'd probably be classified as a "Nike hater" by many on here, but even I don't think they are that diabolical.

And as far as I know, unless the NFL has changed their rule I believe a team can only make substantial design changes to their uniform once every 5 years.

That is correct, but it makes me wonder how the Jags are allowed to change seeing they've only worn their current set for 4 seasons?

5th season in 2013...

Yeah, but that means they only had the set for 4 seasons. Maybe I don't fully know the rule, or maybe they got an exception since there was an ownership change and change in uni company during that time? Who knows.

I think there is a list of teams that have worn white at home somewhere. Nearly every team has done it by now.

If im not mistaken it is every team except the seahawks, the raiders wore white against the chargers a few years back for the first time.

I actually joined this board in 2009 because I was looking for info on what was then Jacksonville's new unis. Case in point: They've only worn their previous package for 4 seasons, not 5.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Two most logical explanations for the Jaguars only wearing their previous uniforms for 4 seasons:

-Shad Khan wanted his team to look how he wanted instead of the bad look the previous owner chose and got an exception to the rule

-That rule is no longer in place and Khan simply needed to get the uniforms approved by the league to make the switch

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I remember reading (but can't find it easily right now) that the 5-year rule would be flexible in the first couple of years after Nike took over. While that makes sense, especially from a marketing standpoint, and would effect very few teams (just Jacksonville and Detroit, right?), it could also be complete bull.

What the hell are you talking about? Do you watch the NFL at all?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I remember reading (but can't find it easily right now) that the 5-year rule would be flexible in the first couple of years after Nike took over. While that makes sense, especially from a marketing standpoint, and would effect very few teams (just Jacksonville and Detroit, right?), it could also be complete bull.

Jaguars , 49ers and Lions all changed in 2009.

Yeah they can't do that if the rules say 5 years. Why can't the Lions do something new? It is crazy that the Lions Aren't allowed to change their logo this year!

Why would they even consider changing their logo? There's no need.

Also, does the 5 year rule apply only to uniforms? Or does a logo change count too?

spacer.png

Archived